Priceless. Male in My Mid 60s - New York, NY

I should begin by stating that I am a male in my...

I should begin by stating that I am a male in my mid-sixties. Since most of the ages of those having similar procedures are considerably younger, it was difficult to find encouragement from people in my own age category, Therefore, I was very thorough in my investigations of a surgeon with whom I felt confident in doing this procedure.

I was a performer most of my life and had kept my body in excellent condition through proper diet and a rigorous gym schedule of approximately five days a week. I retired at the age of 58, reduced my gym activities to twice weekly and gained about 15 pounds. Although I was determined to get back in shape, I was hit with an improperly diagnosed illness that caused me to endure three operations, five weeks in the hospital, a loss of 50 pounds and almost two years to regain my strength. Even with the weight loss, my love handles hung at my side and my stomach still protruded some over my belt. When I recovered I worked at the gym with a determination to regain my muscle mass......while certain parts of my body did cooperate, no matter what I did, I still haad the excess fat around my love handles and stomach. I now knew the only way to remove it would be through liposuction..

The day of my surgery everything went very smoothly. It felt like I arrived....went to sleep very rapidly....and then it was over. True to his word, the next two days were difficult. Although I had pain killers, I did not like the way they made me feel so I basically just took tylenol every four hours. By day four I could more easily get out of bed. I purposely did not look in the mirror. But when I looked down at myself, I could see that I was quite swollen and bruised. (I should also mention that Dr. Engler called me every day for about a week after the surgery.) For my two-week visit to his office, Dr. Engler stated that he was pleased with what he was seeing and I would have a better idea of what I looked like around the fourth week. Two days before my four week visit I finally decided to look in the mirror. When I looked into the mirror I actually was in shock. What I saw was the same body contour I had as a man in my 30's. Instead of looking in the mirror and complaining about one thing or another, here I was seeing the same shaped body of my youth and I was stunned!!! This is an experience I will never forget.

Dr. Engler takes great pride in his work and I would have to say he has golden hands. If you would ask me to put a price tag on what this experience has done for me, I would have to say: "PRICELESS" !

New York Plastic Surgeon

I chose Dr. Engler from my research on the internet. I began my search on the internet but all my friends advised me against it and only to schedule appts. through recommendations from friends and associates. Following their advice, I made two appts. with surgeons. In both cases my instinct screamed: "NO"! I have learned to follow my instinct. Therefore, I returned to the internet and spent hours in search of the right surgeon. Finally in the end, I had narrowed it down to two surgeons with Dr. Engler being on the top of the list. Shortly after my decision, I called Dr. Engler's office for an appt. From the answering of that phone call to my several office visits, the comments written about the office staffs' warmth and efficiency were certainly true, Within a few days I finally met Dr.Engler. Again, the positive comments about his warmth, humor and engaging personality were apparent. After evaluating my condition, he stated that while there were no guarantees, he felt confident that he could do the job for which I would be pleased. This time my instinct said "YES" and the next day I called to make another appt for further evaluation, followed by a date for surgery. In this appt Dr.Engler said that I would be given a local anesthesia but it would be administered through an anesthesiologist. Of course I realized this would raise the cost another $2,000 but I also felt this was a safety procedure that was important. He also said to me in this meeting that for the first two days after surgery I would not like him very much because of the discomfort I would be experiencing. I of course said: "Oh,I doubt that." To which he responded: " I will remind you of those words." And we both then laughed. The appt for surgery was then made.

Be the first to comment...

Please join RealSelf or sign in.