Miracle Worker - New York

I recently got into a trauma accident in Central...

I recently got into a trauma accident in Central Park.  I was riding my bicycle and was forced to stop short, catapulting off my bike seat and face-first into the back of a bus.  My face (and especially my nose, forehead, lips and teeth) took the brunt of the impact, leading to multiple facial broken bones, fractures and lacerations (a word not even in my daily parlance prior to my injury).

Despite these injuries, I feel like the luckiest person in the world for two major reasons.  First, I was wearing a helmet, which cracked as a result of the accident and prevented any damage to my brain.  And second, I was referred to Dr. Schwarcz.

After researching him with my family members who are in the medical field, it was clear to me that he was the best person to lead the restoration effort on my face. He was trained under the tutelage of some the world’s best-known plastic surgeons in Beverly Hills and he has operated in similar type of trauma situations on some recognizable faces (not that I am the Hollywood type, but I knew I could only trust the best).

I'm truly sorry you had to go through such a traumatic accident. But I'm glad you were able to find such a skilled, caring doctor and that your face has nearly been restored. Thank you for sharing your experience here on RealSelf.

New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Words cannot describe how grateful I am to have been underneath Dr. Schwarcz’s surgical hands. Dr. Schwarcz did a fantastic job in what was an intense, highly pressured trauma situation. While many doctors said that the risks of long-term facial deformity were high, I could barely now even notice that I had an accident. In addition to his amazing, raw surgical talents, he is a well-rounded, personable, and caring doctor. He had an uncanny ability to diagnose and communicate complicated issues in a factual but yet user-friendly manner. He had a perfectionist like attention to detail that manifested itself in his work. He had a commitment to providing me a holistic approach to medical care rarely found in surgeons. He made sure that I was never in a higher level of discomfort that was necessary; followed up with me to make sure I was attending to my wounds appropriately; coordinated with other specialists and nurses to make sure I was receiving the proper level of care; and made himself available to me 24 / 7. The helmet saved my brain while Dr. Schwarcz saved my face. Needless to say, I give him my highest recommendation.