2nd Asian (Revision) Rhinoplasty but This Time with an ENT Surgeon -New York, NY

About 20 years ago I did my first Rhinoplasty with...

About 20 years ago I did my first Rhinoplasty with Dr. Bellin. I chose him because he did my friend, a black girl's nose, and she loved it. And because Asians and Blacks mostly have flat noses, I figured I'll go with him. Before the surgery, I told him what I wanted and he just gave me what I wanted. And it was just okay. But that's the problem. We patients have an idea but in actuality we don't have the skill as the surgeons do and we don't know the outcome as they do.

Still wanting more, I saw an ad about 2 years after the surgery for "Asian Rhinoplasty" and met with Dr. Jeffery Ahn in NY. He taught me that he may do an open nose surgery and take cartilage from my ear. But most importantly, what I remember most about him was that he said; "I'm not only a Rhinoplasty surgeon but also an ENT "Ear Nose Throat" doctor. Decades later, I decided to do the Rhinoplasty the second time and after much prayer, decided to contact Dr. Ahn. He's gotten older of course with time so I didn't recognize him. I had to contact the board to see if this was the very same Dr. Ahn who consulted me over a decade ago because I had my mind set already. And yes it was. I booked right away and had my surgery done 12-13-13.

What made me feel very comfortable was 30 minutes before the surgery. He was very attentive to my needs. I showed him photos of surgeries I liked mostly those of other Asian noses. He gave me his honest opinion. Some photos he'd say; "that's too fake!" (gee I couldn't tell!) and "oh so you want a ski jump nose?" (I didn't know that!) and the definition of "rotation" and "projection" (great advice!) and "if I trim more of your nostrils, you won't breathe well, you want a nose that looks good but also functions" (yes I do, but okay you're the professional) and "you can't get everything you want" (okay hoping for a good outcome) and "I will give you a little more bridge" (sounds good to me), etc. And when he taught me all this, the more I felt comfortable. You see, we patients know nothing about Rhinoplasty and I've learned a lot from Dr. Ahn. He talks with discipline but he knows what's better for me. After the surgery he said it was better than what he expected for a revision Rhinoplasty as I could no longer contact Dr. Bellin for my past surgical records from my first surgery.

I hung my rosary, said a prayer and in no time was done. Even though I live less than 100 miles away, I didn't want anyone to know. I told my kids I was having sinus surgery lol since I would be coming home the following day with bandages on my nose and ear. Dr. Ahn has two locations one in Fort Lee, NJ and the other by Grand Central in NYC. I got the surgery done in NYC because that was the next availability. So I parked my car in NJ, the staff scheduled round trip car service and I slept over inside their facility in NJ inside a very nice private penthouse looking apartment with one bedroom. It had slippers too for me to borrow! The staff checked on me from time to time and before they left gave me their cellphone number. I actually left that night around 10:30pm as there was suppose to be a major snow storm even though the staff urged me to stay as the meds has not completely left my system. But I felt fine. So kudos to his staff that stayed with me during the late night hours.

In 3 days I got the bandages removed and 3 days after that, the stitches removed. And just recently, saw the Dr. again for a follow up visit. I have another follow up visit in 2 months. This is what I like- a doctor who cares. Gee, in my first Rhinoplasty, Dr. Bellin only gave me 1 follow up visit and that was to remove the stitches. It's like "okay you're done, bye" whereas with Dr. Ahn, "I need to monitor your healing".

In summary, Dr. Ahn has gone above and beyond my expectations and I highly recommend him. This is the best nose job I ever gotten. I look back now at the photos I showed him before the surgery and I look a million times better than them!!! I still look like myself and no one can even tell! That's what makes it look natural. I'm loving it! Also Dr. Ahn said since my face had a bit asymmetry to it, he made it to compliment my face. Whatever he did, he has the perfect sculpturing eyes because it looks so good!!

Dr. Bellin's rhinoplasty compared to Dr. Ahn

More of Dr. Ahn's work!

More of Dr. Ahn's work!

