6 Treatments and Still Not Happy - Montgomery, AL

I had 4 IPL treatments back-to-back in 2006...

I had 4 IPL treatments back-to-back in 2006 primarily for treatment of a brown spot on my cheek that is a little larger than a quarter -- but had my whole face done each session. I was 36 years old at that time. The overall texture and clarity of my skin was greatly improved, but I experienced a "bounce" in color of the brown spot that actually made it darker. The treatment itself is mildly uncomfortable and the redness and "hot" feeling usually subsided within 24 hours. The only drawback is how the areas of discoloration actually turn black and crust off in the 7-10 days after the procedure. Those are kind of hard to hide under makeup!

Undeterred, I had 2 more IPL treatments in 2010 and did see some lightening of that area and again saw an improvement in the overall appearance of my skin. The $1500 is the total I spent for all 6 sessions -- $250 each.

I am about to undergo Fraxel resurfacing to see if that will help fade this spot. I've also tried every prescription fade cream available and had it frozen twice. Hopefully this will work!

I understand that "not being happy" and...

I understand that "not being happy" and a "worth it" rating don't exactly jive!

So to clarify, I am still not happy with how the brown spot on my face didn't respond or lighten with IPL treatments, but still think the procedure is worth the cost simply for the overall improvement in skin clarity & texture. No microdermabrasion, serum, or at-home treatment can even come close to the results of IPL.

My brown spot is actually a scar from a teenage bout with impetaigo that I got from a dirty tanning bed. The infection started in a pimple I had in that location and spread all over my face. My dermatologist said I would have scars, but I didn't anticipate the scar being brown and getting larger with age. I just recently had it biopsied to make sure it wasn't cancerous because it has gotten so large, but thank goodness it was benign.

The lesson is all of this is to avoid tanning! Indoors or out, your skin will eventually pay the price.
Montgomery Plastic Surgery Associates

The Skincare center is fabulous and professional. They offer great after-care products that really work and even re-made my face after the session so I wouldn't have to drive home red-faced. Highly recommend!

I was very happy with the overall results of the Fraxel procedure . The texture and smoothness of my skin are great. I think it took several years off my overall appearance.

But if you're considering Fraxel to help remove pigmentation (like my brown spot), then I might rethink that. Even though the IPL didn't remove my spot, it did lighten it considerably more than Fraxel. The Fraxel was great to soften lines and wrinkles.

I will probably continue with IPL periodically to help keep my spot as light as possible, but would definitely consider Fraxel again in a couple of years to keep a smooth texture.
Did you have success with the Fraxel treatment?

Hi Angela5516,

Welcome to the community. I'm not sure I understand your review, you gave the procedure a "worth it," but in the title you said you were not happy. Was it because it did not lighten the spot? Please keep us updated and thanks for the review.

Thanks,