21 And My Consistent Struggle With Acne - Naperville, IL

I have been struggling with acne since puberty. My...

I have been struggling with acne since puberty. My first battle with acne ended with pitted scars on my cheeks, temples, and jawline. I have used a plethora of creams, face washes, and oral medications, including Accutane. I started using Retin-A Micro .04% once a day on 2/5/14, along with using Cephalexin 500mg, twice daily. It has been a little over a week of using it and I have noticed some dryness around my nose and chin area, but not too bad. I have also started breaking out a lot on the lower half of my face including the front and back of my neck. Hopefully this is just the purging process. Fingers crossed.
U should buy tretinoin gel 0.1 its amazing at shrinking/drying out and getting rid of spots especially the ones you get under the skin. Just make sure you follow the instructions and be patient it does take a few weeks/ months to get completely acne free skin but the wait is well worth it. Its usually perscribed but u can order off ebay I got mine for £13
You should DEFINITELY try tretinoin gel (retin a) 0.1 which is the strongest. Ive been using it for two weeks and it literally dries out and shrinks pimples esp good for red under the skin ones it gets rid of em after like two - three days. Only con-it dries and makes ur skin red but that doesnt stop be from using it. I ordered mine on ebay for about £13 its a real one and works well just read instruction and be patient
I was on Accutane for around 2 months. During my treatment I got a blood clot in my leg and lungs so I had to go on Coumadin (Warfarin). As those two drugs interact with each other I had to come off Accutane, unfortunately. When I was on it for those two months it worked wonders though!

2 Weeks In And My Results Thus Far

My acne is far from cleared up but I have noticed that the small spots come and go quickly. I'll have spots at night and by morning they are around 75% cleared up. I am still experiencing major purging in the areas that I normally get acne, but also on the corners of my nose and forehead. The cystic acne on the right side of my face and neck is clearing up gradually but there seems to be way more cystic acne sprouting up on the left side of my face and neck, which is quite uncomfortable. I can't wait to get past this part of the treatment! Is there any cleansers, toners, moisturizers, etc. that anyone would recommend? Specifically something that helps ease dryness and tones down breakouts.
Take this from someone who's 40 & has struggled with acne since 15. I swear by retin a. I did go thru a 2 week phase where I broke out terribly. Then it cleared up. I wash my face in morning with warm water only. In the eve I was with lukewarm water & on Obagi Nuderm foaming gel. 30 min after I put a small amt of.01 retin a all over face. 30 min later I put on neova night therapy. Oh in the morning I use neova day therapy SPF 30 before applying Jane Iredale loose powder. I only get 1 or 2 pimples now & then. I have used EVERY product out there. EVERY!! This has been the only thing that's remotely helped. People with acne must moisturize. The drier your skin gets the harder it works to produce oil so balance is the key. When you use acne products that dry out your skin, make sure you moisturize. Also, I take b5 in the form of pantothenic acid every day. It really helps keep acne at bay. Drink your water too. Good luck and God bless... Acne sucks no doubt.
Hello, i was wondering what amount you used for your entire face when your acne was severe? I think i have over done it, my chinn and upper neck parts are kind of irritated/burned. Some advice please, i will gladly appreciate it.
Less is definitely more with retin a. I barely use an amount the size of my pinky nail on my entire face & jaw. Something else I have been on for 2 years that I swear by is diamond herpanacine supplements. Google it. I take 5-6 every day & I never get a cystic pimple anymore only the occasional whitehead or blackhead. Got to keep your insides pure to have clear skin so watch your diet & take your vitamins . I also go about every 6 wks & get a salicylic acid chem peel or a microdermabrasion. Those help a lot. It's work to be clear but I'm guessing as long as there are hormones in my body I'll have to deal with fighting acne. I too was left with some mild pitted scarring I the cheeks. I've had several lasers to try & correct. It's better now than it was years ago but still visible in some lights. I think we're more critical of ourselves than others I know I'm terribly insecure about my skin and I'm 40. Hang in there.

