Breast Reduction Journey - North Carolina

I've always been 'heavy chested' and...

I've always been 'heavy chested' and really didn't begin to have issues until a few years ago ... I've been up and down with my weight but my 'boobs' didn't vary ... so I began to experience neck, shoulder and upper back pain ... I talked with my PCP and it was concluded that breast reduction surgery was medically necessary to get rid of this chronic pain I was experiencing!

Welcome 38G! I experienced so much pain relief after my reduction, you are going to be amazed at how good you feel!

Originally I was denied (Feb 2012), which was...

Originally I was denied (Feb 2012), which was really disappointing because I was so sure that this was medically necessary ... Well I found out that I met all of the criteria (photos, x-rays, weight) required EXCEPT based on my height/weight, my PS needed to increase the amt of grams to be removed!

I reached out (to this community - great support) and was able to find an appeal letter; it had the basic information, I just had to 'tweak' it to my needs. I was advised by my PS office that I really needed to appeal this denial, so I began my 'tweaking' because I really needed this surgery.

So about 6 weeks later, GREAT NEWS … I was APPROVED ... my PS worked it out for me ... I've got a pre-op date for May 3rd, scheduled for surgery on May 16th ... so looking forward to the relief from chronic pain in neck/shoulders/back … Asking for all of your prayers!

WooHoo! So glad the appeal worked for you! You are going to feel so much relief when this is all over!

Ok ... So today is the day!!! In approximately...

Ok ... So today is the day!!! In approximately two hrs my surgery will begin ... I'm sooooooo looking forward to this procedure! Iknow that GOD is already waiting for me there ... I've prayed for successful outcome and speedy recovery ... I'm still a little anxious but I think that's just the himan part of me ... it will be ALL worth it wjen I'm done to no longer have back/neck/shouldrr pain ... To be able to enter a room 'before my girls' ... LOL! Please say a small prayer for me and I'll talk to you ladies again on the post-opt side.

How did your surgery go? I hope you are doing well and are able to update soon. Take care!
Saying a prayer for you.

Hi Ladies ... Wellllll ... All went well in the OR...

Hi Ladies ... Wellllll ... All went well in the OR ... and I'm beginning to feel GREAT! If I had to do it again I would! I love the way my PS and his staff made me feel ... and the results so far have been awesome! I don't remember what time I actually came out of surgery, but I know that I got home and into bed, when I actually woke up it was around 3:30/4pm that day ... I was in a little pain, but nothing the meds didn't take care of (smile)!

So I'm 5 days post opt, and I go back to the PS office on Thursday for my check-up ... I guess he will remove the 'brown tape' which is coveing my stiches! I've been taking it easy, per the post-opt instructions, but it's so hard to just 'sit still' for me ... LOL ... But I'm doing my best!

The ONLY part of this that has bothered me the most is the constipation from the pain meds ... I'm not a pill person anyway, so I really didn't want to take the pain meds, but I did b/c I know that I needed it to aide with my recovery ... but by day 3 I was having issues going to the bath room ... as I was advised, I took a stool softner (Colace) EVERYTIME I took pain medicine, but that didn't work for me ... then I tried Miralax ... I'd also been drinking lots of water ... but that didn't help ... I actually ended up having to use a suppository for relieve on day four (TMI) ... so I'm just sharing my experience in order to help someone during their time of post opt! The swelling has gone down a little but I'm still not sure 'what size' I'm going to be in the end ... we were going for a full C cup (from a 40DDD/38G) ... But so far I'm happy with the results!

I'm up for any questions ... AND I just want to personally THANK YOU all for your prayers and support! I'll definitely check back in after my post-opt visit with an update!

Have a good day!

Please join RealSelf or sign in.

Hi Ladies ... Wellllll ... All went well in the OR...

Have a good day!

@mszee ... it was Dr. Kays @ Wilmington Plastic Surgery ... GREAT experience! I know your pain ... hopefully you will soon be on 'the other side' (post op) ... Healing is going good ... not much pain, just discomfort at times, but overall GREAT! Good Luck!
Hello 38g. I am also in NC and would love to know who your dr was/is? I am a 34J and need some help girl. These thangs are weighing me down...lol Please if you could give me that info it would be greatly appreciated. How is your healing going? From the pictures you posted they look really good.
Thanks for the info.... I'm a side sleeper too so I'll make sure to stock up on the pillows.