20 and Recovering from Arm Lift!

I'm only 20 years old, but have been overweight...

I'm only 20 years old, but have been overweight most of my life. Between the ages of 10 and 11 I gained approximately 80-100 pounds, which led to my being 250 pounds and in the 7th grade. From this high weight, I now weigh about 185, a weight I would be comfortable at if not for the excess amount of skin I have on my arms and sides. I'm having an extended brachioplasty next week, as well as dermolipectomy around my ribcage.
ooo is that what it's called... I had a LOT of skin removed around my ribcage, I thought it formed part of the tummy tuck... You are so brave to have your arms done, i've had lipo on mine and it's made a difference but I am contemplating the lift... I hope you have an easy journey... Look forward to seeing your new pictures x
Yes, he referred to it as a "bilateral chest dermolipectomy." Whatever it's called, I'm happy to have it done! I'm scared for the scars I'll have but hoping for a good result. I can almost see the arms I should have under all that skin! Thanks so much for the kind words :)
if you dont mind me asking, what is dermolipectomy?

Nervous and Pondering

A little over 4 days to go! I'm starting to realize how terrified I am of the pain and possibility of a poor result. I'm also interested in what will happen if I lose an additional 20-40 pounds after the procedure. Will my skin stretch out again? Perhaps I rushed into this.
I would suggest to discuss your concerns with the doctor and either delay your surgery or go further with it if you are completely confident about it.
I think I just rushed into this and so I got scared. I've wanted this for almost half of my life, and I'm finally ready to make it happen. I'm nervous but confident that it will be the right thing in the end, and I definitely have faith in my doctor. :)
Im 10 days post op tummy tuck and arm lift. Just like u I have been overweight my whole life as well. 350 was my highest in my mid 20s. I got active and decided to take control of my health and lost 115lbs. you will be so happy with the arm lift! I was excited about my arms as soon as I woke up. I even had an extended lift.. pain isnt too bad . After a week they get kind of tight and swollen amd the incisons feel tight from scabbing . But definitely worth it ! I cant wait to put a tank on without a shrug this summer ! I plan to wear my scars proud! Lol check out my profile. Im here if u have any questions along your journey hopefully I can help u through the anxiety since im a bit ahead of u with the whole process :)

Tomorrow is the day!

In twelve hours I'll be on the operating table! My mother flew in to take care of me (oh, the joys of being young) and we're all settled in. I was a bit nervous before but after talking everything over with the doctor I'm confident in the decision. I appreciate the kind comments and love reading all the other reviews on here. You guys are what inspired me to go for this in the first place! I'm thinking I need to take more before pictures of my back and sides to compare after tomorrow.
Thinking about you !!! Let us know how surgery went when you're up to it ! So excited to hear your update :)
The arm lift is not bad at all and I didn't take one of the prescribed medication at all...just tylenol. I went to work on Wednesday (i'm self employed and own an office and we had an office meeting the first day of my return) but I already started to work from home the day after the surgery for part of the day.
100% take more pics of you pre op because when you have those down days your old pics will def pull you though! I've put some comparison pics up and shoes where I had skin removed from around rib cage and the difference is big! Good luck sweets xx

Recovering, slowly but surely

Surgery went five and a half hours yesterday, longer than the doctor expected. Upon waking up, I burst into tears from the immediate pain. Since that time, I've been doing alright but am struggling to move much at all. I also spent all of yesterday nauseous and couldn't keep any food or liquid down. The arms are not nearly as limiting as the skin removed from my sides and back. The pictures posted are from yesterday. Hoping this gets better. :(
Just read your blog & hope you are doing better. I'm 2 days post op myself. T-scar brachio & bra line back lift. Total of 5 procedures. Was very nauseous after surgery & had a very dry mouth. The nurse didn't want to give any liquids because it provoked me to gag. Thank God I'm doing much better. But, ready to take theses garments off!
I feel you on the garments! I'm so anxious to see what I'll be working with during the next stages of recovery! After day 2 things got a lot better for me, so look forward to more mobility and less pain. :)
Hey girl hope things are starting to get better for you ?

"It'll all be worth it."

