Taking a Gamble - Camp Hill, PA

I'm 19 years old and started college this past...

I'm 19 years old and started college this past fall. I've never been a fan of my teeth and I blame their state on braces that I had about 10 years ago. When I was 7 my dentist recommended braces and within a year I had partial braces on my front teeth. The only issue was that my braces were straightening about 2 adult teeth and primarily my baby teeth. During this process, my upper left baby canine fell out. At the time however, I had a metal bar that attached the brackets on my 4 front teeth to my molars in the back. This metal left no place for my tooth to grow in, therefore creating what i call..."the fang."

This was initially what lead me to go to an Invisalign consultation today. I vowed to never have braces again even though I know my smile needs orthodontic work. I was excited, hopful and feeling good about it. That vanished when the orthodontist came in and the first thing she said to me was "you will need to have 4 of your teeth pulled due to crowding." When i had braces before, they tried addressing my crowding issues with expanders, bands etc. and talked about removing teeth, but decided it wasn't necessary (probably because of my age). The crowding didn't surprise me, but being told today that I need four bicuspid's removed (the teeth between my molars and canines, sorry for the bad description) scares the crap out of me. I really hate the idea of removing 4 perfectly healthy teeth and the uncertainty of the outcome. My orthodontist assured me the gaps will be filled and the missing teeth won't be noticable by the end, but who thinks about losing teeth at 19? I'm also afraid of what eating is going to be like, I eat my meals in a dining hall and 90% of the time its with other people. I paid the down payment today for the invisalign, so this is all getting done in the next few weeks (including my extraction) but I'm feeling really indifferent about it right now.

'Nbraces