Skinniest Calves/Shins/Ankles, Underwent Fat Grafting Today! - New York, NY

Hey guys, so quick summary followed by my surgery...

Hey guys, so quick summary followed by my surgery outcome, ive had the skinniest calves/ankles/shins imaginable ever since i was born. I specifically noticed it in 5th grade and through middle school when the entire playground would make fun of me when i wore shorts. I still remember the last day I wore shorts to school, in 8th grade. Since then Ive gone through high school, undergrad, medical school, and half a year of residency without ever wearing shorts. Ive avoided tropical vacation destinations and cruises when all my friends went because I just couldnt wear shorts.

So in undergrad I began researching calf implants, but I knew this would only augment the upper half of the leg. My primary problem was the lower shin/ankle where there isnt any muscle so no implant can be placed. I also knew it would be my late 20's before I had a job and money to afford any procedure. In Med school, through just googling "skinny ankles" on the internet, I came across fat grafting as a new method of doing calf augmentation. Immediately I began to think, if fat can augment the calf then why not the shin/ankle. This blew my mind, and I began doing a lot more research. I came across Dr. LG's website and I sent over some pictures and they said they could do the procedure with permanent results! BTW Ive always had a gut, love handles, and man boobs so the donor fat site was a non issue.

So anyway, I still didnt have the money as I was knee deep in med school loans and all my credit cards were in my dads name. I started my Internal Medicine residency in Chicago in June 2013 and finaly had a source of income, and so I applied for a few cards and got a credit line going. My vacation month was in February so i made the decision that I would fly to NY to Dr. LG's office, get a consultation and a surgery done in one trip.

So yesterday I flew up here, had my consultation. Dr. LG initially was surprised at how tight my calves and ankle/shin area was. I think because I had tried to correct the problem with calf workouts that really tightened the area. So this did limit how much fat was able to be put, because if too much is put in a tight area, you can lose circulation. Anyway, he said he could fix the bowleg problem and would try to put as much fat as possible and he thought I would like the results. And besides I had to start somewhere, i wasnt anticipating being 100% happy with just one surgery. The site stores fat for 2 years and does touch up treatments if needed for 1000-2000 dollars.

So today was my surgery, immediately after I am ABSOLUTELY THRILLED with the results. The entire medial aspect looks significatnly bigger. Im sure some of this is due to swelling, but Dr. Grossman expects most of the fat to survive (he uses stem cells to enhance the viability). So even if I get 75% of the current results after swelling goes down and some fat is reabsorbed, i would be thrilled. The ankles/shins are still skinny because not much could be put down there. But again, I had to start somewhere. The fat placed plus the swelling will loosen up the skin and allow a futher treatment to be more successful. Right now Im immediately post op so Ill keep u guys updated with photos.

Day 2 Post Op

So the recovery is going great. I had to travel back to the midwest via airplane the day after surgery, and it was a little difficult. But not too bad. Today, the stiffness in my legs is improving. The back/flank area where they did lipo is still really sore, a little worse than if i did a real solid back workout. The area is still numb, which is expected. My legs still look great to me. I think the swelling has gone done a bit, but for the most part, the volume is all still there. I had a little concern yesterday because the fat that was grafted was colder than the other part of my leg, but today its warm! So i think that means blood has started to supply the area. We'll see how much is retained but Dr. G told me he expects my current result to be the final result. Im still planning on getting a touch up procedure in 3-6 months to the shin/ankle area. So far so good! Ive attached some new pics from today.

1 week

Hey guys, so its been one week now and every things going good. My calves are still a little stiff and im still not walking completely normally, but there isn't any pain. My ankles are swollen today after walking around a lot yesterday. The fat that was grafted is all still there! I can tell because i put my feet completely together and i can measure the distance of the gap in between my calves, and its been the same. The flanks where i had the lipo is still sore/swollen/numb. This is expected for 1-3 months. Attached is a picture. I go back to work tomm and ill keep you guys updated! Dr. Grossmans staff followed up with my recovery today which i thought was nice.

2 weeks +

hey everyone. so its been a little over 2 weeks and every things going well. this week i started having some pretty bad swelling of my legs, because my job requires me to be on my feet for 14 hrs a day. theres been some pain associated with it. at night time I've been elevating my legs on pillows when i sleep and it feels better in the morning. the last 3 days the swelling has been going down tho. all the fat is still there, nothing has melted away! i also noticed some redness on the inside part of the calf which i think is the new blood supply to the area. k attached are the pre and current photos from today. ill update again soon, probably at the 1 month mark.

1 month strong!