This has been my mantra the past few days amidst the frustration and doubts. With a change in pain medication my nausea issues have subsided, and the non-narcotic is still managing my pain fairly well. I'm up and walking every hour or so, but still have trouble with lifting my arms more than a few inches up and have pain upon standing up straight. I have my post-op tomorrow and can't wait to see the first results of the procedures, and to take a real shower! I was planning on going to class today, but the snowstorm provided me with a snow day! I'll take that and try to get up and going tomorrow, but I really don't want to go to classes with these drains hanging off of me. Hoping those come out tomorrow as well since there's hardly any drainage. Things definitely got better! Thanks so much for all the support.
Thinkin of ya girly . Hope your days are getting easier
Thank you! I've been doing really really well. :)
The garment will be your enemy in the first days and later it will become kind of your friend when the swelling goes down. I'm now at my 6 weeks post surgery mark (tomorrow) and hardly have any discomfort but when I get home from work I put on the garment and in the morning before work I put it on. Not sure how long I will keep doing it since I hardly feel anything anymore and my scars look so good. Tomorrow I will make some new pictures and post them. My only regret is not having done this years ago but I didn't have the wings at age 20 like you have but I know why you had the surgery and how happy you will be when you see the results sooner than later. Good luck

Drains out, loving the results!

I had my first post-op appointment yesterday and the drains did indeed come out! They were VERY painful coming out and I was a bit freaked out by how much of the drain was inside of me! But I'm happy to have them gone as it made me feel much more able to move around and go in public. The bandages came off with them, and I was pretty happy with the results! My arms are still a lot bigger than I'd like, but they are CRAZY swollen.
I went back to classes yesterday and have overall been pretty free and comfortable. Still taking pain meds but have been out shopping all day without too much exhaustion. I was so SO happy to buy some things today that I never ever EVER would have bought before! I absolutely cannot wait for this summer. Thanks for all the love! I hope everyone else recovering on here is doing well! I'll be posting pics soon!
Tammy, your arms are amazing! Even at just 3 days post op they looked better than my dream arms (sorry, I just spend a LOT of time thinking about arms lol). When did the swelling start going down for you?
My doctor told me that I don't need a special garment, but that if I just get a tight long sleeved shirt for comfort that would work. This seems different from all the other people recovering from arm lift around here, and the swelling from being out all day is really getting to me right now. Weird! And girl! Your arms DEFINITELY look small! You look great! My doctor uses Tegaderm on incisions, which has seemed to keep mine closed up pretty well! I'm supposed to use it for the next 3 months, changing it every 2 weeks.

Picture time!

Looking back through the before pics is just so startling. HUGE difference already. My arms are still big and I don't like the swollen bulges on my back, but I'm hoping that improves with time.
Wow, looking great! Waiting to look decent and go shopping myself! Never wore sleeveless anything, can't wait.
Thank you so much! And yes, it will be the best feeling in the world! I'm happy that you're going to feel better about yourself and get more freedom. :)
Wow girl those pics are very Impressive ! The back swell don't stress I had mine lipo'd and it didn't make a visual difference at all so now instead of two long floppy saddle bags back there it's like to heavy sacs of water back there . It will be swollen. ! Same with arms ! Your arms look great! Also swelling there totally normal and will fluctuate day to day! Looking good ! Now I can't wait to get my back done! Thanks for sharing your pics !

Post-surgical blues?

Has anyone on here had any experience with sadness after surgery? I'm happy with the results, but have had a hard time concentrating and have been generally down the past couple of days. My mother left last night and I've been crying on and off ever since. I did some research and it might have to do with after-effects of anesthesia? I'm also still needing my pain meds at almost a week out, is this normal? I'm taking something non-narcotic, but nonetheless feel guilty for needing the meds.
You are having the post surgery blues for sure! Everyone seems to get them....
Hey stranger how are you doing?
Oh girl the sadness is perfectly normal we all went through it. It'll pass I promise. As far as the pain meds - well i use those until i don't need them anymore . I came off after a week because it was making me sick but then got a lower dose which I had to start taking a few days ago only because of my arms though .

2 and a half weeks out, feeling much better!

I've been off this site for awhile as I've been getting back into my classes, work, and extracurricular responsibilities. I've been healing pretty well, except for a small hole that opened up in my left armpit. My right arm is still showing less swelling than my left, and I wish both of them were a lot smaller, but I suppose they are fairly proportionate for my body size at this time. I hope to post pictures soon, and can't thank all of you enough for the kind comments. The sadness has mostly gone away, and I'm still tired and a bit out of touch, but haven't been experiencing the extreme "down in the dumps" feeling that I had a week post-op. I also just received a very expensive anesthesia bill for the extra surgery time--not really too pleased about that on top of my other bills. :(