44 Years Old and Finally Ready for Rhinoplasty!!! - New York, NY

Found my doctor and surgery is scheduled for Oct...

Found my doctor and surgery is scheduled for Oct 18, 2014!! Excited and nervous at the same time. I will add to my story and post more "nose shots" as the surgery date gets closer. As you can see, I have a wide bridge and bulbous tip. At my consultation, my Surgeon said he would be narrowing the bridge and performing an alar reduction and tip work.
Hi! I'm currently looking for a surgeon myself. I live in New York so if you could tell me your surgeons name, it would be greatly appreciated
exciting! You looked great before, can't wait to see the after!
Awww, thanks beckamoomoo!!!

Two months to go!

Getting excited and anxious about my rhinoplasty. I think Im psyching myself out a bit. Maybe reading about all the things that could go wrong is not too smart. I need to go into this process with a positive mindset.

Recently I've been reading about how long the tip of your nose takes for the swelling to go down, and that has me worried. I am also worried about the alar base reduction scars. Arggghhhh. So much to worry about!!! : (
Congratulations on your surgery. Hope you are doing well.
I'm considering Dr. Kassir for my surgery too. I wish you the best! Can't wait to hear from you and see your new nose!
Thanks LaurenS. I will keep you posted. A little over 3 weeks to go for my pre-op appointment and 7 weeks till the surgery!!!

One month till surgery!

I have exactly one month to go and feeling super excited. I'm posting some before pics now. As you can see, I have a pretty big honker. Wide tip with no definition. When I smile it spreads and looks even bigger. Can't wait for the surgery!!! My pre-op visit with Dr. Kassir is next week. I'll let you know how it goes.
Good luck with everything. My surgery is 4 days before yours. We will be healing together. Did you get all your recovery supplies?
Thanks Sunflowerslove! How exciting. Good luck to you as we'll. Can't wait to hear your story. I have not gotten my supplies yet, besides loads of lip balm :). I have a list of things, but I'm waiting till Friday, when I go for my pre-op consult. Have you gotten your supplies already?
Yes I have everything I need. I'm ready to do this! October 14 is my big day!!:)

Pre-op visit - 3 weeks to go!

Today I went to see Dr. Kassir and had my pre-op consultation. We talked about some questions I had about the procedure and recovery. We went through the list of do's and dont's pre and post surgery and I got my prescriptions for antibiotics (tablets and ointment) and pain medication. I have to go buy the the over the counter items now (Arnica pellets/Vitamin C/Zinc/Bromelain).

I
I got the orders for my surgical clearance so that I can get all the blood tests/scans done. I went ahead and made an appointment with my primary care physician for next Friday : ) I signed a bunch of forms and made my final payment. Its all becoming very real!!!
Hey! My surgery is booked October 13th so I figured we could be buddies! You are gorgeous and I hope you love your result. Keep me posted!
Hey Buddy : ) OMG, I'll be watching your progress. One more week for you. Are you ready?
Ah! I know! I do feel ready. I went back and forth being really nervous during the decision process but now that I decided to do it and it's so close I feel like I'm just ready to get it over with! How are you feeling??

T-minus 7 days

So my countdown has officially begun. 7 days and counting. All prescreeening lab work and scans done! I have my meds/supplements. I went food shopping today and stocked up on low sodium stuff. I tend to like alot of salt, but I'm preparing the week before to limit the sodium intake and obviously countinue through the first couple of weeks post op. I bought pineapple as its recommended along with my bromelain supplements. I bought lots of ingredients to make soup for my first week post op. I started taking the arnica today. OMG.....is this really going to happen......uh, heck yeah!!!! Soooo excited!
Wow almost time! Good luck ;)
You are definitely ready! Yay!!

OMG, my surgery is tomorrow :O

So, Im a little stressed out. I haven't felt great all day. Must be anxiety about the surgery. I am about 15 hours from going under the knife. My mind is racing and Im feeling overwhelmed.
How did your surgery go?
We're all here pulling for you! You will be fine beautiful!
I am so excited for you. I know you're stressed, but try and focus on the results you want. I know the feeling of not being happy with your nose, and looking at pictures and noticing all my imperfections. Focus on how much better you envision yourself to look after you're all healed. You'll be asleep for the surgery and have pain medicine after to help you through the first few days. Everything is going to be ok, just breathe, say a prayer and leave it to your higher power. I find listening to music helps calm my nerves. Try it.

