My Dark Skin & Miradry - Charlotte, NC

I was a little concern with going through with the...

I was a little concern with going through with the Miradry procedure for several reasons. I was most concerned that this was not a treatment for people of darker or African American complexion, since I had never seen anyone of my skin color giving testimonial advice; I just assumed it was something for lighter skinned people. I was so worried that I e-mailed the Miradry Company to see if they could address my concern. To my surprise, they didn’t offer much help, just replied by stating that they did not do much studies of darker people and, the people of my “pigment color” were possibly may not have as good of results as some folks of other complexions. So basically, I took that to be a nice way for them to say “proceed at your own risk.” I spoke with my P.A. in that dermatology office that I chose in Charlotte and I decided to weigh my options of keeping my sweaty pits or possibly getting rid of it…and I decided to take a leap of faith.

I got the first half of procedure done Monday, July 29th. And, for the first time since I was in maybe the 3rd or 4th grade, I had the driest arms everrrrr!!! I was like a different person. The small amount of discomfort and swelling was worth it!!! For the 6 or 7 weeks afterwards, I did not require deodorant at all. When I did start needing it, I use an unscented and waterproof clinical strength type by Secret at night; and nothing in the day time. Come November (Maybe 2 or 3 weeks before time for the 2nd procedure and some sweat did return and I simply started using an unscented for daytime. Amazing I did sweat, but it was like a miraculous that I did not have one stench of odor. I was advised by someone online that if you maintain a healthy diet, some probably don’t need any deodorant at all.

I have learned several things but that biggest help for me was when I was told to my reduce caffeine intake. There’s something in caffeine that raises the heart rate, which (long story short) in turn makes you sweat!!!*** Lol

The second treatment was done by a physician that was new to the office since the P.A. that I had previously was now on maturity leave. She was getting certified on using the Miradry equipment with 2 Miradry reps showed her through the steps. It told twice as long, but I felt more comfortable with representatives being there, then not. They asked that a person of my complexion to be the “tester.” I must admit, the 2nd treatment was a much more physically uncomfortable process than the first. I actually felt a few of the heat from the machine; we had to stop twice to get more numbing shots under my arm.

Healing from the first and second session are two very different experiences. The tennis ball swelling went down much more quickly the second time than the first. But nearly two weeks after, I still have a tremendous amount of soreness. And, I still have an awful amount of numbness or nerve sensation going on under my right arm. When I am trying to bathe underneath that arm, it is as if I hit nerves that start to tingle all that way down my arm to my fingertips. But, that too is slowly subsiding.

I did sweat a small amount of excess sweating for a day or two. I was so worried that the 2nd procedure did not take, so called the doctor. Naturally, I was told to wait to awhile to see what happens. I have already started using deodorant again. There are rare instances, some patients need three treatments, but at this point, I am not sure if I will or not.

All and all, I cannot complain about Miradry, thus far. My worries about my complexion was really not an issue at all. If I could give some suggestions to someone looking to have the Miradry experience…

Make sure you are dealing with a physician that specializes in skin. Some doctors move from state to state changing specialties. Though still technically a doctor, some only take weekend courses to legally be able to do certain work. For example, I know of a doctor that was an ob/gyn in Florida. He got his license revoked in that state for negligence a child’s birth and he simply moved to North Carolina and got a state license there and open a skin/laser practice. Simply doing a search; looking through your state physician citation list; or even putting the doctor’s name in a google search with a word like “death,” “revoke,” “license” or something of the sort.

Have a Better Diet by staying away from caffeine, spicy foods, salty foods. Remember what you put into you will come out somehow, someway.

***And***Join sweat-help.org : It’s the website...

***And***Join sweat-help.org : It’s the website that gives great up-to-date information on excessive sweating. It also provides ways to get insurance to help, discounts on sweat cover ups, doctor lists, etc.
Lessie Marquez-Durst, PAC, Dermatology, Laser & Vein Specialists of the Carolinas

Wow, you are brave! I would have been way too freaked out to try it if they said they weren't sure how it would work on your skin. I'm sorry to hear that your second treatment was rougher than the first, but am very relieved to hear that you are seeing improvement in the numbness and tingling.

Your advice to check your doctors credentials is great advice.

Thank you for sharing the beginning of your experience with us. Please continue to update us so we can know how things are working out in the long run. Hopefully it will be great things, but we definitely want to hear either way.

I am a person of African descent, not exactly African American and I had this brilliant procedure done. The whole dark skin and visibility thing was slightly humorous of course, but the tattoo itself is completely black and it was clearly visible. I have my second procedure coming up soon. What level was your first and second procedure at?
One and then a Two for the second one

What is the tattoo? The grid pattern thing they draw on you?

Yeah, the grid pattern. Level one and two are pretty low though. I could barely feel any heat on level one.