Ruptured PIP Implants Removed Without Replacement! -NHS

So I feel it's now my turn to share with you my...

So I feel it's now my turn to share with you my explant ordeal with all you wonderful ladies, as reading all your stories has been an amazing help to get me through this. Thank God for RealSelf! Sorry if i go on a bit, I just feel I need to get this all off my chest (haha)...

Ok, let's begin... I'm 32, 5 foot 10 and very skinny. I always hated being so thin and growing up I was obsessed with putting on weight, especially on my chest. I was a 34AA and felt this was way too small for my frame, I didn't feel womanly at all and was constantly obsessing with my minuscule boobies, trying to make them bigger with all sorts of herbal remedies, potions, pills and padding. Nothing really worked. So at 20 years old, I saved up my pennies and got me some breast implants. I went with the clinic Bodylooks for the price over anything as they were the cheapest! (Silly silly me).

At the appointment with the surgeon, I asked many questions, how long would the implants last etc. and I was told 'forever'!! I'd never need them replacing, I have a life time guarantee on them, the only risk he mentioned was capsular contracture. So I got 310 cc over the muscle silicone implants. I asked for a C cup but came out a DD. And was so happy! I loved my new big bouncing boobs and suddenly had so much more confidence, I didn't regret a thing. Although looking at my before explant photo on here they look way too big for my frame!

I enjoyed 11 delightful years with them until .... The dreaded PIP scandal arose. I didn't know what make implants I had as none of my notes gave me any usefull details like that, so I tried getting hold of the clinic only to find they'd gone bust (excuse the pun) years ago. After months of detective work trying to find out what I actually had in my body, it was confirmed by my surgeon I had PIPs. I had to go the NHS route as the clinic were no longer around, my surgeon didn't want to help at all and I couldn't afford to go privately.

A scan showed my right implant to be ruptured and my lymph nodes under my right arm full of silicone. This was obviously a massive shock, for some reason I didn't actually think it would happen to me! And to make it worse I was six months pregnant, so really worried about the harm to my baby. The surgeon at the hospital said I couldn't breast feed out of either breast, and to come back once I'd had my baby and they'd take the implants out.

So, I had my beautiful baby boy, all ready to bottle feed him, when the breastfeeding specialist at the hospital told me I can b/f, so I did for 7 weeks until I got mastitis, went to the docs who told me 'No you shouldn't be breastfeeding, your implants are cancerous and could be poisoning your baby!' Aaaargh!

So realising no one actually knows the effects of PIPs fully, I stopped. and was really desperate to get those toxic bags out of me. So I had an appointment with the NHS surgeon who just assumed I was going to get them re-implanted afterwards (as NHS will remove but not replace the PIPs, which I agree with). I explained I wasn't going to, and he basically told me I'd probably look deformed. He even asked if I'd ever been anorexic??! He told me about a private clinic which were doing a good deal for PIP victims and I should go check them out. So, feeling pretty low after that, I booked to have an appointment at this clinic he recommended. And guess who the surgeon was.... HIM! Hmmm just trying to make a few extra pennies maybe? He was much nicer in his private clinic, and to be honest, wasn't pushing me in to having them done, but I did come out of there thinking, yes I do still want implants.

After a few days of trying to make up my mind, I thought I would book a few more consultations with other clinics just to get some other opinions. Three different surgeons gave me conflicting information, and I felt they were just after my money and didn't care at all about anything else. This made my decision for me, I was going to explant and that was it. So, even though not best pleased with the NHS surgeon, he is meant to be the best there, and it's not like I can really pick who I want seeing as they're doing it for free!

So 17th Sept 2012 my surgery was booked for. My PS said he would also do a capsulectomy and use drains. I was so nervous and worried what they'd look like, 11 years of being stretched by implants, then pregnancy and breast feeding... but I was so desperate to get these ruptured poisonous sacks out of me. It was all over very quickly, I wasn't in much pain, I went home early as felt so fine, I didn't have drains of even any bandages which I thought was strange. And my boobs looked surprisingly big! They were never that big before I had implants? I was so happy, it all turned out much better than I expected! The only thing was that they felt kind of wobbly, like they were full of fluid. I could even feel like a wave of liquid under my skin when I moved. I had my follow up app a week later and was told all was fine the fluid will absorb soon.

Shortly after, my right boob started expanding even more, then my left one shrank! So I went back and not being able to see my original PS a different surgeon stuck a huge syringe into my boob and drained loads of 'old' blood out. It was pretty disgusting but it instantly felt relieved. I asked to see my post op notes as was concerned whether he'd done a capsulectomy as I didn't have any drains or told to wear any compression which I read was needed with this surgery, but my notes said total capsulectomy was performed. All was ok for a day or so then the same problem happened again, so I got them drained again....and again....and again...then at about 8 weeks post op, my left one swelled up too! I had hematomas in both which was apparently really rare. I seemed to get a different surgeon to see each time and each had a different view on what to do. One said I should leave the blood in there to solidify and then they'll look bigger. Although I liked the thought of them staying bigger, that didn't really seem like a healthy option!

