I Am Delighted! - Toms River, NJ

Hi all, I had laser lipo performed on January 17,...

Hi all, I had laser lipo performed on January 17, 2011. My physician used the "Slim Lipo" laser that utilizes a slightly different wavelength of laser than the tradition "Smart Lipo" laser procedure.

I am 38 years old, and have a 5-, 3- and 1 year old. Before I had children, I worked out with weights regularly and had a nicely muscled body. My body pretty much bounced back after baby #1, but baby's 2 $ 3 did a number on my stomach and back. I went back to my pre-preggo body weight, and all the rest of my body looked like it did pre-baby. But I had these persistent pockets of fat on my abdomen and flanks that would not budge with exercise. It just didn't feel "fair" that I exercised my entire adult life only to lose the positive aesthetic effects of exercise through child-bearing. So I decided to get the lipo. Believe me, it was not an easy decision. I am a hard worker, and if I could have gotten rid of the fat through exercise, then I would have done it by now.

I am a little over 1 month post-op, and I am perfectly delighted with the current results. I cannot wait to see the full effects at 3-6 months post-op. I have my perfectly flat belly back! Clothes look great again. I just couldn't be more pleased.

At this point in my recovery, my skin is still a little lose, but it is tightening quite nicely as the weeks go by. Everyone experiences subcutaneous "lumps" as the treated areas heal. I'm no 21-year-old running around on the beach with a bikini, so even if my skin doesn't tighten fully or if a little "lumpiness" remains, I am totally happy with the much improved "contour" of my body. The goal of lipo isn't perfection. It's improved contour. My shape is WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY improved. I actually have a waist again!

The procedure itself wasn't painful at all. The nurse/surgery coordinator kept reassuring me that the procedure wasn't painful, but I didn't believe her. At least not until I was about 5 minutes into it. I thought for sure that it would hurt a little bit, but it really didn't.

The pain started later in the afteroon when the local, tumescent anesthetic began to drain/wear off. It was easy to manage though. The first day and a half, I took the prescribed narcotic pain killer, but for the next few days after that, I simply took Tylenol. In fact, I took Tylenol regularly for the first 2 weeks whether I was in pain or not simply to reduce potential inflammation. That was my choice. It was not recommended or endorses by my physician.

To be perfectly honest, the hardest part of the recovery was wearing the damn compression garment. I called it an "instrument of torture." I hate tight clothes. I simply do not wear them-- ever! I had to wear the garment for 24 hours a day for the first week, and 12 hours a day for the subsequent 3 weeks (4 weeks total). I hated every minute of it, but I followed the doctor's instructions. There was no way I was going to risk messing up the results when I paid so much money and went through so much effort/discomfort.

In sum, laser lipo is no walk in the park, but I think that it was well worth it for me. Good luck to everyone!

Your experience sounds so similar to mine. I am one week post op and am very happy with the results. No pain during surgery and recovery is definitely challenging. I too am having trouble with the compression garment. my doctor has me wearing for for 2 weeks 24 hours a day! I am dying to take it off! But, like you I don't want to jeopardize all the time and money I have committed or the results I am so happy with. this was my 50th birthday present to myself. Sounds from you like things only get better. Good luck to you!
Happy Birthday! I think Lipo is a perfect gift to yourself.

The healing progresses a little bit more everyday, and once the compression garment is off, you will feel much better.

The first week that I didn't wear the garment at all, I actually was sore and swollen by the end of the day. My body missed the support that it provided. In fact, there were times when I actually put it back on to get some relief.

In about a week though, I felt fine. Even now (1.5 months post-op), I still am somewhat swollen by the end of the work day. Nothing that a little Tylenol can't manage though.

Best wishes!

Welcome to RealSelf and thanks for sharing your story so far. You're still pretty early in the recovery process so hopefully it will only get better from here. :)

Dr. Mitchell Chasin

Dr. C's staff was incredibly professional and polite. I was never kept waiting in the office, even when I arrived for my appointment early! Dr. C is very friendly and relaxed. He also is a very conscientious physician. I have a congenital blood disorder, and Dr. C did a very thorough follow-up with my hematologist to make sure the procedure would be safe and effective for me.