Don't Waste Your Money - New York, NY

I had the sciton microlaser all over my face with...

I had the sciton microlaser all over my face with additional deeper profractional laser to treat acne scarring on my cheeks and lines around my mouth. The dermatologist indicated at least a 50% improvement for the scarring. The procedure itself was managed with pain medication etc. so was not too uncomfortable however the heat that developed in my face for about 20 minutes at the end of the procedure was very difficult to tolerate and I remember promising myself I would never again do something like this to myself. The next day I could not believe how blown up and swollen my face was. I looked like a burn victim and there was oozing for 2 days. I had done a lot of research about sciton laser online, including watching online diaries of folks that have had sciton laser, and nothing prepared me for how bad my face would look and how messy the recovery would be. It all healed in five days with some redness for the following week. I can honestly say that apart from some improvement in the skin tone there has been no improvement at all in scarring etc. I've had the same result from a TCA peel in the past at much lower cost. My husband agrees that the scars have not improved. It actually looks like there is some new scarring that I'm hoping is temporary. I don't regret doing it as I had hoped it would work but am disappointed with the result.

Hi, i realized this was about a year ago, did you finally see good results?

Hi animal this is great info for the community. Thanks for your input.

What I learned is that there are 4 levels of intensity for laser repair. I can't name them all, but I had the c02 laser repair, initially 12 yrs. ago when the recovery was slow and painful. I felt ashamed that I would put myself through that for vanity's sake. Once the skin healed and the redness and swelling subsided (6 months!) my skin looked much improved. W/ this treatment, the skin somehow produces excess collagen over the years, so that people do compliment you on your youthful skin. c02 laser is the most "aggressive" as they put it. Now the machines are more advanced and the downtime is less. I had it again a few weeks ago and I'm not yet sure about it yet. Skin is still red. I'm a little worried, as he did around my eyes and the skin seems to have thinned out. I'm worried, but we'll
see how it works out. My only other comment is to urge people to use board certified dermatologists only; ones who have done many of these procedures. Too many unqualified people are doing these procedures which require great skill and expertise. I live in NY so I go to the ones that are mentioned again and again in the magazines and make the Castle Connelly guide which lists the best docs in all fields. (My sister-in-law had her eyes done in a small town, w/ disasterous results.) I would urge people to see the best docs affiliated w/ teaching hospitals. Don't try to economize when it comes to your health or appearance.