After 2 and a half months of this I finally saw my original surgeon who admitted he never actually took the capsules out which is why they weren't healing as there was no rough surface for my tissue to heal to. And I'd need further surgery to take them out. Great! I wasn't at all happy but what could I do. If I'd gone privately things would be different, but being grateful the NHS would help me at all I didn't really feel in a position to complain!

My capsulectomy was booked for the 7th Jan, I was just as nervous as the first time but just wanted this whole thing over and done with so I could heal properly. The anesthetic really affected me this time, I know the surgery took longer than the first one but I was completely out of it for days afterwards. I stayed in the hospital over night as collapsed when tried to get up, I was hallucinating and all sorts it was horrible! The only chance I got to see the surgeon was when I had just come round, and I remember him saying 'Your capsules were really stuck in there, and I'm sorry but I've got to confess I cut.....' Cut what?! I couldn't remember what he said! Had he cut my nipple off?! I was completely bandaged up this time so couldn't have a peek till my app a week later. Luckily my nipples were still on! But there's an inch long scar on my back which he did when he slipped when operating. I still don't understand how he got my back?!

Anyway, my new deflated chest looked very sorry for itself. Caved in nipples, floppy wrinkled skin, no breast tissue whatsoever and big dents everywhere and my scars much longer. I burst into tears and the nurse said 'Don't worry, you can get implants'! Grrrrr! Does no one understand I NEVER want any more surgery!!

I was really down about it all for a good few weeks, but reading the stories on here made it a lot easier. My partner has been so supportive and says that what my boobs look like doesn't matter to him, there's so many more important things than boobs. And he's right! I still haven't had the guts to show him yet, I'm going to wait a little bit longer so I feel a bit more confident. (He might change his mind then!) They are improving slightly, and with massage my nipples perk up a bit, but I have no breast tissue left at all. They do look awful but I don't want my story to put off any one deciding whether to explant. There are loads of really good PS out there, unfortunately mine told a bit of a porky so had to go through a bit more of an ordeal but reading the other ladies stories on here it's usually much more straightforward and they have amazing results! And don't let my ninety year old man boob pics put you off, I doubt any of you have as little breast tissue as me!

Thanks again to everyone who wrote their stories and shared their pics on here, it really helped a lot with my decision. And you all look great! x

