Results Not As Good As Expected - Newport Beach, CA

I am 47 and have a lot of wrinkles and sun damage....

I am 47 and have a lot of wrinkles and sun damage. I felt that my face looked old and haggard, while the rest of me looked and felt young. I consulted with four different doctors (3 dermatologists, one oculoplastic surgeon) and all said I was a great candidate. I went with one of the derms.

While my wrinkles, sun spots and laxity are reduced, I don't look as good as I expected. I still have a lot of lines around my mouth ("smokers lines"). Some friends have suggested I get fillers, but the whole point of the Total FX was so I wouldn't need a little of this, a little of that and endless spending on it. I also got Botox one week prior to the procedure on the doctor's recommendation so that my lines would be less pronounced during healing. I am now due for another Botox as the lines are returning, and frankly I think I had more improvement from the Botox than from the Total FX.

I also had a fairly uncommon side effect from the procedure, a bit of hyperpigmentation. You can still (3+ months later) see faint lines on my cheeks from the laser. This is not at all the doctor's fault, but is simply one risk and make-up has been able to cover it.

Hi Slurpee,

That sucks that you we're unable to get the desired results you were hoping for. You might want to check out the answers to the question in our doctor Q&A I'm Not Completely Happy with Full Face Total FX, some of the answers might help.

Thanks,

-Britt

Newport Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Dr. Gilbert is an outstanding doctor. My disappointment with the procedure has nothing to do with him, but perhaps my expectations were too high. I would recommend him for any cosmetic or medical dermatologic concern.