Gynecomastia Success - New York

As I got older, I began to develop 'man...

As I got older, I began to develop 'man boobs' - and no matter how much I worked out my chest, it did not help. I was tired of 'hiding' my chest with the kinds of shirts I wore - mostly 'non clingy'. I also was uncomfortable with my 'breasts' bouncing when I ran, or when driving went over bumps.

Finally at the age of 49 'enough was enough' and I did my research and found Dr. Elliot Jacobs in NYC. His staff is fantastic, and Dr. Jacobs is patient, kind, experienced, and skillful. I was prepared for the entire pre and post care. I know that 2 lbs of tissue were removed (fat and breast tissue). Yes, the healing process is challenging - but I knew it and was prepared.

It took about 6 to 8 weeks to heal to a point where any more changes were no longer noticeable to me. It was the best decision of my life - and still over 3 years later, I am thrilled with the change. I now wear slim fitting shirts with ease, and no longer 'bounce' :-). Thank you Dr. Jacobs!

I was very sore for the first two days and I was very uncomfortable. Not so much in 'pain', per se, just had a very hard time moving, getting up and down. Also, my first reaction to how my chest looked was shock and dismay. I thought 'what did I do?". My chest looked like a flat tire. Loose skin, discolored, bruising - and the incision sites were a bit scary looking. It took about 2 weeks for the bruising to go away, and for the soreness to completely go away. (It does get better and better each day after the 2nd/3rd day). My chest would get lumps, sort of hard lumps, and some softer ones, but they would shift - what was lumpy one day on the left side, moved to the right side - my chest had a mind of its own and the healing is 'odd' and takes time. I followed the doctor's orders in terms of massaging my chest. I am pretty sure I wore my compression vest for about 5 weeks. You need to wear it to help with the healing. After about 6 weeks I think (I can't recall exactly) I started to be able to work out my chest - I started out slowly, not to overdo it. The lumps finally all disappeared, and the 'weird sensations' subsided and went away - and my no longer 'stuck' to the muscle (hard to explain this - but those who have this will understand)...it all goes back to normal and it finally feels a whole/healed part of me after about 8 weeks (2 months or so). My advice is to let others know that you may feel like you made a mistake and may go thru an emotional roller coaster, and feel as if your chest will never 'be the same' - but it will - just do what the doctor tells you to do, be patient, and you'll come out the other end feeling it was all very much worth it.

Hi Scott:)

Welcome to RealSelf and thank you for posting your review.

I am so happy that you were able to obtain the results you needed and wanted.  And wow 2 pounds of breast tissue is a good amount.  What was the hardest part of recovery for you?  And what tips could you share with other men considering this procedure.

Thank you for joining us and sharing your journey.

New York Plastic Surgeon

Every aspect of the entire experience was outstanding.