Long-term Nerve Inflammation/Damage Resulted from Laser Hair Removal - New York, NY

I had an experience where just prior to my laser...

I had an experience where just prior to my laser hair removal session an Esthitican aggressively rubbed my face for an extended period to remove makeup for the laser hair removal treatment. She proceeded immediately with the laser hair removal treatment and the following day I woke up to a swollen face and pain coming from all over my face. It has now been over 8 months and I still have some pain and have extreme sensitivities to any type of touch on my face, for example, if I apply a moisturizer, my whole face will ache and I will feel pain and slight burning.

I went to a Dermatologist and a Neurologist. The Neurologist diagnosed me with Trigeminal Neuralgia. I went for laser hair removal for years and never had any problem. This was the only occasion where the technician aggressively prepped my skin prior to the treatment and coincidentally this was the time I got very hurt.

What could be the possible correlation between the excessive rubbing of my skin, combined with the laser, to produce long-term pain and periodic swelling??

Thank you for sharing your experience, did you ever follow up with the clinic to ask why the treatment left you with such discomfort and pain? You can also post a question to our Doctors on the site and see what they have to say.
I was diagnosed with Trigeminal Neuralgia (nerve pain), by a Nuerologist, as a result of the laser treatment. I did follow up with the clinic. I diden't know what was happening immediately following because nothing like that had ever happened to me before. At first they were cooperative, however their attitude quickly changed to defensive, and did not want to accept that something indeed went wrong during that laser treatment to cause me injury.
I believe nerve injury is very uncommon after a laser hair removal appointment. I am certain the reason, I was hurt was due to an incompetent technician. The laser setting was too high, and she was too agressive in prepping my sensitive skin just before the treatment. It was almost like she was prepping me for a facial. But it wasen't a facial, it was a laser treatment.

I sustained an injury due to an incompetent employee.