Worth A Try!! New York, NY

Hello everyone! I have to say first that it's so...

Hello everyone!

I have to say first that it's so refreshing, uplifting and inspiring to hear that I am not alone in this enigma called adult acne. Mine is of the cystic nature. Not one I ever had to deal with as a teenager or even young adult. But low and behold the 30's came and so did ugly, embarrassing, self-esteem affecting cystic acne. With painful nodules that just seemed to pop up. As one was healing here can another one. Acne.org helped me through that, with their reviews on azelaic acid, a god send. I have always had oily skin and I didn't know there are actually other ways to deal with it other that matte moisturizers and oil-blotting sheets. But the last two years of hormonal breakouts (jawline and cheeks) month after month have left me depressed, acne scarred and my self esteem in ruins. There are days I just don't want to leave my house!! But after reading reviews about spironolactone on this site and then researching some more I started a self prescribed trial run of spironolactone 25mg 1x daily and bc. It's been 15 days and I have noticed a decrease in my sebum production. I woke up this morning to a depressing hormonal breakout but I will not be discouraged. I am hopeful this will work and since I've tolerated the 25mg I will now start an additional 25mg for 50mg daily. I will keep everyone posted on my progress.

How are things going now?  Any noticeable changes?  Thanks for sharing your story with us!

Getting Better

So two weeks into my self-prescribed treatment plan I am happy with how things are going. I upped my dosage to 50mg 1x daily and my skin is less oily so I'm seeing less blackheads. I had two small cycle blemishes but they were manageable with a little concealer. Because I started the spironolactone and the birth control simultaneously I expected Armageddon to happen with my face and body but its been great. No spotting, nausea or anything. So my daily regimen includes ROC retinol cleansing cloths, clindamycin topical solution (another trial run while stabilizing my skin) ROC retinol serum and SPF 30. I eliminate the SPF at night. The birth control and spironolactone I take at night.
Hey there, just checking in for an update, how did you make out with your treatment?
Hi! I just updated my review. I will try to find a before pic so I can give you a comparison.
Dr. Morales