Reconstructive Surgery After a Double Mastectomy - New York, NY

I was diagnosed with breast cancer in the right...

I was diagnosed with breast cancer in the right breast December of 2007. I had a double mastectomy January 2008 at which time tissue expanders were inserted into the tissue. I was horrified at the sight of my chest but glad that the cancerous tissue had been removed. I figured I’d just live with the results. I began the process of inflating the tissue expanders. After several months I suffered sever pain in my back and chest. I was unable to get out of bed. I had pain medicine from the Mastectomy but was unable to get to it.

When I was finally able to get to the doctor, I was told a capsule of scar tissue had formed around the tissue expanders and had contracted. My doctor at the time suggested that he continue filling the expanders and eventually the scar tissue would rupture. The pain from the capsule contracting was worse than the pain of the mastectomy. I decided I needed a second opinion.

I did my research and found Dr. Steven Wallach. He recommended surgically removing the capsule and begin the process of inflating the tissue again. I had the surgery and we began inflating the tissue expanders again. This time everything went well. After the expanders were inflated and the tissue was stretched to the appropriate degree I had the expanders removed and silicon implant inserted.

When I went home after surgery Dr. Wallach said I could remove the dressing the following day. I had been so disappointed from the original surgery I had no interest in looking at my breasts. I kept the dressing on an extra day. When I finally removed the dressing I burst into tears. My breasts looked beautiful, like normal breasts, minus the nipple. Unfortunately it was 11:PM and I had to wait to call Dr. Wallach and thank him for giving my body back.

When I was finally able to thank Dr. Wallach, I said the staff in the operating room must have applauded at the results. He said they applauded all right. They applauded because they were finally able to go home. He said it took him over five hours to get the result he wanted. It’s also the result I wanted.

Thank God I got a second opinion and found Dr. Wallach!

What a beautiful story, thank you so much for sharing this with us. The part where you talked about leaving your dressing on an extra day then finally taking it off made me tear up a little bit - I'm so glad to hear how happy you are with your results. Good for you for seeking out a second opinion!!

Steven Wallach, MD

After finding Dr. Wallach, my life was changed. What I thought I was going to have to settle for and live with was not the case. His talent gave me back my body.