1st Fat Transfer-Very Happy- Newport Beach, CA

I just had my 1st stage fat transfer done on...

I just had my 1st stage fat transfer done on Thursday. I'm still in the recovery phase and won't really see the final outcome of the procedure for weeks.

I know I won't be disappointed. I have been using fillers to add volume to my face and that was just getting too costly. Fat transfer seemed to really be the only permanent solution for my concerns.

I have a long thin face and as I've gotten older I just had that "gaunt" look. And my skin quality was really getting bad.

I chose my Dr. to do my procedure based on his experience and expertise with Fat Transplantation.

I did it under local anesthesia, which eased my normal anxiety about general anesthesia. The procedure took about 2 hrs if I remember correctly.

I think he put fat in almost every place possible (cheeks, upper eyes, above the brow, temple, forehead and lower cheek). It was ALOT from what I gathered.

I'm quite swollen, don't look like myself, have bruises and some discomfort in my hips where the fat was taken from.

I will be excited to give an update on Real Self when my healing is almost done.

I have no doubts I will fully recommend this procedure!

I'm about 5 months post op now...I will be posting...

I'm about 5 months post op now...I will be posting my after photo shortly. I am very happy with my results. So many friends and family have commented how I look younger now. Before, my face was so hollow it was making me look older.

What is most interesting is that my overall skin quality has changed for the better. I've always had issues with acne breakouts and poor skin texture. I also have a dull tint to my skin color. I rarely have a pimple now and my skin texture is a little bit less "rough." I also have a healthier looking color to my face.

I will be having a little touch up or "2nd stage" fat transfer this year... I can use a little more volume in my temples, upper brow, and just a bit to my cheeks. In the meantime, to get me by until then, Dr. Cruise is going to use Juvederm to these areas. It's not that I don't look "good" right now, it's just that I'm really picky and want a slight bit more volume... Juvederm should accomplish that until I have my next fat transfer

If you look at my before and after picture you can...

If you look at my before and after picture you can definitely see the difference in the cheeks and lower face.

At this point, 1 year post-op, I am ready for a 2nd stage Fat Transfer. The majority of the fat placed in my temples didn't stay and I could use more volume in the lower eyelids/upper cheeks.
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Experience, expertise and knowledge, great staff and bedside manner

Gipsy girl...you look great! I had a fat transfer to my face along with a lower face lift about 7 yrs. ago by a super doc in the Main Line (Phila.) area. Like your experience of adding volume, the skin quality looked so good, which is a natural result of the area being plumped I guess. Anyway, I'm ready now to do it again at age 57 as some areas around chin, temple and upper cheeks need refreshing.
Good for you Chris. I had a fat transfer back in November 2009. I am still very happy with the results. It was a great thing for you.
Hi Gipsy Girl, if you are still around, could you tell me if you had the 2nd stage fat transfer already and if the grafts held up this time around ? Thank you.
You know I haven't yet had my 2nd stage. I was going to, but just got distracted with life....I will eventually, but I do have another surgery I need to have before doing that. I'm still very happy with my 1st stage though and couldn't be more pleased. Are you considering having it done/
I do think that people who work for, are closely associated with, or provide some sort of support on behalf of a doctor should have to disclose that status when writing posts. But, that's RealSelf's call. I completely disagree with people who make harsh judgements when people are kind enough to post their pictures. It's on par with the cruelty of the show "The Swan." On top of it, this is so subjective. While I don't care for the work of this Doctor for good reason, he does have some satisfied patients. Some people don't mind looking completely different and are happy. That said, I don't think having visible lumps is a subjective thing! That's just wrong.
Hello,
1) I've met this thread author and I would say that she is someone who would be considered a good candidate for the procedure. That said, she did look like a completely different person (not worse) after the procedure. But if she was happy with it it, then who are we to judge. She's a good person who wanted to share. Please note, she also worked for Dr. Cruise when she had the procedure done and wrote this review. There are a few posters here who also serve as "mentors" for Dr. Cruise. The unbiased nature of these posts is my bigger issue. 2) Dr. Amar is a bit controversial. The patients I've seen don't necessarily have the lumps we all complain about; however, they do look completely different. I think he injects deep which makes it hard to remove as well. One patient has been distraught for years over the results. 3) As someone who has had the fat inserted and removed, I can tell you that it is a nightmare - more emotionally than even physically. I wouldn't wish this procedure on my enemies. I just recently had a forehead/temple lift to continue to the improvement process. So far the recovery has been so much easier than my bad Fat Transfer. When you go to the right doctor, amazing things can happen. When you go to a hack - the result is that you just get HACKED!
Nothing wrong I suppose with posting a review if you are an employee of your doctor who performed the surgery... like Dr. Cruise's patient here ... however, it becomes more suspect when that isn't disclosed somewhere in their review. It would be better just to be open about it and let people make their own judgements regarding any bias. A more honest approach too.
I have not seen good results with Dr Cruise's patients. His staff hung up on me when I asked them if the results were permanet. They would avoid the issue and the were rude.
Don't get it...what do you mean "completely different"? She looks great , with the subltleness of added volume....
Just read your previous comments and I feel so relieved your going to a doctor in LA, I think I know who he is. Your in very good hands, thank heavens he is helping you. Please keep thinking positive thoughts new procedures and methods are coming out, there are so many women living with this same
nightmare. Stay strong.
I am very sorry that happened to you. On this blog I have seen some of the plastic surgeons say "you can take it out, it is just doing the reverse of putting it in."
Easier said than done. In some cases it is impossible, or it could actually be made even worse in trying to get it out. Be careful if you try to get it out there are so many things to know and to be aware of.
-:- Message from RealSelf staff -:-

