Male Septorhinoplasty, a Bump Once Hated Now Missed - New York, NY

Hello people around 4 weeks ago i underwent...

hello people around 4 weeks ago i underwent setporhinoplasty, i had a really bad septum and couldn't breathe correctly, it all started with breaking my nose as a kid and doing nothing about it, i also had a bump on my nose which i wanted removed, now that its done i have say i can breathe like never before, which is great. my nose used to be more convex shape like the letter D, although just wanted a small amount of my bump removed so my nose still looked a little convex but not much, now it looks more like a the letter C and the tip is slightly upturned, more of a feminine concave nose.

Being a male i wanted a bridge with a little bump i believe it shows some sort of character, its only has been 4 weeks so i am hoping the tip will drop a little more in size because i believe my tip is way to big for my bridge now, i don't know if its just the fact that i have been used to having the bump, which looked really bad but now i kinda miss it, when i look in the mirror its not me, and i really want the old me back, it has made me very depressed.

i have also high anxiety along with nerves about what other people are going to say and think, it really worries me for some reason even thou i know it should not,i don't want to be that person who was talked about how he had plastic surgery even thou it was for a deviated septum the bump removal would of been a bonus only if he left a small portion there maybe even 1mm just so my nose does not look to concave, i don't feel right anymore, i just hope there is more swelling on the tip then the bridge so that when the tip goes down it sort of matches the bridge a little better so its straight not curving up.

in the end i should of just had the septoplasty, even thou i hated my nose and people would call it big i didn't really care it was me, and that's what made me, me.

i keep thinking about all the people that have been in and out of my life, when they see me, what are they going to think/say its really scary in a way. i am a very closed person and worry to much about what people say. has anyone have any ideas on how to handle things with other people, do people realize a big change as in when a bump is removed? mine i believe that who every knew me straight away will see that it has been removed.

i just feel like crap inside, from feeling like crap with a big nose to feeling more like crap after its done... you cant win in life i guess.

I had a size able bump removed as well. The tip will be the last part of your nose for the swelling to go down. My surgeon told me 2-4 months for the top 1/3 of the nose. 3-6 for the middle 1/3 and 6-12 months for the 3rd 1/3 of the nose/ tip. I was kind of worried what people would think as well. Honestly the women I work with that didn't know I was getting it done and I have worked with for 8 months didn't even notice. My parents have been very supportive. None of my other family has seen it but we don't communicate on a regular basis. My sons teacher looked at me today and asked if I had it done yet and I talk to this woman almost everyday. Most people are so concerned with their own flaws that they don't even notice. Just give yourself some time. I didn't prepare myself for a long healing and extended swelling so I can completely relate.
Down the road if you are still not happy or it still appears to be a "c" you can have non surgery all rhinoplasty to fix it or your surgeon should have a revision policy. It helped me a lot to put side by side pictures of my nose. Mine is also upturned but I was informed that's as a result of the swelling
i try to stay busy, watch movies, games etc but no matter what i do, i cant focus on anything. my mind always resorts back to this. its to hard to change my mind set, i had one one the worst noses possible and to have this now it just looks to perfect i cant stand it, i want my imperfections back i want my dorsal hump back with a convex look
you gotta redirect your thinking and stop hyper-focusing on it, at least for a little while. Go to the beach, smell roses, play music or video games or watch your favorite tv show/movie... I have ADD and struggle with legit depression, and anxiety, so, yeah, I feel ya... I know it's hard bro.
also, what faith2012 said.
also, eventually, get a girlfriend who loves you just as you are and can give you affirmation sincerely that you're attractive and that your nose, along with your face as a whole, looks fine and even good. praying for ya
You might find it helpful to discuss the anxiety with a compassionate therapist who can help you deal with your concerns during the healing process. Chronic anxiety and depression is terrible and you shouldn't have to deal with that alone or let it make your life miserable. If you decide to get a revision after a year, there are surgeons who specialize in preserving ethnic looks, e.g. your dorsal hump. Hope you can find some relief and ways to get your mind off your nose in the meantime. Faith2012 is right; try to exercise and stay busy.
All I can say is that you need to be patient. Some people who have hated their rhinoplastys initially, have eventually liked them as the swelling subsides and their nose gets more definition. I understand that it is weird to look in the mirror and see someone else but a lot of people also say that most others don't notice. Keep yourself busy to help the time pass. During my initial healing, I watched 8 seasons of a show on Netfilx and I ususally don't watch tv. Being outdoors seems to help me with the depression. Talk to your doctor and ask him what he suggest. If after one year, you still don't like it, most doctors will do the revision for free. Some of us have lost the trust with our primary surgeons and look for a more experienced facial plastic surgeon or rhinoplasty speicalist for the revision. Keep reading reviews on real self and other places and learn more. Again, your tip will probably drop some more and your nose may lose the C shape as the swelling subsides and you may actually start to like it so patience is a must. I really hope you do start to like it because depression really sucks. As bad as it seems, remember there are others that have had it a lot worse. Be strong. I know it seems like a life sentence now, but time will pass and changes will occur. Best of luck to you.
i just want my dorsal hump back, that's all that's missing is it possible to get it back exactly how it used to be?? please there has to be a way, it feels so crap to live my life. worst feeling in the world i wouldn't wish upon it to anyone
how do i get my mind off it, its killing me inside, feels like im going crazy, never felt depression this deep before i cant take it
Altoids, give your nose time to heal. Don't rush into anything until your nose has healed (1 yr). There are some doctors out there who may be able to help. It's unlikely that the tip of your nose will grow or the dorsal hump. I understand your devastation. One would think that any surgeon would err on the side of a conservative change.