More of Dr. Bellin's rhinoplasty compared to Dr. Ahn's

3 Comparisons: Virgin Nose - First Rhinoplasty - Revision Rhinoplasty

For a RealSelf member who requested to see all 3.

What makes an Asian nose job look natural- according to my doctor

Hey beautiful people, This is the photo "Miss Korea" I showed Dr. Ahn before my surgery and he protested telling me Miss Korea's nose doesn't look natural. To me, I thought Miss Korea's nose was very beautiful and I've always wondered what he meant, until I began to see more before and afters.

Dr. Ahn doesn't like the middle of the nose to have obvious side lines. He likes the sides to be smooth and fluid, blending with the overall face. Take a look at the arrow to see what I mean. Hope this helps you out in your quest!

Oh yeah! It's been over 8 months since my surgery and STILL NO ONE has asked me about my nose! My best friend (yes I've kept this hidden from my own BFF!) told me, "something looks nice about you". And she still can't figure it out! Not even my own family whom I see every single day can't tell! So to me that says a lot of about Dr. Ahn's artistic work :-)
Fort Lee Facial Plastic Surgeon

What made me choose Dr. Ahn to do my 2nd (Revision) Rhinoplasty was because he said; "I'm not only a Rhinoplasty surgeon but also an ENT "Ear Nose Throat" doctor", this was enough to make me comfortable. But Dr. Ahn went above and beyond my expectations. Dr. Bellin performed my 1st Rhinoplasty and it's not that he is a bad surgeon (because my girlfriend, a black girl, loves the nose he created for her), Dr. Bellin just did not take the time to educate me. He was more like; "okay I'll give you whatever you want" (and that's the problem, we patients have an idea, but we don't have the skill and we can't foretell the outcome as the surgeons can); whereas Dr. Ahn educated me thoroughly on terms like "projection", "rotation", "ski jump", etc, but most importantly he said; "you want a nose to not only compliment your face but also functions well". When you meet with Dr. Ahn expect a disciplinary education but he means well. And most importantly tell him what you want and ask him what he thinks. And the result is, you will be much more happy than the initial expectations. I showed him photos of noses I like and not to brag but my nose turned out a million times better than those photos :-) Dr. Ahn gave me a beautiful profile and a cute tip- like a model! This is the best nose job I've ever gotten.