Mine is permanent - permanent DAMAGE !! Lumps. I look terrible ! Have been trying to have it fixed. I have been told it will never be the way it was before the FT. I look 10 years older than I did before the procedure.
My damage is permanent too with little hope of even looking close to the way I did before and I bigger chance it could get worse.. I've have been to 4 top Beverly Hills plastic surgeons and one in Hawaii...none are optimistic about my chances of improvement and one told me he wouldn't even try. You risk a 50/50 chance that you will wake up every morning looking at your grandmother staring back at you from your mirror. Well, maybe even not that good. None of us who have had this go bad, ever thought it could happen to us...but it did. Please reconsider...don't put yourself thru this hell.
I would not recommend this procedure. Dr. Cruise's staff even admitted to me that it is NOT permannent. This is why the lady will not post updated pics.
Don't do it unless you go to a highly recommended Doc!
-:- Message from RealSelf staff -:-

I think after all these reviews, I might just want to get F/T for the nose bridge since I think fat is easier to excise there? Because I only need F/T on one side of my face I'm terrified that it might come out uneven. Screwed if I do, screwed if I don't.
Popthehood...I have been told that fat "grafts" work better and can be more easily removed if necessary. You might want to look into that instead of fat transfer. Sounds like you just need it in specific areas so you would likely be a good candidate for a graft. The reason fat "transfer" is so hard to remove is because it gets between several layers of skin. A graft is in one piece, so can be removed without damaging the surrounding tissue. Many use the terms transfer and grafting interchangably, but I have been told that technically there is a difference when referring to a "graft". I think if you stay away from your eyes, you may have a better chance at success. Fat transfer is so unpredictable. There is no way to predict or prevent, what transfered fat will survive or die (or simply absorb). Hence the unevenness and lumps. I don't believe it matters how skilled the doctor is/or isn't...everyone responds differently because of their unique body chemistry. But plastic surgeons don't seem to want to admit that. Maybe its an ego thing...as if they alone have discovered the magic technique to make it work. Certainly my original p/s felt that way. Apparently he was wrong. IMHO, fat transfer is like going to Vegas...a gamble. I do wish you luck.
Awesome information. Thanks lots for that, notsogood.
I have read about "stem cells fat transfer", a procedure which adds something to the fat before it's injected back in your body and increases fat survival rate. I have consulted a couple surgeons who charge between $1,000-$1,500 extra. I want to do the fat transfer to my breasts in addition to breast lift because I don't like the feel of silicone or saline implant at all. Any comment on the "stem cell" procedure? Thank you.
I personally would be very suspect of that claim. Do a lot of research first and ask a few other plastic surgeons about it first just to make sure. The terminology may just be a way to enhance the cost rather than an actual change in procedure. If that technology was really valid and available, I would think all PS would be using it. Just a thought.
You might also want to look at the review by "Good Face Gone Bad" under "Fat Transfer-Gambling with you Face-California". And be sure to read the comments under that review discussing fat transfer.
jv179...I just found an informative review at this site called "FAMI "Stem Cell" Graft - Marbella, Spain" written by "badfatgraft" and dated May 2011. You might want to write a PM to her as she has gone thru all this already and has learned a great deal. She lives in Texas, but had it done in Spain. Good luck and please be cautious.
and
www.nycfami.com
dr fox is the only one in the US certified by dr amar
the results are fantastic, but the proper processing of the adipose fat must be done at high speeds, and the proper technique used, with the proper instruments designed to contour the face, and most doctors will not take the time out of their practices to learn it, since it takes a lot of skill and time to do. the sites speak for themselves,i am a physician and have extensively researched this and spoken to patients who have had it done by both fox and amar.it requires cadaver work and training. for breasts it is probably amar. for faces either one. sylvia at amar's office can talk to you or email them. if you cannot travel far, and need breasts done, call dr rodriguez in maryland. for faces only use amar or fox.