Skinniest Calves/Shins/Ankles, Underwent Fat Grafting Today! - New York, NY

Hey guys, so quick summary followed by my surgery...

Hey guys, so quick summary followed by my surgery outcome, ive had the skinniest calves/ankles/shins imaginable ever since i was born. I specifically noticed it in 5th grade and through middle school when the entire playground would make fun of me when i wore shorts. I still remember the last day I wore shorts to school, in 8th grade. Since then Ive gone through high school, undergrad, medical school, and half a year of residency without ever wearing shorts. Ive avoided tropical vacation destinations and cruises when all my friends went because I just couldnt wear shorts.

So in undergrad I began researching calf implants, but I knew this would only augment the upper half of the leg. My primary problem was the lower shin/ankle where there isnt any muscle so no implant can be placed. I also knew it would be my late 20's before I had a job and money to afford any procedure. In Med school, through just googling "skinny ankles" on the internet, I came across fat grafting as a new method of doing calf augmentation. Immediately I began to think, if fat can augment the calf then why not the shin/ankle. This blew my mind, and I began doing a lot more research. I came across Dr. LG's website and I sent over some pictures and they said they could do the procedure with permanent results! BTW Ive always had a gut, love handles, and man boobs so the donor fat site was a non issue.

So anyway, I still didnt have the money as I was knee deep in med school loans and all my credit cards were in my dads name. I started my Internal Medicine residency in Chicago in June 2013 and finaly had a source of income, and so I applied for a few cards and got a credit line going. My vacation month was in February so i made the decision that I would fly to NY to Dr. LG's office, get a consultation and a surgery done in one trip.

So yesterday I flew up here, had my consultation. Dr. LG initially was surprised at how tight my calves and ankle/shin area was. I think because I had tried to correct the problem with calf workouts that really tightened the area. So this did limit how much fat was able to be put, because if too much is put in a tight area, you can lose circulation. Anyway, he said he could fix the bowleg problem and would try to put as much fat as possible and he thought I would like the results. And besides I had to start somewhere, i wasnt anticipating being 100% happy with just one surgery. The site stores fat for 2 years and does touch up treatments if needed for 1000-2000 dollars.

So today was my surgery, immediately after I am ABSOLUTELY THRILLED with the results. The entire medial aspect looks significatnly bigger. Im sure some of this is due to swelling, but Dr. Grossman expects most of the fat to survive (he uses stem cells to enhance the viability). So even if I get 75% of the current results after swelling goes down and some fat is reabsorbed, i would be thrilled. The ankles/shins are still skinny because not much could be put down there. But again, I had to start somewhere. The fat placed plus the swelling will loosen up the skin and allow a futher treatment to be more successful. Right now Im immediately post op so Ill keep u guys updated with photos.

Day 2 Post Op

So the recovery is going great. I had to travel back to the midwest via airplane the day after surgery, and it was a little difficult. But not too bad. Today, the stiffness in my legs is improving. The back/flank area where they did lipo is still really sore, a little worse than if i did a real solid back workout. The area is still numb, which is expected. My legs still look great to me. I think the swelling has gone done a bit, but for the most part, the volume is all still there. I had a little concern yesterday because the fat that was grafted was colder than the other part of my leg, but today its warm! So i think that means blood has started to supply the area. We'll see how much is retained but Dr. G told me he expects my current result to be the final result. Im still planning on getting a touch up procedure in 3-6 months to the shin/ankle area. So far so good! Ive attached some new pics from today.

1 week

Hey guys, so its been one week now and every things going good. My calves are still a little stiff and im still not walking completely normally, but there isn't any pain. My ankles are swollen today after walking around a lot yesterday. The fat that was grafted is all still there! I can tell because i put my feet completely together and i can measure the distance of the gap in between my calves, and its been the same. The flanks where i had the lipo is still sore/swollen/numb. This is expected for 1-3 months. Attached is a picture. I go back to work tomm and ill keep you guys updated! Dr. Grossmans staff followed up with my recovery today which i thought was nice.

2 weeks +

hey everyone. so its been a little over 2 weeks and every things going well. this week i started having some pretty bad swelling of my legs, because my job requires me to be on my feet for 14 hrs a day. theres been some pain associated with it. at night time I've been elevating my legs on pillows when i sleep and it feels better in the morning. the last 3 days the swelling has been going down tho. all the fat is still there, nothing has melted away! i also noticed some redness on the inside part of the calf which i think is the new blood supply to the area. k attached are the pre and current photos from today. ill update again soon, probably at the 1 month mark.

1 month strong!

Hey everyone, its been a little more than one month since my sugary and everything is going great. I had some swelling of the legs the past 2 weeks, mainly because my work forces me to stand for 14-16 hrs a day. But the swelling has come down the last week and its almost gone. As for the fat, i would say >90% of it is still there! so I'm very thrilled with that. Its been one month and I think what i have now is close to the final permanent result. Regardless because i started out with such skinny legs, ill be getting the other half of my fat which was harvested injected around June or July. Luckily this will be done with local anesthesia so the cost is much cheaper. After that I'm sure ill have the desired look I've been going for. Ok check out the attached pic!

some more one month pics

3 months!

hey people, sorry, been busy with work. but I'm basically at the 3 month mark which is the point where they say the fat is not permanent and you see the final results. I'm happy to say that only like 10-20% of the fat has dissolved, the vast majority of it is still there, and I'm going to schedule an appointment to get the remaining 200 cc placed! i should have my desired look after that.

edit: i meant "the 3 month mark which is the point where they say the fat is NOW permanent"
Dr. Leonard Grossman

Very great surgeon, thorough, encourages questions. Staff is excellent and caring as well.

