My Schnozzle Saga - Newport Beach, CA

"Mom-why are you dong this?? You've had this nose...

"Mom-why are you dong this?? You've had this nose your whole life!"
"Yes - I've noticed that."
"You won't be our mom any more! We won't look alike!"
"You girls have always been and will always be beautiful."
"You won't be able to play with the boys." (my extreme grandsons)
"I'll wear one of their football helmets when we play"
"You're turning your back on our Mayan heritage!"
"The Mayan people will get over it and forgive me."

One day after my 65th birthday (three-daughter push-back aside), and with wonderful husband, 2 sisters and step-mom support, I had my rhinoplasty surgery! (My daughters still disagree with my decision, but supported me anyway). 53 years of detesting my nose - and now I have a new one!!!

The nose packing was removed today (12/12) and though my face is quite bruised and puffy, I see that the drooping columella is gone - hooray! I'll find out how my other two issues ( dorsal hump and supra tip lobule) have been resolved next week at "the reveal" when the nose splint is removed.
So far:
-pre-op anxiety is real and unavoidable. Keep your mind busy with other matters. If you do your research and are satisfied with your choice of surgeon, be at peace and trust her/his expertise.
- though price-y, purchase anti-nausea Rx. You "bought" the surgery, so do not scrimp on these meds!
-immediately post-op I felt like my mouth and throat were the Sahara desert. Take ice chips ASAP
-Ice-ice-ice your face! Keep icing! Frozen berry or veggie packages easily conform to your face.
- I experienced post-sugery pain and headache. By staying up with my pain meds I've managed the pain. Today, the 2nd day, am pretty much pain-free with decreasing dosage. Maybe tomorrow just extra-strenght Tylenol.
-the nose packing is weird and unpleasant! Think the worst cold you've ever had with both nostrils totally stuffed up. You'll mouth breathe til the packing come out-usually one day post-op. Room humidifier is great, as are cough drops and lip balm.
-re swallowing with nose packing: I found that small sips and swallowing with open mouth worked best
-you'll be so happy to get that nose packing out! Be prepared for a weird sensation when it's removed. It is not painful at all-just a weirdly unpleasant pulling feeling. The inside of your nose may feel a bit "gushy" immediately afterward - but it won't bleed.
-take stool softeners til you have that first "smooth move!" You don't want to strain at all. The worst combo for creating constipation is anesthesia, codeine and a bland diet.
-drink lots and lots of fluids

So far - so good! I'll keep you posted! This forum is the BEST! It provides great support and personal experiences about what to expect! Thank you to all who have posted. You smoothed the way for me.
Wishing you a speedy recovery! Thanks for sharing with us and I hope you keep us posted!

My Schnozzle Saga

End of Day 3. Most uncomfortable and most "unattractive" day so far, however I cannot believe how fast the bruising and swelling have passed through the course of this day! I attribute this to the arnica which so may "posters" have recommended - as did my doctor---started taking orally one week prior and will continue 2 weeks post-op. Amazing stuff. Despite swelling and nose cast, I can already tell Dr. Niccole "nailed" the angle of the end of my nose! The same angle as the rendering. So I'm puffy, excited - and soooo and happy!
Thanks! Thanks! Yes - will share. Wed is the big day! I appreciate your encouragement

Good for you! I love that you did what you wanted even though your daughters weren't into the idea. And I love your review. I'm sure it will help so many others getting rhinoplasty. Thank you immensely for sharing. I'm looking forward to hearing what you think when the cast comes off!

Happy healing and congrats.

My Schnozzle Saga

Schnozzle Saga

Day 2 selfie - wait -- it gets more colorful!
Congratulations! I had my surgery at 45 and love reading stories like yours. It's never too late hey? Happy healing and I hope you adore the results.
Thank you! Nope- never too late. And it seems you enjoy your new look. Hooray for us!
Orange County Plastic Surgeon

+Board certified in two areas: Ear-nose-throat and cosmetic surgery +wonderfully experienced-has done rhinoplasty just about every day for the past 30+ years +affiliation with well-respected local hospital +excellent anesthesiologist and positive, supportive, and encouraging, caring staff I appreciate his humanitarian philanthropy-- donating plastic surgery to children and adults affected by muscular dystrophy. Note: my overall rating below is based on my evaluation of his professional training and expertise and experience. My assessment of his follow-up care is based on one day (I am one day post-op) -- though I am certain and hope it will continue to be very good. He, or his staff, have answered all our questions throughout the process. I would highly recommend Michael Niccole.