Horrendous Pain - New York, NY

Think long and hard before getting the Zoom...

Think long and hard before getting the Zoom Whitening....the 'sensitivity' is much more painful than you may prepare for.

I got the Zoom Whitening for $100 because I work at a dentist office (reception). I did everything as instructed (used Flouridex for over a week prior, took Ibuprofen before and used the Sensitivity gel that comes with the Post Care kit). I don't have sensitive teeth, so even though I knew the sensitivity was going to happen, I had no idea how severe the pain would be. I had experienced a few of the 'zingers' (shockwaves of sharp pain through teeth) with Crest Whitestrips and even though they are a fairly piercing pain, they lasted 2 or 3 seconds at most and at most, I would experience maybe 5 or 6 of them after using the strips.
I didn't have the 'zingers' until the end of the fourth session with Zoom and they felt similar to the zingers I had experienced with crest ws. I finished the treatment at 12:30 in the afternoon. After the procedure, I had a few more of the zingers, but barely felt anything out of the ordinary for a few hours later. Completely tolerable,

Around 4:30, I suddenly started feeling the zingers again, but the intensity of them continually increased and they were very frequent (a few every minute) I did a second round of the Sensitivity relief that comes with the kit, but felt no relief at all. I took Exedrin too. By 7:00, the pain was so excruciating, I could not talk (any air hitting my teeth hurt so bad) and laid down in bed because I couldn't even think straight. All I could focus on was the awful pain. It felt like a zinger never subsided. It's a constant, sharp and piercing pain- NOT a mild or temporary painful sensation.

Although the whitening looks good, I would not recommend this to anyone. The pain is not worth it at all. Trust the reviews you see. Had I paid full price for this, I would be very angry.

Wow, thank you for sharing this. Being that you work in a dental office you have a very unique perspective to share with us all. I too get little zingers from the Crest White Strips, so I've always been too afraid to try Zoom. Reading this pretty much cements in my mind that Zoom would be too much for me to tolerate.

I am glad that at least you saw good whitening though. Think how much more of a bummer it would have been to go through that and not see much change!

If you feel comfortable sharing, I would love to know if the dentist you work for has tried Zoom him/herself, and what they said about your experience.