Should I or Shouldn't I? - New York, NY

I am 37 years old and have hated my chest since I...

I am 37 years old and have hated my chest since I was 12. Speaking of I look like I have the chest of a 12 year old. Anyway I have been going back and forth between breast implants and breast removal (stories). I am so confused! I get scared thinking about 10 yrs from now or even 5 months if something bad were to happen. Does everyone go though this?

10 years from now you could wind up sick- trust me I'm an RN & I'm sick. Read the Naked truth before you jump written by Susan Kolb, MD who is a plastic surgeon. In addition check Dr Melmed's documentary "Absolutely Safe out of Dallas, Texas who is also a plastic surgeon. Then pour over all the FDA documentation on their website about lack of true safety assurances. Be sure to read & reread. Lastly consider the fact that it is now recommended to replace implants every 7-10 years. Add up how many times you'll need to have these needless surgeries in your lifetime. Will you have the money as the cost of the procedure goes up to keep doing this every 10 years? Then if you really need convincing take a look at a few women who have needed to have their implants removed as it can be ultimately disfiguring. I dread it. This post I am happy to truthfully sign my name to without pretense. It is the truth. Catherine Brady,RN
Thank you for your comment. I appreciate the info and will absolutely read the info you have suggested. I feel awful that you are I'll from them :-(

You mean breast implant removal. And IMHO, you are wise to think about the possible complications. It's so much better to know what could arise than to charge ahead uneducated.

Thank you for starting your story on RealSelf. I look forward to reading more about your journey.

Yes breast implant removal :-) breast removal must have sounded a little off!
Breast augmentation is safe, and the vast majority of patients are ecstatic with the results. Yes, bad things can happen, but they are rare. Do your research and find a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon, with a good reputation, and you should be fine. I don't understand the comment about "breast removal", as this should not be an option unless your family has the gene for breast cancer.
Thank you! By breast removal pics I meant if and when I do not want to replace them the pictures of how breasts look after removal made me a little uneasy.
Dr Sexton! Seriously let's fess up- bad things are not rare. Complications in breast augmentation are very common as you know. For instance, scar tissue contracture, implant rupture, implant leaking, risk of repeat surgeries including anesthetic problems, throw in a certain percentage of infections and the need for repeat surgeries. In addition, there is evidence that has proven that silicone can migrate to other parts of the body and I'm still looking for long term 20 year type studies because I do believe some women are getting sick from their implants. It may be relatively few in comparison to the happy numbers of women with better looking bodies but it's a sad state of affairs when you are one of those "rare " women bad things happen too. There are many complications to brest implants , it reminds me of cigarette sales 50 years ago, it's big business and no one wants to get their hand out of the money jar. C Brady,RN