Transman Double Bilateral Mastectomy - Chest Surgery - Canberra, AU

I had a Double Bilateral Mastectomy to remove my...

I had a Double Bilateral Mastectomy to remove my 12C breasts as part of my transition into the correctly gendered body.
I couldn't fault this operation/the results, the lead up to, and now the post-op care if I tried. Dr Milovic and his team are amazing, and have gone out of their way to assist me where needed. My surgery has changed my life dramatically in just the 6 weeks that I have been post-op, and the Dr Milovic and his amazing surgery he performed on me is the soul reason!

After an initial consult, and clearing up some required paperwork, I booked in my surgery for only 1 month ahead - such a tiny waiting time!

As a Transgender man, the results of my chest surgery mean the absolute world to me. Bad results can only increase my daily body dysphoria. From seeing other Transmen on the internet, there is a great deal of things that can go wrong-aesthetically wise-not to physically, eg blood clots.
Alot of Transmen have surgery where nipple placement can be uneven, stretched or in the wrong position in terms of placement on the pectoral muscle. Additionally, thick or wonky scars can often lead to judgement, harassment or weird/questioning looks when a Transman is shirtless eg at the pool.
Dr Milovic explained he would prefer to shy away from the common 'inverted T anchor' method, where scars are large and easily visible as they sit at the front of the torso, and instead make an incision around the entire nipple, then diagonally outward and down, so that the scars are hidden to the side of the body and underneath the arms.
While this method is not a common one for Transman, Dr Milovic was certain that this would provide the best outcome for scarring and be aesthetically pleasing. And he was 100% right.
Currently I am just a few days over 6 weeks post op, and all bruising and pain has subsided. Whilst I do still have skin folding due to some swelling, I am certainly close to completely recovered!

PROS
- hassle free
- thin, neat and straight incisions
- taking into account the masculinity of a hairy chest, Dr Milovic shaved the most minimal amount of hair possible for the surgery, which I found to be very thoughtful
- dressings were well placed and comfortable, and lasted a long time
- my main concern was my nipples 'dieing' after surgery but they are fine
- Dr Milovic offers free post-op care up to 1 year
- His office practice have had all necessary post-op care ites available for purchase to minimise hassle of finding the correct items at pharmacies, and give easy to understand advice on usage EG. silicone tape, surgical compression vests

CONS
- He is often busy/you may need to book a consult a few weeks ahead.
(However, not yet have I found a medical practitioner who isn't busy!)

UPDATE

Please note; Dr Milovic's practice may not be able to book you in for an initial consult with a short waiting time as he is a busy surgeon.
I saw Dr Milovic on numerous occasions whilst undertaking ongoing counselling for approximately 6-7 months before my surgery was actually booked in.
Sydney Plastic Surgeon

Dr Milovic is a friendly yet very professional surgeon. He does not beat around the bush, and is very straight forward with any concerns he has. It is clear from an initial consult he is extremely well practiced, and he is always well groomed and runs a tidy, efficient office. He went out of his way to find a cheaper hospital for me to have my surgery in, and had the occasional joke to share. All of his staff are wonderful, super friendly and easy to chat with. But the best part about Dr Milovic, in my opinion, is that he will work with what you want, to optimize your results.

Thanks RayHuntsman - great review. Very honest and helpful. Always nice to hear that the surgeon is thoughtful and will do a bit more to make the patient comfortable. Makes all the difference. We don't have much choice here in Canberra (imo there are only two I would consider). I have an appt with Dr Milovic next week. Think you're review has helped me make my mind up. Your results look amazing. Congratulations and thank you very much for sharing your story.
Hi Nicejobs, thanks for that. Agreed that unfortunately Canberra does not have a lot of options, but I am glad that you have found Dr Milovic he runs a great practice. Best of luck with your future endeavours!
Welcome, so happy you decided to share your journey with us!! Your results are incredible, and it's wonderful that you had a hassle free surgery and that you are feeling more comfortable in your own skin. Are you using anything specific on the incision while they heal?
Hi Eva, thank you very much. I am currently using Silicone strips on my scars, that I got from Dr Milovic's office
I hear those work well from members in the Tattoo Removal community who use them.  I tried them once but I didn't continue so I can't confirm - please keep us posted on how they work for you.