I Maybe a Daddy's Girl, but It Doesn't Mean I Need my Daddy's Nose - Newport Beach, CA

I have been thinking about a nose job on and off...

I have been thinking about a nose job on and off for a number of years, and at 38 I finally feel ready for it. Can you believe it took that long?

I’ve been known to be pretty sensitive, so something like this is a big deal to me. It's not just the physical, but emotional transformation that I have had to prepare myself for, one that I have not taken lightly. I’ve had to work at it and I can now say I am ready to embrace the next chapter of my life.

Growing up, I was a daddy's girl, so much that I even got his nose?. My sister got my mom's cute nose, one that fits her face perfectly.

For a number of years, I liked that I had my dad's nose. I was kinda proud, and primarily it was a way for me to hide behind someone else. But the older I get, and the more comfortable I am in my own skin and identity, it is time to have the nose that belongs to me. The nose that is in line with my face.

Over the years, I have confided in a few close friends about my decision about wanting a nose job, and since I decided to go through with it now, everything has fallen rapidly into place.

I have researched lots of plastic surgeons over the years, and of course followed celebrities and their nose jobs, but never went on any consultations of my own. I let it just stay in the idea, in the dream.

Since opening up the conversation of wanting a nose job again in May 2014, this time I actually went on three consultations. Two doctors were referred by friends, which were great, but I wanted to find the doctor that was right for me.

On Thursday July 10th, I googled rhinoplasty and came across realself.com, and by the end of the day, I had made an appointment with Dr. Michael Elam in Newport Beach (a 50 mile drive) for Friday July 11th. Like a woman on a mission, I drove 2 and a half hours to meet this Dr. and see if we had the trust, comfortability and experience I was looking for.

I have a strong instinct and the older I get I know I’ve made the best decisions based on it.
When I met Dr. Elam, I knew right away that he was the one. I felt at ease and comfortable knowing that a doctor with this much experience would perform the surgery that I have wanted for some time.

To top it off a few days after my consult, one of my dearest doctor friends found out from a plastic surgeon friend of hers at UCLA Medical, that Dr Elam is highly recommended and has a good reputation amongst his peers. It's comforting knowing even your peers think you're great!

I have my surgery booked for August 14th, 2014 and go in for my pre – op on July 31st.

I’m excited to update my status and add more before/after pics as I get closer to the pre – op and surgery. I found a ton of support in reading other peoples blogs and reviews here and happy that I discovered realself.com. It’s truly an online community that makes a difference!!

xo
sy
You are in great hands, no pun intended, and his staff is the BEST!
Thank you!! I really connected with Dr. Elam. Just felt confident to put my nose in his hands:) felt right instantly.
I am scheduled for August 6th. I have the Dad nose as well. I'm so excited and nervous!! Best of luck to everyone on their upcoming surgery!!

Pre- Op

Had my pre-op on Thursday 7/31. Dr. Elam's staff was wonderful. I received a bag of recovery goodies, and we went over all the information. I picked up my prescriptions and did my blood work.
I just need to come up with a few meal plans for the recovery week, that don't have salt or dairy, and then I'll have to have very minimal salt for a few weeks after that.

I don't have long to go now. A part of me feels like it's already happened, I think because I have wanted it on and off for so long. I feel like I'm more going through the motions.

I've added some before pics that date back 10 years - present.

Cheers!
You have beautiful bone structure and eyes- you'll be so gorgeous!! Happy for u chasing your dream. Dr.oz 3 day detox smoothies: salt free and healthy fyi
Thank you! Will check it out!
I have my dad's nose too!! You look beautiful already. All the best for you, looking forward to your results!!

Surgery

I had surgery at 6:30am this morning.

Everything went pretty smoothly. Nurses were really sweet and my doctor was great. My anesthesiologist started talking about restaurants, and what my fav one in LA was. I started with Italian, but didn't make it to French.

Car ride home was ok. I just felt really hungry. But couldn't really eat anything. Been bleeding, and changing the gauze. Eek.

Haven't taken any pain or nausea meds feel too woozy, but may take a Tylenol. I just seem to keep drifting in and out of sleep.

I've sneezed a few times, was worried about it, but keeping my mouth open. It's like your body knows everything it needs to do. My thoughts just need to stay out of the way!!

I'm quite swollen and have bruising under the eyes.

Will report more, when I'm not so spaced out.
Thank you for your post. I actually got my mom's nose. It is horrible. I am 39 and waited a long time to get this done, like you did. Not sure why I waited, but anyway my surgery is on 8/29 and I'm full of nerves, but excited to get this done. I accidently came across a post on here yesterday where the girl was devistated by her results and hated her life now. That kind of concerns me. Hope you contiune to recover well!
I'm so excited for you! Honestly, I don't know why I wanted so long either! It is so worth it. I think keeping a positive mind set and wanting the best nose that suits your face and of course having the right doctor for you, you'll get the results you want!
First few days are the worst but it gets better! Im only at day 10 but I can already breath wayyyy more than the first couple of days, hang in there!

Recovery pics

I hadn't posted pics during my recovery. I had my surgery on a Thursday and went back to work on Monday. I got tired easily, but rested a lot over the weekend. I work in an office with 4 people, so I felt comfortable going back to work with my cast on.

Cast off pics

Loving the profile!!

Since my cast came off on Thursday 8/21. I've had a lil runny nose and congestion still. My doctor said he did some extensive septum work. I still have a lot of swelling and bruising that needs to heal, but I love my new nose. It's what I wanted. It fits my face, subtle, but has made a huge difference.
Look forward to the 1 month mark!
I just had my rhinoplasty 2 days ago packing came out today had anyone else had body aches from the anesthesia?
Beautiful!

Loving the profile

I'm now at 5 weeks since my surgery and 4 weeks since my cast was taken off. I want to share some new pics to show the progress.

All my bruising is gone, but I feel swelling when I wake up in the morning, and the tip still feels sensitive and numb.

My doctor didn't advise me to tape my nose, but he did ask that I do some nose compression exercises, 3 times a day for a 1 minute at a time. This is to keep the shape in place. The first week or so was a lil painful, but now it's not too bad.

I cannot believe again how long it took me to do this. I have no regrets, and all I tell people is that finally I just feel like myself.
You look stunning!
Orange County Facial Plastic Surgeon

So far a great consultation. Will add more when I go for pre - op and surgery! Pre- Op was great. Got all the information I needed and a cooler of recovery goodies. Was clear with Dr. Elam. He's the real deal. Got a big hug from the staff. 2 weeks to go! Will add more after surgery. Got to surgery early. Nurses and staff again were awesome. Dr. Elam was excited to work on my nose!! As was I to go through with it. Surgery went smoothly and came back the following day to take the packing out. Dr Elam really cares about your well being. He asked that I come back for another day before he removes the cast so he can clean it up for me. Overall, feel very supported and comfortable knowing I will get the best result.