Sepsis After Breast Augmentation - Nebraska, NE

I am a healthy 33 year old mother of 3. I run...

I am a healthy 33 year old mother of 3. I run marathons and take my health very seriously. In February, I had a BA with the best cosmetic surgeon my city has to offer. Days later I developed a blood infection known as sepsis. This was caused by a bacteria I contracted during my BA that permeated my body and began to take over. I was very sick, had a blood transfusion and ultimately an explant of both implants. There were times my doctors thought I wouldn't make it. I never considered the risks of an augmentation to be serious, but I do now. I definitely encourage others to think twice before getting cosmetic surgery. If something like this can happen to me, the girl next door, it can happen to anyone. Please consider the risks. Truly, your life depends on it.

To date I am left with pain in my chest from where the infection was. I can hardly lift my right arm. At times it hurts to breathe. My breasts now look more deflated than ever, yet I will never revisit this surgery. And I am met with a shrug of the shoulders about what happened. It seems unfair and I'm now wondering if I'll ever be able to run again. Will I ever be able to sleep on my side again? Will I ever be able to hug someone tightly again? None of it seems right, yet no one really seems to care.

Surgical Aesthetic Images

I am truly sorry to hear about what you went through and I couldn't even begin to imagine how infurating it must be to have been met with a shrug of "oh well' by your PS and staff. This really is an important warning women need to be aware of; the possibility of risks..it can never be taken lightly. I pray for a quick recovery on your part and take care.

As difficult as this may be, thank you so much for sharing your story on RealSelf. Many women will read and learn from your struggle. I am sorry to hear of your battle with sepsis...it really does seem unfair. I am hoping that your athletic body will heal in a few months and that you will be able to run again. I'm sure this will be very therapeutic for you. Please keep us posted on your progress. Take care!

Woe that is awful, I am sorry that such a horrible thing happened to you. Good luck on your recovery