Ready for my New Nose - Newport Beach, CA

Hello all, like most on this site I've struggled...

Hello all, like most on this site I've struggled with self-esteem issues ever since I can remember. To clarify, it was mainly my image that I could not learn to love. Now, I don't mean to sound like a vain debbie-downer but growing up being teased for a larger than "normal" nose can do some work on a frail insecure little girl. I remember thinking of rhinoplasty for the first time at age 12. In fact, I couldn't wait to grow up just to have it done. Fast forward many MANY years later, I'm finally ready. I must admit, it took me awhile to even schedule a consultation because I'm deathly afraid of surgery but most importantly because of my hectic work schedule. After reading many promising reviews, I decided to schedule a consult with Dr. Elam. The day of my consultation seemed to drag longer than normal, I just couldn't wait to get it over with but as soon as I walked into his office I was greeted with warm and friendly smiles. Dr. Elam and his entire staff were very helpful and walked me through every step of the procedure. They answered all questions I had long before I could even ask them. I felt so comfortable that I just seized the moment and spontaneously booked my surgery. The second I got home it hit me like a brick wall that I had done it, I had placed a down payment and booked a date.

Just 2 weeks left

I had my pre-op today and it's beginning to feel all the more real. While my nerves and excitement are at an all time high, I was relieved at how informative my pre-op was. I was given instructions to prepare for my surgery and a goodie bag filled with items I may need before and after surgery. I have also researched and purchased a few item other realselfers have found helpful. I was also advised to start a salt free diet and am finding it very difficult as most foods have salt, any idea's my fellow realselfers?

Before Pics

Decided to post a few before pics.

It's Done

My surgery was scheduled for 6:30am this morning and as soon as I got there, it was show time. I spoke to the nurse who asked me a few questions about my diet and any medication I was taking, soon after Dr. Elam came in to discuss my procedure. I was then taken into the operating room where I met my anesthesiologist, we where conversing about my job and that's all she wrote. I woke up and immediately noticed the packing in my nose and incredibly dry mouth. I asked the nurse for some water and she kindly fed it to me.

The drive home was ok, haven't felt any pain yet (knock on wood) and hope it doesn't come. The bruising and swelling on the other hand were almost instant but I'm not to worried about it yet. I tried icing my eyes and around my nose but am too afraid of hurting my new nose.

Cast Removed

My stitches and cast were removed today. Overall, it was okay. I only felt a bit of pressure but no pain at all. When Dr. Elam handed me the mirror and I saw my reflection for the first time I was instantly in tears and embarrassingly could not stop them. I loved my nose at first sight but after my long ride home and seeing my family's reactions I am second guessing my decision. Everyone is saying that my nose looks the same and this bump is seriously getting to me. I've read that it is normal to have a bump form after the cast is removed and that it should go down with time. I guess I was expecting a smoother bridge but I'll need to be patient. Anyone else out there this has happened to? And if so, any suggestions?

10 Day Post Op

So I met with Dr. Elam today and I feel as though he has releived so much worry. I have started seeing the bump slowly disappear and I'm hoping it's completely gone soon. The swelling is still there but it's a waiting game from here on out. He took and gave me my 10 day post op before and after pics and here they are.

One Month

Since surgery, my nose has changed day after day. I have to admit sometimes the swelling gets to me but I try and stay positive by telling myself it's too soon to see my final result. The tip of the nose is what swells up the worst, usually at the end of the day. I also still have a tiny bump and pray everyday that it goes away but overall I'm very happy and I am excited for all this swelling to go down.

I haven't been able to breath very well either, especially from my left nostril and I've been told I began snoring since my surgery, I know it's embarrassing but true lol.

Two Month Update

No major changes since my last update. I still see a tiny bump but it hasn't bothered me too much these days.

