I Could Not Be More Pleased! - New York, NY

Have you ever wanted to do something badly but...

Have you ever wanted to do something badly but made excuses as to why you shouldn't do it? I waited until I was 63 before having a breast lift and almost cancelled the surgery last minute. I thought I was too old; I thought I was going to be "punished" in some way for being vain ("Something Wicked This Way Comes"), etc. My most stupid excuse was that I didn't want to have to tell a new doctor I had a breast lift when asked if I've had any surgeries. I've always been so proud to say my only surgery was a tonsillectomy when I was 4.
In fact, my breasts are nobody's business but mine. But when you are 13 years old, petite and a 34 d, a lot of people think it is their business and you get a lot of unwanted attention, or rather, attention for the wrong reasons. Well, I grew up in the days of Twiggy, Mia Farrow, Audrey Hepburn and Grace Kelly. There was a certain standard to maintain! In fact, if I dared to stop watching my diet carefully, I could put on 10 pounds and go up to a 34dd. That was enough to keep me on a forever diet, aided, as I got older, by cigarettes.
During pregnancy, my weight shot up -- 30 pounds (all in my bust) in the first 3 months and all I did was substitute juice for diet soda and eliminate artificial sweetener and cigarettes. In the end, I gained 43 pounds, 40 of which came off within 10 weeks of delivery, and another 10 pounds came over the next 5 months. I lost more than I gained, without effort, and was so happy to be back to a small 34d, never realizing how much stretching my skin had done. And I was already in my mid to late 30s.
I was busy building a new career and raising a child. I stayed about the same size I always was and didn't worry -- life wasn't just about me. But suddenly age 60 happened. I had remarried, achieved recognition at work and still felt young and active. But my breasts had fallen down! I lost interest in shopping, dressing up, and going out. I wanted perky breasts more than almost anything else in the world but health and happiness for my family. And my physician said diet and exercise would not work.
Enter Dr. Engler. I researched very carefully and selected him based on three criteria: 1) credentials; 2) recommendations; and 3) my intuition about him after our meeting. As a professional woman, I believe credentials are crucial. Dr. Engler went to excellent schools (Yale and my husband's alma mater, Columbia) and is, of course, board certified, with many years of experience and no sanctions. His books on plastic surgery are displayed in his office, and I understand he has patented a few surgical tools. As for positive recommendations on the Internet, that was how I first found Dr. Enger, but to tell you the truth, that factor led me to make my first appointment but was not determinative. In fact, I was especially cautious because the reviews seemed too good to be true. I actually wondered whether he wrote them himself! Third, was the initial consultation. I knew immediately that Dr. Engler would perform the surgery. He was not only extremely knowledgeable and communicative, but I felt comfortable with him, as if I were having surgery done by someone in the family. He gives you the impression that your well-being is his only concern. This is not an assembly-line doctor. It's as if you are the only patient in the world.
So here I am 9 days post-op. Dr. Engler called me and my husband every day the first few days after surgery. I had the surgery on a Thursday, and he made an appointment to see me on Sunday, and then again the following week. My next appointment is next week. He has never failed to return a call or email. Dr. Engler's staff is also supportive, enthusiastic and helpful.
As for the results, I have been thrilled from day one. (I had forgotten that nipples go in the center like a bulls-eye, not down! If I had been like this in the old days, I could have burned my bra, too! LOL!) I should also mention that I never needed any pain medication. I do have some bruising and soreness, which is to be expected after the surgery. My advice is to be patient and take it easy if you are an active person normally and try to get someone to open heavy doors and close the trunk for you.
As to why there are so many wonderful reviews about Dr. Engler, this is what I learned: he asks his patients to write them. But he doesn't tell them what to say.
Good luck with your procedure! Don't wait too long to go after what you want. But so long as you are healthy, it isn't too late!

A sincere thanks for sharing your wonderful story on RealSelf! I am inspired by the fact that you overcame your concern about your age. We all deserve to look good a the new 50! Or is 40 now?!  ;)  Since you had such a great experience and a smooth recovery, will this entice you to do any other cosmetic procedures in the future? Congratulations!

I did this because I knew that even with diet and exercise, I could not combat gravity. So far, thanks to good genes and self care, the rest is in pretty good shape. Never say never though....
And, if I did something else in the future, I would definitely go back to Dr. Engler!

2 1/2 weeks post surgery-walking around topless and my clothes fit great even with no bra!!!!

I had a ball this weekend, trying on all my old beautiful outfits that I just could not part with even though they were snug in the chest. I tried them on with no undergarments at all and amazingly, everything looked great (except for the pencil skirts that are telling me I need to lose a few pounds in the waist and rear end). I am parading around topless whenever I can regardless of the tape under my breasts and around the nipples. I think my husband is enjoying this as much as me, since I always used to hide my breasts.

That's great...I love it!

New York Plastic Surgeon

I have nothing less than rave reviews for Dr. Engler!