Nausea, Fever and Headache After Restylane - Montreal, QC

Hi. I got restylane in my tear troughs in April...

Hi. I got restylane in my tear troughs in April witl lille to no side-effects. Then last Thursday (4months later) I had some injected in my nose to correct a a problem following a primary rhinoplasty I had in 2006. The doctor used the remaining product to refill my tear troughs. He used a total of 1 seringe. I love the results of both my eyes and nose. However the night after the procedure I got pounding headache that I could not even manage with two advil. On Saturday I had muscle aches and a slight fever. On Sunday I felt better but the headache remains, although now I can manage it by taking 2 advil every 6 hours. I donM't think I got the flu because I had the flu last week which had gone away 5 before I had the restylane injected. Unless the restylane reactivated my flu? Any insight would be appreciated. I am worried I will have to stop the restylane.

The Hyauluronic Acid is chemically modified with unknown added ingredient-CHEMICAL SENSITIVIES? "Native hyaluronan has a relatively short half-life (shown in rabbits) so various manufacturing techniques have been deployed to extend the length of the chain and stabilise the molecule for its use in medical applications. The introduction of protein based cross-links, the introduction of free-radical scavenging molecules such as sorbitol [found in fruits], and minimal stabilisation of the HA chains through chemical agents [!!!] e.g. NASHA stabilisation are all techniques that have been used. Research Due to its high biocompatibility and its common presence in the extracellular matrix of tissues, hyaluronan is gaining popularity as a biomaterial scaffold in tissue engineering research. In particular, a number of research groups have found hyaluronan's properties for tissue engineering and regenerative medicine are significantly improved with crosslinking, producing a hydrogel. This added feature allows a researcher to form a desired shape, as well as to deliver therapeutic molecules, into a host. Hyaluronan can be crosslinked by attaching thiols (trade names: Extracel, HyStem), methacrylates, [PLASTICS] and tyramines (trade name: Corgel) [Tyramine intake has also been associated with MIGRAINE] Hyaluronan can also be crosslinked directly with formaldehyde [POISON] (trade name: Hylan-A) or with divinylsulfone (trade name: Hylan-B) [SYNTHETIC RUBBER]" Wiki
I spoke to a pharmacist at Midicis Aesthetics about Restylane and Restylane-L.The only diff is the L contains Lidocaine. The ingredients are: Hyaluronic acid is generated by Strep bacteria (Restylane contains gram positive bacterial proteins) NOTE: "Hyaluronan (also called hyaluronic acid or hyaluronate or HA) is an anionic, nonsulfated glycosaminoglycan distributed widely throughout connective, epithelial, and neural tissues. It is unique among glycosaminoglycans in that it is nonsulfated, forms in the plasma membrane instead of the Golgi, and can be very large, with its molecular weight often reaching the millions.[2] One of the chief components of the extracellular matrix, hyaluronan contributes significantly to cell proliferation and migration, and may also be involved in the progression of some malignant tumors. The average 70 kg (154 lbs) person has roughly 15 grams of hyaluronan in the body, one-third of which is turned over (degraded and synthesized) every day.[3] Hyaluronic acid is also a component of the group A streptococcal extracellular capsule,[4] and is believed to play a role in virulence.[5][6]" Wiki *The Restylane L contains saline and lidocaine. Both products have the same adverse reactions, or as Medicis calls the reaction, allergic or hypersensitivity reactions, which are nausea and vomiting and headaches, and anaphylaxis (the only reactions that they state as know and expected). So basically what we are likely reacting to is either the Lidocaine or the Strep bacteria proteins, bcuz Hyaluronic acid is found in the body. The definition of a hypersensitivy reaction, which it is specified as the nausea, headaches, vomiting, according to Medicis/Restylane is: Reaction produced by the immune system, which includes allergies AND autoimmunity. It requires a pre-sensitized (immune) state of the host - So I am guessing this means since I had nausea right away with the injection, I was exposed in the past to one of the ingredients and was allergic to it before the injection, (Bacteria or lidocaine), OR that is what they want us to think...What if it causes an autoimmune disease, like gluten causes celiac disease? Consider getting allergy & antibody testing done for the gram positive strep bacteria and maybe lidocaine.
Hi, I had similar symptoms from lip i& nasiolabial fold njections, only my nausea starts right when injected EACH time I get another CC. I also get headaches real bad the day after that keep me in bed. According to the FDA, adverse reactions should be reported to Medicis Aesthetics at 1-866-222-1480 Also, please go here http://www.fda.gov/downloads/AdvisoryCommittees/CommitteesMeetingMaterials/MedicalDevices/MedicalDevicesAdvisoryCommittee/GeneralandPlasticSurgeryDevicesPanel/UCM252491.pdf and scroll to page 18/131 regarding antibody testing.
I don't know if the restylane will last a full year. However I am planning to wait a year because of budget restrictions. I've already spent 1300$ on 2 rounds of injections since April; I feel it would be foolish to spend more!

Well, first off I'm sorry to hear you were sick twice, no fun!

Here is some info you might find helpful in regards to Restylane and flu like symptoms:

Is it Possible to Have a Flu Like Immune Response to Restylane?

Restylane Made Me Miserable

How are you feeling today?

Thanks Megan! I apologize for the spelling mistakes. What I meant to write is that I had little to no side-effects the first time. The second time was pretty scary though, with the migraine and nausea. Today I am 6 days post procedure and I feel like myself again. I don't plan on giving up on the restylane just yet. It could just be that I coincidently got the flu again right after the injections. However I doubt it, especially since I had never had a migraine in my entire life before (I am 33 years old). We'll see how my next injections go next year.

Yes, it will definitely be interesting to hear what happens with your next injections - hopefully nothing, well nothing as far as feeling sick, but you know what I mean. :)

That is pretty good that the Restylane is lasting you a full year!