I Wish I'd Known Everything That Could Happen..... - Manhattan, NY

Before having a facelift, I researched for 2 years...

Before having a facelift, I researched for 2 years and decided that most people had a good experience and pretty decent results after a few months of issues. I had a facelift primarily to get rid of an extreme sagging neck. I was not opposed to losing a few wrinkles, either. I am prematurely aged due to smoking and sun damage (I do neither anymore!)

My neck is somewhat better but uneven, with one gland being very prominate on only one side, under the jawline. It's pretty obvious,it looks swollen and strange. Assymetrical is an understatement; it's kind of alien, a one side froggy kind of thing.

The wrinkles that had initallly disappeared are back, now that the lift has settled...(7 months post) but they are wierder looking. The wrinkles look "windswept" and these are also pretty obvious and strange.

I have had horrid nerve pain since the procedure, due to the liposuction that was done on the neck. No-one told me there might be this kind of pain or that any post op pain could/might last for this long a time, or be this intense. There have been many days when I was not sure I could get thru. I have also feared for my job, beacuse the pain has been so bad and my job is physical..I did read the huge list of things to expect, and of things that might go wrong: this was not on the list. This is, like I said, not specifically surgical pain but is apparently due to the lipo. The pain covers a large area and I cannot tolerate any touch to any of that area. I cannot wear any clothes that even brush on it; I live in a a cold area but can only wear v necks, no turtlenecks or even crew necks, no regular shirts with collars. If touched unexpectedly,for instance by a child, (I have grandkids) it is just awful.

The pain is a bit less and my surgeon says it should continue to improve over the next 5 months. Also, He has suggested a revision for the neck but I am afraid to have anything more done: at the same time, the current look is very uneven, quite disturbing looking.

I think he took it all lightly, and did not know what to do about my side effects, which were unusual. rather than say so, he kept suggesting other/more surgery (still is)and suggesting drugs for nerve pain which would undoubtedly result in my losing my job (bad side effects that would clearly effect my job performance)

where is your ps located?
I am so sorry to hear of your horrible experience & ongoing pain. I agree with Mig - to look into RSD/CRPS. I had surgery mid last year. 5 days after the surgery I suddenly got a red rash (no bumps) at the site of surgery & extreme, shooting pain that radiated through one side of limb - it was not an infection. Took about a week for several Dr's to realize it was shingles - After treating the shingles (late in the game) it evolved into a chronic pain called PHN (nerve pain). Feeling pain as simple as the wind blowing was something I related to before getting on a long term plan - they put me on lyrica (newer med than the gabapentin they typically prescribe for nerve pain) for months -which I am still on. Lyrica is used for nerve pain issues to help RSD, fibro, phn... You may want to look into lyrica.
I looked up the whole nerve pain RSD syndrome and well, I fit it pretty well. I never heard of this before...I have the red/white discoloration, the temperature differences, (like a fever in my neck),the red "pin pricks" on the skin,as well as the pain and intense sensitivity, the burning and pain like it is an exposed nerve..I cant bear touch of any kind, like you said, even the breeze.... My Dr suggested Lyrica but I looked into side effects and they scared me. I work with violent kids, I have to be 100% as they are unpredictable, and at any moment, (really) I have to be able to catch them, and secure them physically, sometimes when on the stairs. I cannot be dizzy or tired, ever. I would have to quit, or would be fired. I cannot get a different job in this economy (I am soooo tired of that statement!!!!!!!) and likely have to keep this job till retirement. I only get thru the pain of the day by knowing I can get some measure of relief when I get home, from old prescriptions (which are running out).......lyrica has to be taken regularly, cannot be taken on an "as needed" basis. The old presciptions for pain decrease the pain in the evening, after work, making the day bearable....and can be taken "AS NEEDED" but, again, they are running out. So. I don't know Shingles is nasty, only good thing is that it goes away!!! I am sorry to hear of anyone who experiences anything like this. it is horrible. i could try Lyrica if I did not have this job.THanks for your comment. I hope your pain is better............
Everything you have described points to RSD/CRPS. Please read up on this, talk to your health provider and ask for tests. Ask to be referred to a pain management doctor who is familiar with RSD/CRPS. Do not let doctors talk you out of this and try to convince you that it is all in your head! I'm a sufferer, I know what I'm speaking of.
Thanks, I just saw your reply, I will look into that.............
Could you at least give the initial of the dr's last name?
would you be willing to talk on email? jdrbronx@hotmail.com
I am so sorry to hear about your outcome. I am going in two weeks and feel like I have researched for a very long time. Is there any recommendation you might make? Be well.
hmmmmm. I felt that way, too. If you are definately going to go thru with it, be aware of the "other" which, as far as i can tell, can be ANYTHING. Not just what they tell you about. Not all facelifts go well. There are side effects that no-one expects, no-one tells you about, no-one considers. I did not mention a few of my others in my blog. Before my facelift, i said I was ready to deal with bad effects because my neck was just so bad....I figured nothing could be worse. In all honesty, aside from the pain, this "look" is not worse, as my neck really was bad....but it is not too much better (in some ways, I guess it is worse, beacause it's also unnatural, the "swellings" and windswept wrinkes are so wierd looking) and I am out 8,000 and live with chronic pain......... Just so you know: this pain feels like a set of nerves has been laid externally on my neck and cut open. Even a little breeze hurts like hell. hopefully that will get better, but..... If you are having liposuction, consider this effect. (I took narcotics for 6 months, at night only so I could work all day, but they will not give me any more)I communicate regularly with two other women who have chronic, nasty pain........3-5 years post...........Both do live on drugs. Consider these things. Some people do great, but which one will you be? Are you in the 79% or the 21%? I think if anyone had said "you could lose your job" I never would have done this. i am 59, 5 years from retirement and not wealthy..........If you decide to go thru with it, best of luck, and feel free to stay in touch.