Trying out Retin-A - Mountain View, CA

After reading several reviews and blog posts...

After reading several reviews and blog posts raving about Retin-A and how you should start early to prevent wrinkles and aging, I got a tube of Obagi tretinoin 0.05%. I put my first pea-sized amount over my cheeks, chin, and forehead last night. Based on the reviews, I expected some red spots and breaking out. To my surprise, there was no irritation whatsoever, and a small patch of closed comedones on my forehead developed white heads overnight, which I concluded must be the cream starting to purge my skin.

I'm planning to start out slow, once every three days, and then slowly ramp it up to every night. I have thick, oily skin that is not very sensitive, but I'm still making sure to hydrate thoroughly after letting the tretinoin cream sink in.

I'm pretty excited to see my bumpy forehead smooth out over the next few months!

Flaking a little around my mouth and nose

I didn't have much reaction to the cream after the first use, so I applied it again after skipping just one night instead of two. I am flaking a little bit but other than that I have no irritation whatsoever.

After having used the cream 4 times (every other day), my forehead has become less bumpy

There was some major flaking around my mouth yesterday after cleansing, but I calmed it down by slathering some eye cream on it. This is most likely because I put the cream around my mouth on the second application. Later I found out that this is not recommended. Stinging ensued, and it still stings a little when I put moisturizer there.

My cheeks and forehead flaked a little, too, but not noticeably - I would just notice some flakes coming off when I applied moisturizer in the morning. My cheeks were a little bit pink, but not so much that someone would think I put on blusher or was drunk.

The good news is, the whiteheads that emerged after the first use went away, as did the bumps! The texture itself is still bumpy, but there are no bumps that I can feel with my fingers!!

Here is my routine so far:
AM:
- cleanse with Skin Medica's Purifying Foaming Wash (2% Salicylic Acid)
- dry and apply Philosophy's Time in a Bottle
- apply eye cream (Kiehl's avocado creamy eye cream)
- apply moisturizer with SPF (Kiehl's Ultra Facial Moisturizer with SPF 30)

PM:
- cleanse with Skin Medica's Purifying Foaming Wash (2% Salicylic Acid)
- dry and apply Obagi 0.05% (tretinoin cream)

Last update cut off my nighttime routine

continuing the PM routine:
- wait 10 minutes and apply Philosophy's Time in a Bottle
- apply eye cream (Kiehl's avocado creamy eye cream)
- apply nighttime moisturizer (Kiehl's Ultra Facial Cream)