Long-term Nerve Inflammation/Damage Resulted from Laser Hair Removal - New York, NY

I had an experience where just prior to my laser...

I had an experience where just prior to my laser hair removal session an Esthitican aggressively rubbed my face for an extended period to remove makeup for the laser hair removal treatment. She proceeded immediately with the laser hair removal treatment and the following day I woke up to a swollen face and pain coming from all over my face. It has now been over 8 months and I still have some pain and have extreme sensitivities to any type of touch on my face, for example, if I apply a moisturizer, my whole face will ache and I will feel pain and slight burning.

I went to a Dermatologist and a Neurologist. The Neurologist diagnosed me with Trigeminal Neuralgia. I went for laser hair removal for years and never had any problem. This was the only occasion where the technician aggressively prepped my skin prior to the treatment and coincidentally this was the time I got very hurt.

What could be the possible correlation between the excessive rubbing of my skin, combined with the laser, to produce long-term pain and periodic swelling??

I sustained an injury due to an incompetent employee.

Thank you for sharing your experience, did you ever follow up with the clinic to ask why the treatment left you with such discomfort and pain? You can also post a question to our Doctors on the site and see what they have to say.
I was diagnosed with Trigeminal Neuralgia (nerve pain), by a Nuerologist, as a result of the laser treatment. I did follow up with the clinic. I diden't know what was happening immediately following because nothing like that had ever happened to me before. At first they were cooperative, however their attitude quickly changed to defensive, and did not want to accept that something indeed went wrong during that laser treatment to cause me injury.
I believe nerve injury is very uncommon after a laser hair removal appointment. I am certain the reason, I was hurt was due to an incompetent technician. The laser setting was too high, and she was too agressive in prepping my sensitive skin just before the treatment. It was almost like she was prepping me for a facial. But it wasen't a facial, it was a laser treatment.
Just to add ....I had been going for laser hair treatments for years and never once had a problem, until this one incident with this new laser technician.
Can you provide the name of the clinic were you were injured? Did your nerve damage heal?
I can't provide the name due to legal reasons. However, it begins with the letter 'S' and is located on Lexington Avenue in NYC. It took a very long time for the pain I felt to calm down. My skin was soo hyper-sensitive after that experience, that the slightest touch would cause pain all day long, similar to a sunburn feeling. It took a good year before I started to feel a little better. Healing came in ebbs and flows, very slowly. I am much better now a year and a half later. My face was also slightly swollen for a long time. I was also taking a nerve pain medication, that greatly helped. I have more redness on my face now then before this occurred. Definitely an awful experience, I wish I could take back. I believe the technician made my skin raw just before the laser treatment, opened up the pores, making it more receptive to the laser, and the laser was set very high, and I was feeling under the weather that day, so my resistance was lower. All those factors = disaster.