Hi, your results are amazing! very natural looking. I was wondering how you found Dr. Ahn... i've been trying to see more before and after pictures he has done and I can't find them online.
Thank you :-) I found him over 20 years ago in a NY Yellow Page ad. It said he does Asian noses. So I decided to get a consultation and he told me he was also an ENT doctor. This is what sold me. I kept him in mind ever since. I have checked out other doctors here but I just felt Dr. Ahn would be best for me. Over 20 years later, I did searched him online, but there weren't much info, in fact not good reviews. So I decided to meet with him and he was not very warm- a much different Dr. Ahn. But I still held on to what he told me decades prior; "not only am I a cosmetic doctor but also an ENT". And so I booked the surgery date. I would like to add that from my experience, Dr. Ahn is not the kind of plastic surgeon who will just give us what we want because to us it looks pretty. He will give us what will look BEAUTIFUL and COMPLIMENTARY on us. He has many photos in his computer. He also teaches to younger surgeons and this is more of his character- like a person who knows it all. But rest assure, this same character matches to his pre surgery style and he will educate you like NO other surgeon has ever done to you! Trust me on that. And good luck!
Hi ChristianLady, I am looking to get a revision rhinoplasty to give myself a higher (and better?) profile. How did he build up the bridge or your nose? silicone or rib graft? I had a tiplasty using my ear as well but I want more projection...like yours!
Thanks watergun! Nope my ribs are intact. The nurse told me he used an implant but I don't remember the name of it. She said he prefers it over the other implants. You can call the office to find out what he prefers to use. I'm very very happy with my nose. And yes I have more projection. So far no complications :-) What I like about my bridge is that he made it to match the asymmetry of my face. I never noticed, until he pointed it out, that one eyebrow is higher. So he told me he did something aesthetic. I like when a doctor pays attention to detail. Anyways I want to see your before and after soon with whomever doc you choose! Good luck!!
i really do appreciate your post, christianlady, but i have not seen any of his works other than yours. His website has no before and after photos... And to hear that you've had a bad experience with rhinoplasty before, yet for your second revision rhinoplasty with Dr. Ahn you fail to know what was put into your body, somehow it sounds alarming to me and makes me very skeptical that this post is even real or not esp when you are the only person who has posted anything about this doctor. your results are impeccable I do admit. I just really hope its Dr. Ahn's work.
Hi again, I know what was put in my nose but I just learned about ribplasty- is that what you meant? This is Dr. Ahn's work. You can private message me and I will tell you my real name and you can verify it with his office. Good luck whatever you decide. I am not trying to push you to go with Dr. Ahn. I simply wrote this post because of my experience. And I am very happy with it. I understand he doesn't have much photos online but like I said I chose him because of my 2 decade old consultation and I have been sold ever since.
Hello again, I'm online on Skype now! I didn't know you private message me 5 hours before sending this hurtful comment. I'm so sorry for not responding so soon, but yesterday was a very busy day. Continued feast on the 13th for Our Lady of Fatima! Did you know prayer will help with your anxiety? :-) Talk soon!
i added u on skype. I didn't mean to be hurtful... i just am really skeptical esp when the doc has ALL bad reviews and u are the ONLY one w/ good reviews on him and with good results.. although i have not seen any of his works other than on you. Although many people on this thread along with myself are very grateful for your reviews...
Thank for writing this review. It looks awesome! I'm going to see him for my nose! I was wondering if he use all cartilage for the nose? I was told by several docs it's better to use all real cartilage.
Hi I'm sorry i just saw this! Yes Dr. Ahn took the cartilage from my ear. Yes you'll LOVE his work!
Hi! I also want to add, (because this was also my concern), that my ear looks the same! I asked my friend to take a photo of both ears and I couldn't tell! I deleted the photo but I'll take another one soon. One great advice I'd like to add is that Dr. Ahn really pays attention to fine details which I myself didn't notice until he pointed it out. And the scars he left are so very, very inconspicuous as if I've never gotten the surgery at all!
Thank you for your detail comments. I made my appointment for a consultation 2/26/2014. I'm super excited and nervous. I hope mine come out just as great as yours. I was wondering if you could email me a clear picture of your nose. The picture above looks great don't get me wrong. I just want to see it in a clear lighting so I can have a better idea, if you don't mind. (Pictures will not be share with the public) pltn5022@gmail.com thank you!
No problem. I'm more than happy to show you. I have FaceTime or Skype which are better than photos. And you can tell me how to move my head how which way you want and ask me whatever questions too. I'll message you!
That will be greatly appreciated!!! My skype is ******* looking forward to talk to u!!!!
Hi there, please use RealSelf's PM system to communicate personal info like your skype name. :)
hey... would u let us know how it goes with you and dr. ahn? im really curious if he is consistent.
Hi, my surgery was 12/13/13. And I saw him 3x post surgery. Unlike my other surgeon who only saw me 1x. Dr. Ahn is very consistent - in my opinion. You should book a consultation with him. Feel him out and your heart will tell you if he's the surgeon for you. And also pray about it. God will put the peace in your heart and mind if He chooses Dr. Ahn for you :-) good luck!
Beautiful! It was worth it.
Thank you! Totally worth it.
You look great.
Thank you.
Thank you for the detailed review, it helps a lot to make a decision whom to go to. What is Dr. Ahn's phone number?
@merrig no problem. I just wanted to share my story because I had rhinoplasty before and I don't want others to (if possible) get a second one/revision which if the 1st is done right, there's no need to spend $$$$-$$$$$, healing recovery, time, energy for a 2nd. Dr. Ahn's number is 201-461-9400 or 212-714-9494 He charges $100 for his consultation and applies that fee to the service if you get it done. Good luck! You'll LOVE the new you!!
How much did it cost you for the whole thing?
Ignore my last question, I see you posted you paid $5k. That is a good price for a good result like yours.