Accutane Caused Severe Depression - Alabama

While taking accutane, I experienced dry skin, dry...

While taking accutane, I experienced dry skin, dry eyes, bloody noses, and sometimes I would have slight headaches. Strangely, while I was on the drug, I felt overly happy (hyper) and carefree, which is very unlike myself. I am usually calm and sometimes stressed out about school work.

I started taking the drug when I entered high school. I took it for 6 months and then stopped, only to find that my acne reappeared several months later. My doctor prescribed the drug again. This time, he told me to take 3 pills per day for 6 months, instead of the recommended 2.

After the 6 months were over, I started to experience serious side effects. I became severely depressed for no reason, sometimes I would get angry and throw things against the wall, and I would cry for several hours. Sometimes I would pass out from crying so much. I could no longer focus on my school work and I would sometimes blame other people for the way I felt. In fact, every day for two years I wanted to kill myself. There was obviously some kind of chemical imbalance in my brain which caused me to overreact and break down.

I think that my doctor accidentally overdosed me on the drug. I am very small- I am a female and I weigh less than 100 pounds, so that may contribute to why the drug had such an impact.

It has been over 5 years since I have taken the drug and I still sometimes have crying spells, just not nearly as often. I feel that I am getting better every year, but the recovery is very slow. Accutane has definitely taken away a large chunk of my life.

Now, I still have a lot of acne on my face. My face is full of blackheads- I never used to get blackheads before I took accutane. Accutane shrunk my pores and instead of having a face filled with whiteheads, I have tons of blackheads.

Also, my eyes are more dry than they used to be. I never had any stomach problems but now I have GERDS, which I may have inherited from my mother, but it may be possible that accuntane caused me to get it at an early age.

Dr. Stanford

Overdosed me on the drug.

Be the first to comment...

Please join RealSelf or sign in.