Day of Surgery

Hi all,
Here is a pic of Day 1. Super bruised, but feeling good. No pain so far, yay!!!
I'm glad you are home. Get lots of rest :)
Surgery was pretty quick. Procedure started around 9:30am, by 11:45 I was waking up and by 12:45pm I was on my way home. When I woke up from surgery, I already had these shiners! 9hours later, the bruising is worse and swelling around the eyes is pretty bad, but that's it so far. I have no pain, my throat isn't bothering me and I am not bleeding very much : ) I am eating and drinking normally. I had a big mug of coffee cause I missed my morning cup of joe. I am not feeling loopy or dizzy or overly tired, I actually havent slept at all yet. Hoping I get some shut-eye tonight....Although, if my eyes keep swelling, they are gonna shut on their own, LoL!!!
Glad you're home and doing well. Thanks for keeping us posted on your journey...much appreciated:)

Day 2 update

Sleeping was rough. got up every 1.5-2 hours for a sip of water. Dry mouth arggghhh. More bruising and swelling has gone up as the day has gone by. I feel like my eyes are gonna swell shut. I could actually feel the swelling going up because the cast felt suddenly tighter. I applied some arnica cream and iced for a bit, but so far no relief. I have body aches which I see are a side affect of anesthesia. Only taking tylenol so far. I hear the body aches last a day or two. No pain in the nose area : ) My husband brought me flowers today, so I feel special even though I look like a raccoon that got hit by a truck, LoL!!
Lol! Too funny! I'm sure you will look fab by the end of the week. Hang in there!!
You are lucky you have such a loving husband. I hope you get more sleep tonight. Day 4 was the worst day because my body was so drained. I feel 100% better. My bf helped out so much today. My kids were really helpful too :)
You looked great before and I'm sure you'll look great after! Good luck and happy healing :-)

Day 3

Last night sucked. Mouth dry, constantly waking up to drink sips of water. I took some pain meds last night because my body aches were getting worse. Swelling was way up and is migrating down my cheeks, so I have the chipmunk thing going on. I went to the Dr. today to remove my packing which was great. I can breathe!!!!! Yes!!! The Dr. was surprised at how much I bruised. He prescribed Prednisone to help with the swelling. It should only get better from here : )
Congrats! Try eating fresh pineapples for the swelling and vit c 1000mg :)
Thanks Bella, I have been eating pineapple and taking Vitamin C and Bromelain. : )
yw hope it all works.

Day 4

Feeling good. I slept through the night last night which made all the difference : )
I am only taking one more day off and then I'll work from home on Thurs/Fri. No sense in using up all my vacation if I feel up to working. Swelling around the eyes has gone down, but I still have cheek swelling. The bruising is still there but lightening up every day. My alar base stictches are a bit itchy, but keeping them moist with ointment helps.
I've tried not to be overly critical of my nose, but it does seem a bit up turned. Especially with the way its taped up. I don't want a Miss Piggy nose :O
I'll must be patient and just wait till the "big reveal" and stop psyching myself out. Patience/Patience/Patience....
Looking good love! Bruising will get better everyday! And don't worry at all about the way your nose is taped bc as soon as the tape comes off its totally different! You're through the worst of it now!
That's good to know about the tape. Bruising is so ugly : ( Since I bruised so badly, I know its gonna take about two weeks to completely resolve. Most of you gals only had the bruising under the eyes, I have it on the eyelid and all around. The bruising is perfectly even, so it looks like a mask. Too bad Halloween is next week or else I would have the perfect costume.
That's great you are sleeping well. I'm doing so much better. Yes we need to be patient with our results. Take good care :)

Day 5 - Call me "Bruiser"