Wow, what an ordeal. You've been through so much, and I think you look amazing. You've got a nice shape to them, even if they are on the small side, who cares. They fit your small frame so much better. Give yourself time, I know it's frustrating. I've been dealing with a seroma, I'm 7 wks post explant. I've gone in twice for aspirations, and it keeps filling up. Dr. said it could take 3-4 times to go away, I'm hoping that's all, and Dr. not going in and putting drains. Right now my right boob is really hard, as it fills up with fluid. He didn't do a capsulectomy on me. I wonder if that's why I got the seroma. I'm sooo tired of dealing with this, I just want to go on with life, and put it all behind me. Sometimes I feel all alone, but then I remember all the awesome ladies here, and we are all going through this "together"
Thank you IttyBittiesAgain! Although I've just seen your pics, I think you look so great and they're a lot bigger than itty bitty! What a nightmare with the seromas tho, having them drained is horrible, I feel your pain. I'm sure they will heal soon. Just keep them compressed and like you said don't over do things (I know that's hard!) I too thought that it was 'fluffing' untill the scan showed it was just full of fluid! gutted. It's so wrong that surgeons tell ladies who want their implants removed that they'll look 'deformed' or 'saggy' and 'awful'. You are proof that you can look great after! So glad we have the support of all the ladies on here. Take care and I hope the seroma goes soon x
I think you look lovely! What a difficult journey you went through! Very puzzling how your back was cut. I am wondering if he tried to position you with the scalpel in his hand. :/ Do you have any lumps left behind from the hematomas? I am 3 months out and I can tell you I noticed a big improvement in my skin retraction and wrinkles filling just in in the last month, so expect good things!
Thanks NervousGirlie! That's good to hear there maybe some hope for improvement still.. Just had a peek at your pics, you're so lucky yours look amazing! Yes I think the hematomas may have contributed to the lumps, bumps and ridges in mine. I'm hoping massage and time will make them less obvious. I'll keep you updated! x
Lana36, You look great!!! Wow, what a story. Thanks for sharing!!
Thanks Lilyone, they've got a long long way to go before they look great but I'm trying to be optimistic! x
Bless you that you had to go through that ordeal...thank god you are on the other side. How the hell did he cut your back, id want some explanation for that...compensation mabey...? xx
I have no idea how he cut my back! I never got to see him properly afterwards to ask him how the hell he did it. I was just relieved my nipples were still on when my bandages came off...I'd really got it into my head he'd chopped one off accidently! I'd def be getting some compensation for that! xx
Hey there! Congrats on making it to the other side. Your story makes my blood boil. I went with Bodylooks too in 2000. Cost was the main factor. After trouble with them over the years I was offered removal on the NHS and the NHS consultant was awful telling me I would have deformed breasts and that I could see a PS a year later but doing anything with my breasts would be 'complicated' but hey implants would be an option for me!!!! I ran screaming for the hills after his scare mongering and lived with them for another 6 years, 12 years in total!!!! It was only when the PIP scandal emerged that I had no choice to go privately to have them removed and replaced (talked into it by PS) as no one was offering any reduced cost removal at that time and it was funny how nobody could give me a straight answer as to the risks of pips. I am so sorry you have had to go through all this but so happy for you that they are out and that you can now get on with your life x
Thank you, yes I'm so glad they're out. You're right, I don't think anyone actually knows the full risks of pips, I had so many conflicting opinions from doctors and surgeons, didn't really trust any of them! Were yours ruptured? I think Bodylooks were cheap for a reason, they were an absolute nightmare to try and get any info from after they closed down. Did you get the 'lifetime guarantee' ?! What a joke. I'm so glad you got them out, and hope you are happy with your nice new ones! x
Well i regret getting new ones big time and want to explant asap. My pips had gel bleed no major rupture and i just wanted them removed with a lift but again the surgeon said i wouldnt be happy with the results. So i had to deal with shock horror of the pips along with being told id look like crap without implants...so i caved...so regret it now though. I shudder whenever i think of the nonsense Bodylooks told us...we live and learn the hard way though dont we. I will explant some day but at the moment finances are an issue. I freak out about capsule removal though...i have no breast tissue left as it was all removed in my lift with new implants. Ill have to deal with it though when the time comes xx
Lol at 'life time guarantee' x
Yeh you're right, I've definitely learned a lot from this experience....don't trust all surgeons! It makes me really angry when I think back to my Bodylooks appointments, the lies they came out with. I was young and desperate for boobs tho at the time so believed anything! Who was your surgeon? Mine was Mr Aurakzai or something like that. I really feel for you, that's so wrong that your PS talked you into something you didn't want to do. There should be laws against it, they shouldn't be allowed to do it. Grrrr makes me mad xx
Mr Jeremy Roberts....I cringe thinking back to my meetings with him. I laugh now but I remember him saying that he would do a good price on a tummy tuck if I approached him directly at the hospital and not through Bodylooks. ... terrible. More often than not we approach these surgeons when we are vulnerable and unfortunately they do play on this vulnerability and talk us round into doing things that perhaps we may not have otherwise considered...and what is it with these surgeons giving us implants two maybe three cup sizes bigger than we request?!!! Xx
Yeay! You posted your story:-) What an ordeal you have been through. I think you look great what a change time makes. Your results are similar to mine. Even down to the nipples ( mine are still dented in tho) yours look good now so that gives me hope. Its so much nicer not having implants in, I don't know about you but I sleep much better. You still massaging? How the heck did he manage to cut your back?! Unbelievable that he also tried to treat you privately, I'm sure you have a good case if you were to complain xx
Yeh got it on here at last! Seen your latest pics, they look so good! That fenugreek oil really must be working wonders. I'm massaging lots, they are getting better but are still dimply, kind of looks like cellulite! I still find it uncomfortable if I sleep on my side for too long, they don't feel quite ready to be squished too much! I think I'm gonna have to go buy a bulk load of those primark bras, so comfy. You should be really pleased with yours, they have improved loads and you have a cleavage! Jealous! xx
The fenugreek makes me itch so I've stopped it!! Those pics of mine were after they were massaged, if left for 5 mins they droop and the damn nipples keep tucking in? I don't think I have any tissue to push them out-I'm hoping it will change. Yours look great and the pain will soon go. Mine were really tender and painful but now they are fine. It must be from having the capsules removed. Those primark bras are great:-) I don't even fit an A cup so I'm living in mine tucking in my pads!! They are so comfty xx
Oh wow, I'm so sorry for the ordeal you went through :( I'm glad your capsules are out now and you're healing. Your 2 month post pic really looks good!!!
Ahh thank you! They really aren't that good in the flesh, but are getting better, and so glad everything is out. x

Oh, you poor dear. What a run around you had. And I'm so tired of hearing that ladies' surgeons tell them they'll look deformed. What a terrible word.

I'm so glad you decided to share your story. I truly hope (and think) your breasts will fluff out as time goes on. You're a brave lady and I'm sure you're going to inspire so many others in a similar situation. Thank you!

I know, so many ladies have been told that by their surgeons to try and talk them into having their implants replaced, I almost was until I saw the results on here were actually good! Sorry I waffled on a bit, it's like therapy this site, getting everything out feels really good!