Hey everyone, its been a little more than one month since my sugary and everything is going great. I had some swelling of the legs the past 2 weeks, mainly because my work forces me to stand for 14-16 hrs a day. But the swelling has come down the last week and its almost gone. As for the fat, i would say >90% of it is still there! so I'm very thrilled with that. Its been one month and I think what i have now is close to the final permanent result. Regardless because i started out with such skinny legs, ill be getting the other half of my fat which was harvested injected around June or July. Luckily this will be done with local anesthesia so the cost is much cheaper. After that I'm sure ill have the desired look I've been going for. Ok check out the attached pic!

some more one month pics

Dr. Leonard Grossman

Very great surgeon, thorough, encourages questions. Staff is excellent and caring as well.

Hi Aswin. How are you doing? Can we have an update pic please? Also, how much did this cost for the first transfer plus freezing if you don't mind saying?
hey, my total cost was 10,500. Kind of on the expensive side but it was well worth it to have the experience that Dr. Grossman has doing the procedure for 15 years. That cost includes freezing of extra fat. To inject the frozen fat it costs 1000-2000 dollars depending on whether local anesthesia can be used.
Thank you. And would you say you have lost any more of your fat now?
nope, i don't think I've lost any honestly. i can tell because whenever i compare i put my feet together and measure the gap in-between my calves. its been pretty much the same size since right after surgery. ill update more pics soon, but it hasn't changed since the 1 month update pics that i posted last week.
That's great! Any discomfort/pain? Could you post some side leg views of inside calf area as well. Thanks for replying.
Does 10500 cover everything or do you to pay for that frozen fat. I also have a pretty low body percentage, where did you choose to remove it from?
Incredible! I know exactly you felt. Anything leg showing is a no go for me. But would there be any negative impact doing calf workouts after this procedure? (ie: losing the fat) Also what has been the reaction from others? How do your calves/shins/ankles feel? Any issues so far?
after the 1-3 month mark, the fat becomes permanent. it has formed a blood supply and reacts the same way as any other fat cells in your body. IE, if you work out, run etc. you will burn fat....BUT keep in mind when we lose fat, we lose the fat thats inside the cell. you never lose the actual amount of fat cells in your body. the only way to do that is lipo. so yes if you work out you may lose the amount of fat inside each cell, but the number of cells stays the same, so if you gained weight, the cells would again swell up. its been about a month and the swelling has gone down, and I'm pretty much 100% back to normal.
How painful was the recovery? I'm debating whether to have implants or fat transfer. I don't handle pain very well so I 'd rather go with the less painful procedure. Good luck to you :)
Hi, how's it going? Could we have an update and photos please?
from what I've read definently the fat transfer is the less painful one. i pretty much had just 1-3 days of mild/moderate pain, after that its just stiffness. the implants I've read have pain for around 2-3 weeks. plus i didn't want something foreign in my body if i could use fat instead.
Looking good! I'm watching that fat closely. Thanks for posting pics and update.
Your results look great! But so expensive, hope it lasts!
Your calves look very nice..enjoy them!
Congrats to you
Wow, fantastic. I'm wanting this done myself. Do you know how much fat was put in each leg? Please keep posting photos so we can see how much fat is retained. Brilliant news, and hope for others. Hope all continues to go well for you.
Thanks! I believe about 180 ccs was placed in each leg. The ankle only got about 40 ccs because the skin was too tight to put any more down there. But the dr said in 3-6 months it'll loosen up and I can have a touch up procedure with the fat that was frozen
That doesn't sound very much fat to have made such a difference. Could you double check as I don't have much spare fat but could definitely find 360ccs in total, which would be great news for me. Are you sure your amount is correct? Sorry to question it - delighted though! Could you tell me the cost for the transfer and the total cost including the frozen fat please? I know it's expensive but the prices do vary such a lot. Thanks for your help.
So I double checked with my doctor and it was actually less than what I told u before a total of 210 ccs was placed, 110 in my left leg and 100 in the right. And they froze another 200 ccs for future.
The reason it looks much bigger is because of the location of the fat placement..on the inside part of my calf. Before it had no fat at all, so a small amount there really changed the look of the entire leg, ridding it of the curve that made it look now legged.
Even better then! Do keep posting as the 3 month mark will be quite crucial to the end result I believe. Any pain or numbness?
Wow! What amazing results. I thought your legs looked cute before the surgery. Now they look more sculpted and toned!!! I'm happy for you.
Welcome to RS and congratulations and its great to see other PS specializing in other areas than bbl, ba, mommy makeovers etc! Very valuable journal thank you cause you are setting a trend!