Feeling good today. Washed my hair, without getting my cast wet. I feel squeaky clean. Still bummed about my bruising and how long its taking to resolve. Again, I must keep chanting the words, Patience, Patience, Patience. I realize that I bruised more than most, so it will take a bit longer. Wondering if I'll be able to go to work on Monday?? If I can't cover up these "purple nurples", I am staying home! I'm lucky that I have the choice of working from home and my boss totally understands.
I had a little scare last night. I accidently scraped the side of my nose (right at the alar incision site) and it started bleeding. I thought I may have opened up the incision or something. I cleaned it up and it doesn't appear that I did any damage, but I was really worried last night. I think I may have pulled or tugged on a stitch, but everything looks fine.
As far as meds go, I finished my antibiotics today and I don't need pain pills. I'm just taking the Predisone now and of course the Arnica/Bromelain and Vitamin C.
I apply Arnica cream to my face twice a day and have been slathering on the antibiotic ointment about 3 times a day (nose is pretty itchy).
Things are pretty much back to normal. I made breakfast and lunch today. I take Master's courses on line, so I had a 3 hour class last night. Feeling really good and not overly tired at all.
Thank you sooo much for posting your experience! I am having rhinoplasty done with Dr. Kassir on November 8th. I am soooo nervous, yet excited! I had the consultation on Wednesday and booked the surgery the same day! :) I took the FIRST available date!!! I am looking forward to seeing your results! You already look beautiful in your before pics...I am sure you will look even more fabulous!
OMG I'm booked in for surgery on 29th Oct, i'm worried that maybe my surgeon may be no good, i cant find any bad reviews for him, but cant find any good ones either, remove the dorsal hump is a given but what do I agree to re the tip, I want the nose to look natural, my tip looks like it droops just a little so I want that sorting but I worry i will have a snooty upturned nose rather than just a hint. Im going abroad so will only have the proper consultation on the day of the surgery
That's really strange that you can't find any reviews on your surgeon? Does he have a website? No reviews on there either? The tip is an important conversation. You want to make sure you are both on the same page. I think most surgeons are probably more conservative and would not go too far from your natural nose. My Dr. and I agreed that we could refine my tip without losing my ethnicity (I'm latina). I will actually get my first look at my nose tomorrow : ). I think we've all worried about the tip being too upturned. This is a common concern. If you are not going to be around, do correspond with your surgeon via email/phone. I'm sure he can address your concerns, especially if you are not going to be able to see him until the day of surgery.

Concealer???

OK, I am going to need a great concealer. What's the best concealer for bruising? Do I need to go hard core like dermablend??
You should try Amazing Cosmetics amazing concealer! It's awesome...Apparently all the stars use it. People can cover tattoos with it. I use it for covering acne scars. There is also Make Up Forever..the full cover. It's really good too. Kinda spendy but it will last forever. You can get both at Sephora. Happy healing!
Thanks everyone for all the great suggestions!
I like hard candy by sephora,macy's&walmart. $6 bux and works well. It's INEXPENSIVE&effective. :)

Day 6

I feel like there is not much difference in my pics from the last 3 days. This bruising is here to stay!!! Tomorrow is cast removal day (unless the Dr. decides to leave it on a few more days), and I expecteed to look fabulous for my big reveal. Everything else is normal.
Ooooh la la! You look great! The new nose is looking so, so good already! Wow!! Beautiful, even with the shiners:)
Yay! Tomorrows your turn! :)
Ah! Can't wait to see your results!! Good luck tomorrow and don't forget that you will be swollen when it comes off! Sorry your bruising is so bad! My doctors office gave me free laser bruising treatments, not sure if your doctor might offer something like that? Glad you can work from home, that's what I've been doing all week waiting for my bruises to go away and to get tape off! It's been a lifesaver!