I recently reconnected with an old friend and to my surprise he actually noticed the difference in my nose. I hadn't told anyone about my surgery except close family and two of my best friends. To hear him notice the change was surprising but I was also excited to share my experience with him. It's funny because I was so embarrassed and self conscious about my nose but recently it has given me a whole new confidence in myself.
Orange County Facial Plastic Surgeon

Beautiful results. I know my nose isn't going to be perfect when i have my surgery. Its going to be an improvement. I would be very happy if my nose looked similar to your new nose.
Has the bump you had gone down? I started forming a small bump on the side of my nose... In getting worries because I feel like its getting bigger :(
Hi beautiful, yes it has! Not completely but as the swelling goes down it'll get better. Take a look at my recent pics, you could kind of still see it but it's only been 2 1/2 months since surgery.
You look beautiful, you can barley see you bump. Mine is barley noticible to and overall I love my nose so much better. My bump went down a little I'm hoping is goes down more soon. How's yor breathing?
I am 19 post op, I do have a straight bridge but my tip is still very bulbous due to swelling and my columella hangs a lot lower.. Still can't really stand to take pictures of myself straight on :( This waiting game sucks.. Right there with ya girl. Keep us updated!
Hello sweetness, I feel ya! It's been an emotional 2 1/2 months. The swelling comes and goes and I too felt like my tip was very bulbous post op. It has since gone down but usually get swelling towards the end of the day. Hang in there babe!
on the picture of "cast removal" your nose after the cast came off looks very bumpy.... was it like that, or is it bad lightning?
It was actually like that. The lighting wasn't the best but I really had that bump. It's gone down since then but you can imagine how devastated I was immediately after having my cast removed and seeing it. I imagined having flawless results like I see most people have but it's been a process for me.
Oh my gosh, I know. When I saw that picture, I was like "what the hell" I immediately felt sorry for u and couldn't believe it. You must if felt horrible ey? How did the doctor react? Was it obvious to him, it was just a swollen tissue or something? When and at what point did u notice, its going down andeventually going away? I always wondered, when a doctor is done with a rhinoplasty, he should double check, the nose is flawless with no bumps left over, then finish the surgery. I'm glad it went down my dear, seriously it looks awesome. You are seriously a beautiful girl. If id see you, id def give u compliment on your nose :) How did friends and co workers who didn't know u had this done react? Did people noticed u look different? Id love to know more, if you don't mind. Thanks for taking the time to reply to me. I'm having my own surgery done in May
Hello and thank you! You're so sweet. My doctors reaction wasn't bad the bump wasn't too noticeable when I first had my cast removed it wasn't until I got home that I noticed it. I now realize it was the swelling that caused it. I started to notice it go down about week 2. I didn't tell many people so no one really mentioned a difference to me. No one stared or made me feel uncomfortable so I just imagined they couldn't tell a change. Best of luck on your upcoming surgery. Wish you amazing results and keep us posted. I'd love to read your review.
Looks fantastic! Both front and side views looks really good. Hopefully the swelling comes down soon. Best wishes. :)
Thank you beautiful and good luck on your upcoming surgery.
Thanks. I can't wait
Hopefully all these issues will resolve soon. Your nose looks beautiful. He did an excellent job! My revision is coming soon and I hope I get the nose that I have always wanted.
Thank you and I hope so too. Good luck on your revision, I'll look forward to your review and results. Best of wishes to you.
Thanks. I already posted a review here.
Your new profile is beautiful! This is a slow, emotional recovery. I guess we just need to remember to be patient. I am also 1 month post op and my nose changes almost daily. Cannot wait to see my final results. Happy healing! You look great!
Thank you! Yes it is a very slow and emotional recovery. I read so many positive reviews and I was not ready for this but I trust I'll love my final outcome. Happy healing to you as well!
I am the very same as you iv still a small bump and tip swollen its getting to me too im obsessing abit hopefully as time goes on it will go down:)
I know what you mean. I can't stop obsessing over it either! Fingers crossed for us both.
Hello! Are are things going?
Everything's going good. My nose changes everyday. Someday's the swelling is worst than others but I'm staying positive.
Looks great. I am considering the same doctor so keep us updated. :)
Thank you, I will!
Omg it looks so good! Are you still very swollen?