My Second Rhinoplasty - New Orleans, LA

I had my first rhinoplasty in 2005 to remove the...

I had my first rhinoplasty in 2005 to remove the bump on my nose. It looked so much better and I was very happy with it for a few years. The last four years or so, my nose started bothering me again. The hump was gone, but I felt my nose was too big for my face. I didn't mind my nose from the front, but my tip was still long and over-projected from the side. I had my first consultation in 2010 with the same doctor that performed my first rhinoplasty, but I did not have enough time for taking off school, work, and recovery. I work from home now and met with my doctor again for a second consultation in the beginning of January. I decided to go through with the procedure and had it done on January 24. Here are some before pictures.

Cast removal and swelling

I decided to write this review two days ago when my swelling was starting to go down and I was out of my mini-depression. I'll explain. I had my procedure on January 24th and everything went fine. I was home the next six days and had my great parents taking caring of me. I only needed a few of my pain pills, and I mainly took them because I had the worst headaches for a few days. I'm used to having a few cups of coffee every day, and my instructions said no caffeine for two weeks, so I think I was having caffeine withdrawals! I had my cast removed on Thursday, January 30. When the cast came off and I looked in the mirror, I was shocked... and not in a good way. My nose, especially my tip, was so swollen (one side more than the other), and my nose was twice as big as going into surgery. I looked in the mirror one time and couldn't look again for hours. I didn't recognize myself and was convinced I made the biggest mistake of my life (yes, I know I sound like a drama queen). I read hours and hours of reviews about how not to judge your nose right away... there will be swelling... the tip will look big... but it's much different reading it than actually seeing it on your face. I was convinced for the next two days that this was my new nose. I was avoiding mirrors as much as possible. I couldn't believe that I ruined my face from the front just so I could have a better nose from the side. I was crying constantly to my parents. Two days later, I woke up and thought that I was either getting way too used to my new nose, or the swelling was finally going down. After looking at some pictures from the second day of my cast coming off, I realized that the swelling was going down, and I was starting to look like myself again. I decided to write this review because I hope someone who feels this way upon seeing their nose for the first time will not jump to conclusions, and it really is only the beginning. I'm now 12 days post-op, and the swelling continues to go down. I wish I had a picture from the front of my nose the first day of cast removal, but I was too upset to take one (again, drama queen). Here are some more pictures.

3 weeks post-op

It has been 3 weeks since my revision rhinoplasty. I had a slight bump shaved down and a lot of tip cartilage removed. I haven't seen that much additional swelling go down in the past week, but my nose is looking pretty good. I notice my nose looks best late at night. I try to sleep propped up with pillows, but I always end up turning on my side or stomach. Oh well... I'd rather be comfortable! My tip still looks a little big and uneven. My swelling fluctuates... some days are better than others. Sometimes I look in the mirror and I still don't recognize myself which is a weird feeling. I have my first post-op appointment with my doctor on Wednesday. I'll do another update soon! Here and some more pictures.

6 weeks post-op

Not much change since my last update. Thought I'd post some pictures anyway. For some reason I think the swelling looks best right before bed. One side is more swollen than the other, but I'm sure I'm the only one who really notices. I took a photo from the front with the flash on, and it looks so humongous! I won't be posting that one. Sticking to dim lighting until the swelling goes down more :)

update

Hi everyone! haven't been on in a while so I thought I would share some photos. My recovery has been going great. All I really have to say is that rhinoplasty can be hard on your mind. I am happy to not have such a sharp, pointy sideview, but sometimes when I look at myself straight on I feel like I don't look as good and like myself from the front. My family says it's just me and I look exactly the same, and I wish I saw that. I feel like my nose is a lot wider from the front, but I'm sure I see it much worse than others. Some days are better than others. Here's some pictures!