Lots of discomfort after, lots of swelling and redness - Mixed Results - Glastonbury, CT

4 treatments.  Lots of discomfort after, lots...

4 treatments.  Lots of discomfort after, lots of swelling and redness, e.g. couldn't really go anywhere for at least a day, preferably a couple of days (and that's w/constant ice packs, lots of makeup).

After the flaking stage, I actually loved my skin, it looked beautiful.  However, about 9 months after my last treatment I went to Florida.  Even though I was lathered w/sunscreen and reapplied every 1/2 hours, I ended up with bad melasma typle brown areas--seem to mirror some of the laser passes in shape.  These have not gone away, even though it's been 10 months since the melasma 1st appeared.  I am leery of spending additional $$$ on fraxel, though my doctor insists that this is the cure for my melasma.

I don't think the doctor and staff spent enough time, were clear enough about the possible negative side effects...they downplayed the melasma side effect as being more common in folks w/darker skin.

Thanks for being honest about the sunscreen. You really have to think like a vampire...lol! That's how serious the sun is when doing procedures such as this and for some people it's not worth the trouble. Seriously, try the IPL Photofacials you will not regret it! If you're unsure go for one session and ask them to do it at a high level and the next day you will see the brown spots get darker and fall off! IT WORKS...truly amazing! If I start getting discolouration from fraxel I will be doing them again myself. Keep me posted.
I have had 2 treatments of fraxel of the 5 that I purchased. I have noticed improvments of 25% to my acne scarring. I have deep pores and scarring around my chin and temples from playing football, and I have to admit that my confidence is up dramatcially. The doctor mentioned to me that I am an ideal canidate due to my light skin color. I would recommend the procedure to anyone who is looking to get it done. I paid $2500 for my 5 treatments here in Salt Lake.
Glad you had good results! I had really good results too (at first) but recommend, from experience, that you get the best physical block sunscreen available and avoid the sun like crazy, so you don't get melasma...I too have light skin and was an ideal candidate, but now have brown melasma riddling my face.
Sorry I just realized that you stated you had 4 treatments and applied sun screen every 1/2 hour. So for sure every time you were in the sun you had enough sun screen applied? If you did, then it really scares me. It means that the sunscreen does not work after having fraxel, that's major! I'm going to ask my doctor about it.
In retrospect, I think maybe I was 1. sweating sunscreen off quicker than I could apply it and 2. using a chemical v. physical block-would recommend you talk to your doc about best physical block. Thanks for the info on photofacial-will def. look into that:-) I still feel that going through pain of fraxel and having to live like a vampire to keep the results is not a sufficient ROI for me, personally.
I'm so sorry to that you now have discolouration, this is one of my main concerns. I've had only one fraxel treatment, my next one is at the end of this month. Did your acne scars clear up? Was it worth it at all? How many Fraxel treatments did you have? If you've had more than 3 I would not do it again, just my opinion. A year ago, I did photo facials for sun damage and the results were amazing! My skin now is all one colour and pale without redness because of it. It's less expensive and I know for a fact it works. At the time I had 3 treatments and you can actually see the dark spots go darker and fall off in a few days! I'm not a doctor, but I'm honest and want people who have the same problems to have sucess. Even if fraxel does not turn out for me I will be truthful, but so far I'm very happy and notice a difference to some of my harsher scars, which I did not expect. Sun screen needs to be applied every 2 hours, it says so on the bottle. If people do not keep up with this I believe discolouration will for sure occur with any type of laser or harsh peel. Doctors really need to stress this to their patients. If I'm in the sun all day I wear a hat. I went from a sun worshiper to a vampire...lol! If you do the photo facials let me know how it works out for you.
I feel like i threw away $ 4,000 dollars on lazer treatments. 1 year later i ended up having surgery on my face where i had the treatments for a squamous cell carcinoma. So much for my having spent all that money for pre cancers and not for cosmetic reasons, by the way. My reasons were for health. Also the doctor did my neck and chest. I ended up with blotches that always itch and flare up, when before the treatments i didn't have any of that. Now I have to go back on Aldara cream because I still have so many areas that the fraxel didn't even help. No I wouldn't recommend this procedure to any one no matter how hard your doctor pushes it. It was so painful, so expensive and so disappointing in the results. I feel like I ended up with more problems than I started with. Your skin does look better afterwards, but later I swear my eyesight got worse, my skin looks aged, like all of the moisture was zapped out of it and I still have many cancer cells. Forget this expensive gimmick!!!!!!
I also forgot to mention that I also lost all of the hair on my eyebrows. It has never grown back. The doctor lasered over them, because i had basil cell spots there too.