6 Weeks In And My Results Are..

Well it's been a few weeks since I last updated my review and I have to say that not much has changed. I'm still breaking out on the bottom half of my face. Still have very deep cysts on my cheeks, jawline, and neck. I am still using Retin-A Micro every night because it hasn't made me overly dry. I heard about the oil cleansing method so I have started washing my face at night with a castor oil/sunflower seed oil mixture and I just wash my face with water in the morning. I noticed that since I started doing this cleansing that my dry spots from the Retin-A are not as dry and the oil on my face does not get as bad throughout the day. I just want to be done with the purging process already, but I'm going to stick with it for now.
I'm sure you've heard this, but chin acne tends to be hormonal acne, especially if they are cysts. I didn't read every comment on this thread, but if you haven't tried birth control, it could really help. I've had a lot of luck with ortho tri cyclen (or the generic) but not other kinds. Do you have any symptoms of PCOS other than acne? Just a thought!
I've struggled with acne since I was 11 years old (and I'm 24). My doctor gave me minocyclen and it has totally cleared my skin up. It took about a month but with a combo of retin-a, I'm actually excited every morning to see no gross blemishes. I would definitely try it if you haven't!
At night, should you wash your face, wait for it to dry and then apply the tretinoin/retin a followed by your moisturizer. Or can you wash, moisturize AND THEN apply tretinoin. My skin is uncomfortably dry and I really hate sitting around waiting for it to fully dry before applying tretinoin. Also, this is week 7 of therapy for me. My chin is HORRIBLE, absolutely horrible and far worse than it's every been. It's been practically peeling off and I only use tretinoin every other day. Am I doing something wrong. I try to use only a small amount. I have to admit that I have been picking at it. It's just flakey that I want to scrub or peel it all off. HELP!

Over 3 Months In.

Just a quick update. Skin is looking absolutely horrendous. I'm to the point where I don't want to go out in public and I want to call into work everyday. I have made a dermatologist appointment to see what else they can do. A little background information: I can't be on birth control to help with my hormonal acne; why? I have a history of blood clots. Back on track now.. I got to the point where it was bearable to put Retin A Micro on my face every night, but then my face started to break out in spots where I don't normally get anything like my forehead and n

3 Months In Continued.

And nose. So I started going every other day and still no change. Forever burdened by acne.
I saw several others comment about dairy/sugar, I completely agree. You will notice improvement if you get rid of dairy, in a few weeks. It will come back if you reintroduce it. Also there in an amazing organic skincare line called Eminence Organics, I love all their products, but for acne try; mineral cleanser, pear/poppyseed microdermabrasion, Hungarian herbal mud mask, and eight greens mask and moisturizer. Once you try eminence you will never want to put anything else on your face!
Try a vi peel for acne.... You may need something to get deep in your skin... I've had acne for 15 years on and off... Retin a to me personally did nothing I broke out more and they say it's your skin purging the bad acne out however it never got better for me over time. Only products that worked for me to control my acne was OTC Panoxyl face wash 10% benzoyl peroxide, morning and night. I also use clean and clear 10% cream for acne. Helps a lot for me. I just got my first vi peel for acne and so far it seems to be helping... The dermatologist never helped me. I went every week every other week, no help. I would steer clear of putting the oils on your face... Just use moisturizer for your skin type.. Also, I heard but haven't tried. That certain retin a works better than others. I hear. Vi peel has a good one I am looking into trying.
All throughout high school and college I struggled with disgusting cystic acne. I literally spend hundreds of dollars on make up, creams, cleansers, washes, oils.. everything! I was put on so many different kinds of medications from the dermo, but nothing seemed to work out. I would always be stuck with the negative side effects instead of seeing improvements with my acne. I decided that I would try the "all natural" way and let me tell you..It's amazing. I did a lot research on taking fish oil, specifically Fermented Cod Liver Oil. It was my last resort before I took the chance with Accutane. I got a bottle of the FCLO from Green Pastures. It is a tad expensive ($48 per bottle), but over the solid month that I took it I saw major improvements. My acne wasn't completely gone, but the nasty, huge cystic planets that I was getting totally improved. There was an initial purge, but this stuff really does clear everything out. I think the key is to take it every.single.day. about 1 1/2 table spoons. I like to take it at night so I don’t have to deal with the fishy burps. I’m working on my second bottle now, and I only take it when i'm on my period, or when ever I feel like a breakout is coming. I also take Wild Yam Root - from WholeFoods and Zinc every other day. You’ll find the best deal off their website. Do a little research too! They have a a lot of good information, and other products that are pretty sweet. I have the Blue Ice Beauty Balm which works wonderfully on feet, hands, skin and lips! For the Fermented Cod Liver Oil I like to get the Cinnamon tingle. Get the oil, not the capsules! I didn’t think my diet had anything to do with my acne but after I stopped (well, limited) my intake of dairy I noticed the pimples around my forehead/eyebrow region cleared right up. I hope this helps a little bit!