Incognito - New Jersey

I just got my ibraces on 12/20/10. Before getting...

I just got my ibraces on 12/20/10. Before getting the braces on, I looked at some reviews online. Since, I didn't find any thorough ones; I thought I'd create one for people who are considering this procedure.

I chose this option, because I had traditional braces on in my 20's and didn't feel that I ever wanted to go through that again. Also, invisalign was not an option for me, because I have to get teeth removed and an overbite corrected. My original orthodontist said he could correct my bite without extractions. He made my bite a little wider and it did bring the overbite back a little, but it didn't fix the problem.

In October, I got x-rays, molds, and pictures taken. They were sent out to Europe for the braces to be produced in accordance to my teeth. It took about ten week to get them back.

This week, I went back for my dentist to install the brackets. It took about an hour and a half. They had to put this big plastic thing in my mouth to keep it open to clean, prep, and attach the brackets. It was uncomfortable. The brackets are made of a gold alloy, but the wires and elastics are silver in color. He also put what looks like white fillings on my back molars so that my teeth don't bite down on the metal.

Now, I have a bit of a lisp with S's and TH's. They said it would get better within 2 days to 2 weeks. Hopefully my speech will return to normal ASAP. Also, the brackets and wires irritate my tongue, but I haven't felt the need to apply wax. Furthermore, the product added to my molars makes me feel that I have marbles in my mouth, for my bite doesn't fully close and my jaw line looks more squared. I don't think that will affect my eating, but of course right now my teeth are too sensitive to eat much in the way of solid foods. There is also a slight grayish hue to my teeth, apparently teeth are translucent. However, it is very slight and doesn't really bother me.

All in all, I feel I am doing the right thing and my issues will improve in a few weeks, for I have confidence in my doctor and the 3M product.

BTW, I had to choose something for satisfaction, but since I am still being treated that has yet to be determined.

Hi, I am wondering what doctor you used as I am in NJ too and considering. Please all feedback is definitley appreciated!

Hi cantwait,

Welcome to the community. You are right this review will for sure help other community members. How long to are you scheduled to wear the brackets? Please keep us updated.

Thanks,

-Britt

During my fee consultation, I felt that the doctor thoroughly explained the benefits of the procedure down to the millimeter, and I didn't feel pressured to make a commitment. I was also pleased with the homey and clean appearance which helps me to feel more at ease.