Breast Reconstruction After Breast Cancer Removal - Houston, TX

I was diagnosed with stage one cancer on May 23,...

I was diagnosed with stage one cancer on May 23, 2013. I was only 42 years old and as you can imagine, fear, anxiety, and my future living was weighing heavily on my mind, heart and soul. I wanted a mastectomy as soon as possible. All my doctors said not to worry, you have plenty of time. It is a slow growing cancer. You cannot tell someone who has cancer, that they have plenty of time! Dr. Schusterman understood my concerns and made my surgery happen in 4 day!!!!!!! He was heaven sent and has truly blessed my life. Each and every time I visit, I don't feel like a patient, but a friend who has utter compassion for people who go through such an ordeal. When you have cancer, you feel so alone. Dr. Schusterman and his staff helped me to understand through their kindness and nurturing, that I was not alone. My breasts look better than they did before the diagnosis. I am still wearing expanders and I am already very pleased with the outcome. I feel so confident in Dr. Schusterman. I would never use anyone else.
Houston Plastic Surgeon

Dr. Schusterman is the only plastic surgeon that I would ever use. His compassion for my situation and his genuine interest in my quality of life and self image made me feel as though I had an advocate for life. Once I was diagnosed with breast cancer, surgery was scheduled with another reputable plastic surgeon. But, God blessed me with having a second opinion with Dr. Schusterman. From the moment I sat down with him, I knew in my heart that he would take care of me and "carry" me through this cancer diagnosis. After meeting Dr. Schusterman, he felt my anxiety and fear, and knew how important it was for me to have the surgery as soon as possible. He made the surgery happen in 4 days! His workmanship is outstanding! My breasts are still in recovery after the mastectomy, but they honesty already look better than ever before. Dr. Schusterman gave me my life back. I will forever be grateful for his kindness, professionalism, and his desire to help women like me, who are faced with cancer. Sincerely, Tonya Lloyd

Thank you for sharing your story on RealSelf! I cannot imagine the emotional roller coaster you've been on lately. I'm happy to hear though that you found a PS you can trust and that you are pleased with your results. Did you have someone to help you during the first few weeks of recovery? How many cc's did you end up getting? Congratulations!

Hey Beth, I am very fortunate that I have had the same nanny for the past 8 1/2 years to help me with my 3 boys. I have 3 sons that are 5, 9, and 14 years old. My boys have been so gentle and have really stepped up to help. I teach school so I have been off the entire time. My husband has also been able to be flexible at his job and take me to all my dr. appts etc. To answer your question about cc's, After surgery, I left the hospital with 120 cc's. 2 weeks later I received 60 cc's and this past week, I received 60 more. I will go back for one more visit so that I will have a total of 300 cc's. Then I will need to wait a 1 month and allow my skin to adjust. My scars are really thinning out and looking much better. It has only been a month since surgery, but I am feeling so much better. I am walking 3-4 miles a day, I am driving short trips and I am able to have pretty much full range of motion with my arms. The dr. still wants me to not run or pick up anything heavier than a gallon of milk. I will go tomorrow to review my onca test results. This is a test that looks at 21 genes that were in my cancer. This will determine if I need Chemo. I am standing on faith that we WILL get good results tomorrow. Please say a little prayer for me.

Hi Tonya, Glad to hear you have a reliable nanny for your munchkins. I'm sure she has been a blessing the past few months for you. I can't believe your walking 3-4 miles a day...good for you. Aren't you in some fairly bad pain when you have the fills? Praying your test results were good. Either way, you sound like an amazing and strong spirited woman who will get through this. Thank you again for sharing your inspirational and helpful story. Let me know how your appointment was. Take care!