Don't Do It. The Pain is Not Worth the Results! - Minnesota, MN

I have some stubborn fat on outer and inner thighs...

I have some stubborn fat on outer and inner thighs. After childbirth, I grew a small pouch on my abdomen, which is unnoticeable most of the time, except when I wear low jeans at which point, my muffin tops and love handles seem to flow out. When I read the description about coolsculpting being non-invasive, with minimal downtime, I thought it was worth trying out.

I never met the doctor, but I did meet up with a couple of very nice technicians, who are knowledgeable as well. They verified that my outer thighs would not benefit from the procedure, so I have the procedure done on my abdomen first, and then each of my inner thighs. CoolSculpting is painful, from the moment the big applicator was used to suck in my abdomen until now. And the pain gets worse and worse after each day. What I find most interesting is that noone talks about the pain ahead of time. Even when I asked everyone, they talked about "some people" and "minimal discomfort". But when I went in a week later to get something for the unbearable pain, they seemed to accept it as normal. The nurses got me a prescription from the doctor for Neurontin, but it is useless.

It is a week and a half now, and I am waiting for some sort of silver lining. At this point, I wouldn't even care if my abdomen gained a couple of inches as long as the pain goes away. Speaking of gaining a couple of inches, I already have. I am bloated and severe swelling on the abdomen and even below (where the applicator rested during the procedure). There is a line that marks this, and it burns terribly when I don't put ice on it. I have also had to take a few days off from work because of the intense pain. It is impossible to button my pants without wishing I could die instead. I have been wearing my maternity clothes and walking around with ice packs packed on my abdomen. This gives me slight mobility without pain, and also allows me to sleep at night. For the past week, I wake up in the middle of the night due to the shooting pain in my lower abdomen, which means that it is time to replace my ice pack. I find the whole experience very embarrassing.

Day 14: Lower abdominal pain is still devastating

It has been 2 weeks since my coolsculpting procedure and there hasn't been the slightest decrease in pain. I went to my primary care physician and he recommended increasing the dose of neurontin to 300mg twice a day (It used to be just once a day). He also prescribed vicodin and asked me to alternate between vicodin and ibuprofen for a week. He said that the best solution is to constantly ice the painful area so that the nerves can heal from the damage. He said that none of the medication (or icing the area) will eliminate the pain, but might just reduce it enough to be tolerable.
Signed a Waiver

Did not meet the doctor, but the staff performing the procedure is great. They answered all my questions, and

I concur with the comments on the pain. I had my abdomen (large applicator) done 10 days ago and still have what I consider moderate to high pain. I had liposuction (the old kind - not laser assisted) about 10 years ago to my thighs that this is much more painful. The swelling has not subsided. My only relief is Lidocaine patches. However, last week I did have my lovehandles done and have not had any pain whatsoever with that.
Samantha, has your abdominal pain subsided?
Yes... after about day 17. I can also recommend OTC Tiger patches. Helped with pain and skin sensitivity. Sometimes it now is a little itchy but I think nerves are regenerating and swelling reducing. Now just waiting for the fat cells to be eliminated from my body!
Im planning to do CoolSculpting can anyone help me? Plz tell me is it worth or not because i have a abnormal outer thighs Im pear shaped , i want to get ride of the fat that is making my structure horrible. Im 107kgs.Im planning to do CoolSculpting if it really works plz post ur comments if it is time,Money and helth waste plzzzzzz tell me i will drop my Idea on CoolSculpting Thank you Regards Princy senkopa
I am less than a month in, so dont know if it works. I paid $1000 for 3 areas. Agree large Applicator very painful ..smaller ones on ove handles very minimal discomfort. Will post again in another month.
hi
Thanks for responding. I keep getting the impression that the worst of the pain stories come from the large abdomen applicator. The smaller ones don't get as many complaints. I haven't done it yet. Still on the fence. It seems 7 out of 10 are happy they did, and that number seems higher with the small applicators. I guess I'm hoping I get lucky and I'm not one of the few in intense, horrid pain (and it does sound really miserable).
I've had several areas done, all with the smaller applicator and most areas were mildly discomforted, not horrible at all. The lower ab (with the small applicator) didn't really have any more pain, but for two days following the procedure I looked like I was pregnant. So my advice? Use the smaller applicator, even if you have to redo the area again and do it in the winter when you can wear really baggy sweaters. Oh and ice is the best for any discomfort, that plus compression wraps.
2 small
Sorry you are having that kind of pain! Hopefully in 6 more weeks you will be able to give us an update that you are now happy with the results! I'm happy with how it worked out for me.
I hope so too, Vixstew.
I had a very similar experience. I finally started feeling relief around day 16. On day 10, I ended up in the ER and had to use pain pills to help take the edge off. My primary care physician perescribed Neurontin because the physician that performed the procedure completely downplayed my pain. The Neurontin did eventually helpme. I lived 18 years with severe endometriosis, I gave birth naturally and survived a complete hysterectomy. The pain of coolsculpting is some of the worst pain I have ever experienced. It has been almost 5 weeks and I have not seen a difference. We need to spread the word that this is not a "painless" procedure. The ice helped me a great deal and I wore dresses until I could zip my pants. I too had to take off of work. Good luck...it will get better!!
I definitely agree with you, Jkat123. I find the coolsculpting pain worse than child birth, maybe because labor pains do not continue indefinitely like this one. Has your pain completely subsided now? Let me know when you start seeing results.
My pain completely subsided after 3 weeks. Hopefully results will appear soon. Today makes 5 weeks. I expect to not have results for a few more weeks.
Did you all have the large applicator or two small ones on the stomach? I'm wondering if the smaller applicators cause less pain during recovery.
I had the one large one on my lower abdomen. The smaller ones were used on my inner thighs, and that doesn't hurt at all.
Wow--so JKAT, at five weeks you're not seeing any results?
I am almost at 7 weeks and am seeing a slight result. My clothes are definitely fitting better in the ab area. I am not sure if the extreme pain was worth it at this point. A friend asked me the other day if I would recommend the procedure. I am still saying "no" when folks ask for my opinion.