Consultation Done - Still Not Sure What to Do - Montreal, QC

I am 43 years old, and feel like I started looking...

I am 43 years old, and feel like I started looking older than my age in the last year or two. I have been lurking on RealSelf for some time and have really enjoyed reading everyone's stories. I have been looking for a Dr that I thought I would like to meet with and finally had my first consultation today.

The Dr. was very nice, clearly very confident in her skills (not necessarily a bad thing :)) and seemed to think I was a good candidate.

What gives me pause, is she talked about me having a mid-facelift/necklift and based on my research and desired result, I would have expected a lower facelift/necklift. I have been researching the mid-facelift (frequently referred to as a cheek lift) and am not if that is the result I am looking for. But she is the expert and I think I was clear about what I wanted addressed...so maybe that is what I need?

I am ready to book when I feel totally confident, but not sure I got what I needed today. darn.

I think I need to keep looking, reading and have a few follow up questions for this Dr. before I make the move to actually book a surgery.

Good that you are doing your resaerch now. I looked for quite a while (several years) not being certain what and if do to this. I made my decision on the doc's bedside manner, his reputation and talking with my personal care physician and dermatologist. A television anchor about my age had a facelift done by the same group with excellent results. Keep looking. You will know when you have found the right one and the right time.
Hey there, have you had a chance to go on other consultations yet?
Thanks for starting your story on RealSelf! You may also consider going on another consultation or two to see what other board certified surgeons say. It's always helpful to learn different approaches and one might click with you more than another. Please keep us posted!
Hi kdowler, I agree with the others that you should get another opinion...I believe you are too young for the midface lift. When I was 46 I had what was referred to as a mini face lift,which is the lower face. I was starting to get puppet mouth and this bothered me,however, everyone thought I was crazy as they did not see what I did. I call this preventative maintenance ... I healed very quickly and believe it or not I had no bruising, just swelling. On 3/3/14, I had browlift and midface lift..my eyes were very hooded and my face was dropping and I looked tired and sad. I am now at the end of my 8th week postop and starting into the 6th week I just started to see me again. it is an emotional roller coaster and everyone heals differently. My dr did tell me it takes approximately 4 mos before you start seeing yourself again. Doctors should tell us about the emotional rollercoaster...I got off the ride as it was preventing me from healing...you need positive thinking and Realself helps as you can relate to others going thru the same experience. From my understanding and belief as I am going thru this the midface lift has a longer healing process and your face changes....daily for me but not soon enough. We all want instant gratification...I came out looking like an Asian Buddha with dreadlocks,ostrich lips and slits for eyes...scary...like I get smacked hard with an ugly stick...not looking like that now...much,much,much better, but it takes time and you will get there even if you think you won't. so please do get that other opinion. Good luck and go in with a positive attitude.
Codiegirl, I really like your comments, "...I got off the ride as it was preventing me from healing...you need positive thinking..." You are so right that we need to care for ourselves emotionally by redirecting our thoughts and beliefs when we find ourselves getting sad or anxious. It looks like you use humor to boost your spirits; I love your description of yourself post-surgery!
Love your detail. We do not get enough, IMO. Are you going to load any before & after pictures? I am in process of creating a review for short-scar FL. Thanks again, M
I agree, you should get a second opinion from another doctor that you have researched and have reason to trust. Did you ask her about the difference between the mid and lower facelift and why she recommends the mid?
You are 43... you dont need a facelift!!!
I agree that you need to keep looking. This doctor may be right, but you're not sure, so you need to get more input. When people pose questions for the doctors on RealSelf, the answers vary quite a bit, as I'm sure you've noticed. So keep going to consultations until you find the doctor whose proposal seems the best for you based on all your research. And of course, check out their qualifications and their previous cases. Take your time; it's a big step. Good luck.
Good luck with your research.