Hi Aswin. Have you had your second lot of injections yet?
I sent you a private message. I hope you can answer. Thanks. I wish I had wrote to you sooner.
Hey, I am thinking of doing this surgery too. I am tired of hiding in pants and long dresses. How is the fat transfer. It's June, did you lose any of the fat. Are you still loving the results!
Thanks for updating. So, now you've reached the 3 month mark, it's all yours for keeps!! Fantastic. I was interested in the fact that you said more of the fat will show if it's on top of the muscle. I shall try and remember to ask my PS about that. I'm booked in now, but have to wait a while. Time can't go fast enough now. Can you tell me what they had you wearing after? Was it support socks (like those air flight socks) to help with circulation and to prevent swelling in feet, or did you have a garment that stopped at the ankles? Any compression or no compression? Any Manual Lymphatic Drainage offered after? Did they tell you not to massage yourself? Any other details please add. Thanks Aswin.
No compression for me. I asked my surgeon this and he told me he didn't like I use it because the fat is still fragile until it develops a blood supply so u don't want to put extra pressure and compress it. I had just 4 band aids, two on each leg where the needle was injected. I did have to wear pads at the lipo site on my flank lol. A lot of drainage in the first 24 hrs but that's normal. After the first two days I removed everything
Wow, no compression over your ankles! That's complete opposite of what I've been told. I'll have to discuss again with my doc. Funny how they all have such different opinions. I think mine is concerned with fluid build up at the ankles - it's feet up for a week for me! Did you get swelling in your feet/ankles, as you didn't wear a garment? What is your doc's opinion about swelling - does that not jeopardise the fat instead do you know? How long each day were you told to sit with feet up? Thanks for answering all my questions.
Could you tell me if where your lipo garment came down to? Was it just above the knee or high on thigh? How many days did you keep off your feet for at the start? Thanks.
Hi Aswin. Thanks for updating. How does the area feel to touch. Are there any visible lumps or ridges between the ankle where it was injected and the area that was not? Does it blend well I mean? How long did your PS take to do the surgery? Anyone heard from Mr. Karma?
It feels the same as other fat on my body, there is no way anyone other than you can tell. There are no lumps or ridges. I'm actually not sure how long be procedure was. One second I was talking to the anesthesiologist and seemed like right after I was awakening.
So, did u have a general anaesthetic (tube down throat) or IV sedation? Sounds a weird question but I'm researching oxygen levels and how that effects blood flow to the extremities so could be very important. Thanks.
Please let me know the recovery. I live in Europe and have to Travel back soon again:-)
Hi Aswin. Can we have an update please? My procedure is getting close now and I would like to see how your fat has retained. Thanks.
Hi Aswin. Could you tell me how long it took to do the whole process please? Were you IV sedated or general anaesthetic? Was any fat put into the calf muscle or only to the tissue around it? Thanks and hope you are doing ok as haven't heard anything from you of late.
I was given iv sedation with versed I believe. Some fat was put directly into the calf muscle but most went over the surface where it has the greatest ability to show.
Sorry Aswin. Looks like u answered my question already. What is 'versed'?
I would like to do this surgery also can u give me Dr. LG number so I could get a consultation I feel very depress not able to wear skirts or shorts. Thank you
Hi Aswin. How are things?
Hey there i did fat grafting to my calves good result after 2 weeks now. I payed about 3300 dollars (not in USA ), with every thing. Looks good, i will do second and third to get then Even bigger because i have atletic body. If some people here wants to do it you can jon with me we can get discount.
Hi Mr. Karma. I so pleased you have had a good result. Could you tell me who your PS was please and what country you had it done. Very reasonable price, so I would like to know more about the procedure. Did you have a local anaesthetic? Did they centrifuge the fat and add PRP do you know? How much cc went back in? Was it just calves or did it include ankles? If your PS has a website that would be good for me to view. Thanks for posting. Any pics?!!
About anaestetik i was sleaping, woke up then it was done. Will check up with him on monday what he did with the fat, said he put in 100 cc on each calf (inside) and ankles, the ankles look very good. If this stays i dont need more there. But i will have more in the calf. Its a big difference from how they look now compared with before. Are you from europe Eva ? Will post some pics very soon. And more info.
Hi Karma. I'm in Uk. Where are you? Can you let me have the name of your surgeon please? Can't wait to see your photos and know what cc'c you had put in. Eva.
Hi Mr. Karma. I sent you a PM as you asked, but did not hear back. Could you let me know the name of your surgeon and what country you had it done in please?
Hi Karma can u email me the information about the doctor u did your procedure with. My name is Jenny my email is jenrod212@aol.com. thank u
Hey people i have this same problem with calves, you know the story. Im 33 years and just did calf augmentation with fat, only thing i did it for about 3000 dollars (another country )but they have also very good experience on calf augmentation. The result looks good after almost 2 weeks.And i will do second and third fat grafting after some time because i have athletic body and want more muscular calves.
Hi Aswin. Can we have an update pic please? How's it all going (or should I say staying!)?