Scar Removal Great but There is a Reason No Plastic Surgeon Specializes in Scar Removal - Newport Beach, CA

I wanted to sit down and review my experience with...

I wanted to sit down and review my experience with working with my plastic surgeon. I had amazing neck lift done by him (see photos here) and decided to have a scar revision done by my plastic surgeon. I should mention what my plastic surgeon originally said to me when I spoke to him about Scar Revision. “You will notice that virtually no plastic surgeon actively pursues scar revision.

The reason why it because scar revision is the number one consultation that I decline to do. I will not perform a surgery unless I am 95% certain that I will meet or exceed my patients expectations. Simply put, scar revision routinely falls below this standard.”

This section is borrowed from My Plastic Surgeon’s website "An important aspect of scar revision is understanding the differences between the types of scars and the different ways people heal. Scars can be classified into 3 different types. The first and most common type is the unfavorable scar. This type of scar can usually be dramatically improved if the precise plastic surgery planning and repair are performed. This type of scar is caused by either poor original repair or no repair at all leaving the wound to heal on its own. The second type is the hypertrophic scar. This type is widened and is usually hard. It too is amenable to scar revision. The third and most difficult scar to revise is the keloid. A keloid is a scar that does not know when to stop growing. The scar keeps forming. It gets bigger and bigger until eventually it is bigger that the original injury. This type of scar is prone to return. In addition to surgical techniques, there are medications and injections that can be used to make scars heal better as well as making them softer and less itchy." I happen to be the first type the unfavorable scar that originally had no repair work done. It was caused by an embarrassing boil years ago.

It’s been a month and I can just go on and on about positive things about my plastic surgeon. I can also do the samething for his staff- Jola the office manager, Cristin my lovely patient coordinator and of course Joanne the nurse in the office. Everybody has such a great warm energy and makes every experience that much better. If you are thinking of having anything done I strongly recommend having a consultation with my plastic surgeon to see what he suggests. Take a look at my neck lift photos to see the type of results he can produce. Click on my profile to see these photos.

Dr. Joseph Cruise

I originally saw him for my neck lift which was such an incredible job. He is very skilled.

I had a consult witih Dr. Cruise for my Tummy Tuck awhile back and ended up going with a different doctor. HUGE mistake! I will deffinatly be going to Dr. Cruise once I have healed so he can fix what this Dr has done. So in the end, I will end up paying him what I saved going with the "cheaper" doctor in the first place. Lesson learned.
On why plastic surgeons don't specialize in scar revision, I think the reason also has to do with economics. A surgeon can't support himself on scar surgery work. I do a fair number of scar revisions and patients when carefully selected tend to be as happy as you are. Best Regards, Dr D

Robert - thanks again for posting.  For those interested, here is Robert's neck lift post