Pre Tummy Tuck and Nervous/excited

After years of having a "pouch",thanks...

After years of having a "pouch",thanks to hereditary, 2 c sections and a 25lb weight loss, I finally decided to take the plunge. I met with my ps last night and am so nervous and excited.

I am thrilled to find this site and hopefully get honest answers and opinions as we go through this. I don't have a date set but it looks like I will have to wait until June. My husband does a lot of traveling for work and it won't calm down until then.

My first question is do those of you who have gone through this think it's a good idea to wait until he can be home for weeks at a time?

I have decided to wait until June. I set a date on June 7th. I am so excited/nervous!! I am slightly worried that my summer will pretty much suck with recovery but I can't wait to have this done. thanks for asking
Hi there, Just wondering if you've decided to go through with the tummy tuck or if you're waiting until June? :)
I had my tummy tuck last Wednesday, March 25th, 2010. I am 32 years old and I have three boys ages 9-5-3. My husband was very supportive and I was so glad I had him home. He returned to work yesterday and I wish he was still home. I am lucky though because my mother in law and my mother are here. Everyday it gets better, I always thought I had a high pain tollerance but I guess I was wrong. I don't want to discourage you but be prepared. I'm on day 4 and still sleeping in my lazy boy, and still can't walk up straight. My mother in law pulled out the pain pump on Friday and I didn't feel anything. I still have the drainage pump until Tuesday but it's not bothering me much. The worst of it is my hips where the stitches end. My plastic surgeon told me I had a very long torso therefore I am very tight and maybe that is why the pain is worse than I was prepared for. On that note I only took pain killers for the first two days before bed and none during the day. And I haven't taken anything at all since. I was feeling a little depressed about my decision but my plastic surgeon re assures me that these are normal feelings and that once I see the final results I will be supper happy. Best of luck with your decision to have a tummy tuck, by the way I also had my thighs done while I was at it, and besides a little bruising that part doesn't bother me.
thanks so much for your responses! We are going to sit down and talk more about it this weekend. He (my husband) is super supportive and wants to be here for the week or two after. It just kills me to wait until June!! I finally go this far and I just want it now!! I also want it done sooner so I can reap the rewards this summer. Otherwise I will spend most of it recouping I think.
If it's not your husband that is home with you, then make sure it's someone that your absolutely comfortable with! You may be pretty groggy or irritable within those first few days, and you will want anything of comfort near you! I personally - wouldn't wait for my husband (if I had one), only cause I didn't want anyone really near me anyway! lol... whatever you decide good luck!
The main thing is you need someone to help out at least for the first 4 days to a week...husband, friend, relative, whichever. It only matters if your husband is home because he is the only one that can help. My husband was home, but I still had a very good friend take care of me because I knew she'd be much better at it. My husband loves my results, but at the time not 100% happy with my choice so I realized he would not be sympathetic to any pain I had :)

Hi Jrzmom,

Welcome to RealSelf! Looking forward to following your tummy tuck journey.

Absolutely, if you have the option to wait until your husband is home to help you, you should. People have different recovery speeds but you will need help for the first few days at least.