Didn't Improve Much, Might Have Worked Better if Lower Face Was Done at Same Time - New York, NY

I am 57 years old and had loose skin on my neck...

I am 57 years old and had loose skin on my neck (just below the jawline, not lower part of neck) from a combination of losing weight (30lbs) and age. The procedure was done at a leading NY laser center 9 months ago. The pain was tolerable, though I understand that Ultherapy hurts more in areas where bone is directly under a treatment area, such as the forehead. There was a small improvement, though less than I had hoped. Now I have noticed that the skin on my lower face also has quite a bit of laxity (though it doesn't appear so loose as my neck does) and I wonder if I had Ultherapy on my lower face at the same time as my neck, if it would have helped to pull on the loose skin on the neck tighter at the same time. I don't want a facelift, but I am concerned that if I have Ultherapy for my lower face and my neck again and they don't work, it will be a lot of money wasted.

well known New York laser center

The MD was very knowlegable and had good bedside manner. The normal follow up time is 3-6 months to see the results. I didn't need anyone to tell my how much it improved and it isn't easy for me to get to New York City, so I haven't retuned. I do plan to do so and MIGHT consider a redo with my lower face being done at the same time. I do not blame the MD for the poor results, I understand every one reacts differently. If it is the fact that if your lower face is lax, and it should be done at the same time as the neck (under chin) I hope he will remember that in the future.

If you are only in your 40s, are not a smoker and haven't lost a lot of weight, I would definitely try Ulthera first. You're probably at least 15 years younger than I am and therefore have better collagen. The plastic surgeon has his own bias towards surgery (I'm not saying he's being unethical, only that he has a bias), so he will recommend surgery. I say this as a medical professional, not just as an Utherapy patient. If you start having plastic surgery too soon, it might well end up leading to more plastic surgery when you're not that old. I would try the conservative route first. Most people seem to have had better results with Ultherapy than I have had.

This is interesting, because I was just talking last week with a very well respected facial plastic surgeon here in Seattle about the under the chin area. I'm just starting to see the loose skin develop, and kind of know what is coming because my mom has the same thing but quite a bit more severe since she is obviously much older than I am.

The doctor told me Ultherapy, thermage and those sorts of things won't help because although they might tighten the skin it will just get pushed back down due to the strength of the underlying tissue and muscles in that area. He said when it was time a mini-necklift would be the best course of treatment. Obviously I can't say if its the same for you, but it might be worth researching before spending any more money on things that will tighten the skin, only to have it pushed back down by the other structures in that region.

Here is a review of Eric K's chin lipo, and if you scroll down you will see where he talks about its limited success and how he ultimately realized what was needed was a Platysmaplasty to help with the area.

So, anyways, I hope this helps give you some more info. Dang that loose skin under the chin anyways!! ;)