Faith2012, thanks for knowing how I feel. It's been a long road.
hey guys thanks for the support. i kick myself every time i look in the mirror too, i just want to go back and have my nose the way it was, biggest mistake in life that lasts a lifetime, i got to say my motivation is in the bin now, i dont want to do anything besides sleep and just stay home and the thought of when people see me its eating me up inside about what they are going to think and say, i dont know what to do anymore, if my dorsal hump just grows a little bit would be great. can this happen can it grow back? or at the age of 27 it has stopped growing hasn't it? if my tip grows Il be devastated as i will have more of a C shaped nose
Wow Americanwoman, your story is very much like mine. I'm very sorry for you. I know how devasting it can be. I also thought I was getting a small subtle change. I kick myself each time I look in the mirror.
I had rhinoplasty at 20 and I told the doctor to leave the bridge of my nose alone. i liked it. I wanted a very small change in the tip of my nose. Apparently he felt he knew better and shaved off the bridge. It really affected me the rest of my life. Turns out he lied about being board certified and his photos. He is still in business which is stunning to me. There are many surgeons who shouldn't have a license.
Santa Barbara is right...4 weeks is too early for final results. Your nose will go through a lot of transformations over the next year and perhaps once the tip has shrunk, the C will transform into a more desirable shape (or letter).
also none of my friends noticed I got a nose job-- you realize they were never really paying much attention to your face like you do
hey man, don't worry- I had the exact same problem, so really that's part of the swelling that will last about a year. my surgeon said wait til the 1 year mark and it will get better... I'm now at 10 months and its way better than the first couple months... I did have that "C" or concave shape or "ski slope", but it gradually goes away. It's fine for a girl, but as a guy you really don't want that! SWELLING really does last a while, like a year... and remember, the TIP stays swollen the longest (takes a long time to 'shrink' back down).
And besides all this, remember- no one pays that much detailed attention to your nose like you do...they just say "oh yeah it looks nice" and carry on... they care about their self way more than you.
hope that helps!
I'm sorry that you're not loving your new nose. I didn't have a hump but my surgeon carved the C curve in my nose as well...I guess he was trying to give me a barbie type nose...that section of the nose really does change a person's appearance. I like how you explain using letters of the alphabet C & D...haha. I agree that having a little bit of a hump gives character and it helps it look more natural. I hope it gets better over time for you.

Thank you for coming over here and sharing your story. I'm sorry you're missing your dorsal hump so much. If you wanna post a photo we can give you our opinions. :)

It can take time to adjust, too. Your new nose will feel more and more "you" the longer you have it.