Regretful - Should Have Been Really Great - New York, NY

I was led to believe I would have pretty normal...

I was led to believe I would have pretty normal looking breasts. They have always looked horrible because of this one area.

Dr. Keegan was my plastic surgeon immediately following my double mastectomy. I loved him However at an office visit shortly after surgery I was slowing pulling up my sports bra because the mastectomy was still fresh and the attending nurse got impatient and pushed up my elbow abruptly. The pain was incredible. That was 10 years ago. My doctors since then believe the muscle was torn and to this day I struggle with implants because that area huts and builds up scar tissue. T Finally after 4 redoes and thousand of dollars I'm having the implants removed and won't ever try again because the doctors keep promising they can fix the area but never do. I hope he fired that nurse by now.

I can never prove the two are related but that same spot that I felt that incredible pain that day is the same spot that bothers me everyday..

Manhattan Plastic Surgeon

Thanks Beverly,
First they were way in the wrong place due to scar tissue. Then we were going to go in and remove the scar tissue and put in smaller implants to deal with it. Then we were going in to see if silicon would be better. I used these Park Avenue Doctors in NY and most charged more than insurance would pay. Anyway my latest doctor tried to talk my into using tissue from someone else as the latest fix but I'm just done with this.

Hello Friend,

Welcome to our community. We are so glad you found us and shared your experience. First, congratultions on beating the cancer!

Secondly, and just as important, I believe there is more to be done to satisfy your dream of having your body restored to a more natural state.

Silly question but I will ask anyway...have you spoken to your doctor about your concerns?

What does he give as the reason for your outcome? How did he suggest having the surgery repeated three times would address your concerns? What kind of insurance did you have when you had your mastectomy? Was it covered? In most cases the Women's Health Act which was passed before you had your surgery requires you to be covered until you are satisfied with your reconstruction.

Please don't give up. Let's explore options.

xo,

Beverly

It sounds like you have really endured a lot in the last few years. Though not the outcome you had hoped for, it sounds like you have made a good decision for yourself given the circumstances. I hope the pain goes away once the implants are removed for you.

Sending you a hug and hoping all goes well with your surgery.