Day 7

Cast off. Feels great to get that thing off my face. It didn't hurt much, just a bit of tenderness when he got to the bridge area. Removing the stiches wasn't too bad. I shed a little tear, but really not bad. Sooooooo, I look at my nose and I immediately love the bridge. I didn't have much of a bridge before; more like a big flat wide dam, LoL!!! I like that it is now a rounded prominent bridge.
Even though its swollen, I know its gonna look beautiful! On to the tip. I think I like the tip too. Not a drastic change, so I still look like myself, but it is smaller and the refinement although not too noticeable now because of the swelling, I'm sure will be obvious with time. The tip swelling is uneven, so its looks a little strange, but I'll be patient. My least favorite aspect are the nostrils. They are not symmetrical (although they were never symmetrical). There is uneven swelling, so hopefully when that gets better, so will the appearance of my nostrils.
Oh, yeah, no taping for me. I expected that I would be taping, but Dr. K, didn't think I needed it. I thought that was strange, so I actually googled it and I do see mixed recommendations from surgeons. Some swear by it and some do not think it does much past cast removal.
The nose sure does feel strange. The weird numbness feels so foreign. Its like your nose is not part of your face. Hard to explain.
P.S. No lasering of my bruises until next week if they don't resolve. Dr. K does not like to laser too soon post op.
I've learned alot from this community, so I will be patient and not be overly critical of my nose. So far so good. I wish I had done this 20 years ago, but its never too late to make an improvement : )
It looks nice already ! In a few few months once the swelling is down, you are going to look fantastic!! Congratulations! :-)
So HAPPY for you! Happy continued healing.
wow what a dramatic yet natural looking result you have already! So happy for you, Congrats!!!

Day 9

Well Realselfers, back to work tomorrow, which I'm really happy about. It will be nice to get back to my routine. I had an interesting trip to the local Ulta store. First of all, everyone assumes I got in a fight when I come walking through the door which is hysterical. I immediately tell the make up artists that I had my nose done so its out in the open. The store was having a big promotion for Stila cosmetics so there were alot of make-up artists there. I immediately go to the Dermablend and tell the first girl that I have to go to work on Monday and I need something to cover up these bruises. She applies the Dermablend but it doesn't go over to well. Too cakey and when they blend it in, you can still see the bruises coming through (looks like a gray tinge). The girl tries a different shade but no luck. She actually said, let me get a second opinion, and I almost burst out laughing. My extreme bruising requires a second, more experienced make-up artist. This girl tells me she had her nose done about 5 years ago and we immediately have a connection and yap about rhinoplasty. So she tries some color correcting stuff and beauty balm and concealers (All Stila products), and it looks much better, but the bruising still comes through. This is the best its gonna get I suppose. I'm determined to go to work tomorrow, no matter what. I will sit in my office the whole day with my face buried in my computer. I just need to get out of this house.

P.S. Its true what they say about your nose looking slightly different from day to day. My nostrils didn't look so bad today : ) Some pics with make-up trying to hide my bruises.
Your results look really good, so happy for you. I'm right behind you for my new look...
Good for you promogirl!! The procedure was not bad at all! Do it!!!

Day 12

Still quite bruised which is bumming me out. I am such an outgoing person, so hiding my face is not normal for me.
Lets talk about the crusting. Argghhh. I've got these two big crusties in both my nostrils. I started pulling on one thinking it was dried up blood/mucus, but it seemed to be attached to the nose?? Oh, well, Im leaving it alone, because I don't want to have a nose bleed. I read that this is common and you should just keep the nose moist, which I have been. I go back to see Dr. K on Friday, so hopefully he can get those suckers, out of there!
Not much change in the shape of the nose the last few days. Still swollen, but not horribly so. I was reading today, that many patients have a sense of dissapointment after cast removal, but things do get better. They said that after one month alot of the swelling will go down and after 3 months the nose will photograph well. I guess, until then, I need to stop over analyzing. Like most surgeries, where you see immediate results, rhinoplasty patients have to be patient and wait. Alot of you that have had humps removed, get to see an immediate change to your profile which is awesome. I guess I'm just bummed today. Especially since my husband told me that he couldn't see any difference : (
Oh girl I can totally relate! It's a lot of emotional ups and downs in the process. Being patient is much easier said than done and I'm sure you are frustrated with your bruising. I can definitely already see a difference in yours!!! And it really will only get better and better. I'm excited for us to be doing our 6 month updates!! Keep your chin up beautiful!
Thanks Ladies!!! I knew I could count on you to make me feel better : ) Lord knows i've done my homework and understand the healing process, but when its you, you can't help but be anxious about seeing the final product. Patience, Patience, Patience. P.S. My smile is great!! I didn't have that funny lip thing for very long at all. I guess that's one positive : )
Got to love the swelling and healing process...the long healing process. How's your smile? My smiling is coming back slowly but I still look strange when I smile. It's going to get better :)
New York Facial Plastic Surgeon

Consultation went smoothly and I'm feeling very comfortable with the surgeon.