Causes Fat Atrophy and Skin Sagging- Nightmare Procedure - Mississauga, ON

I had the Ultherapy procedure done in December....

I had the Ultherapy procedure done in December. The procedure was recommended to me by a surgeon who told me that it would help to reduce the buccal fat in my lower cheeks. He said one of the little known effects of Ultherapy is its ability to dissolve some fat (depending on which layers of the skin are treated). I had this procedure done and it has been the worst decision of my life. The Ultherapy caused a loss of fat and a flattening of my upper and midcheeks. My cheeks are so flat that it looks like I don't have any cheekbone definition, however my bottom cheeks are still full. The middle of my cheeks seem to be falling and I have a deep fold in my nasolabial area. Overall, the procedure has had a horrendous effect on my appearance. I feel like I look aged and drawn and my cheeks look concaved. I would advise anyone considering this to not do it

Results not better after 7 months

Seven months post Ultheraphy I have noticed an even more noticeable decrease in volume under my eyes and the area around my nose. The area of my cheeks where most of the Ultheraphy was focused on seems bigger. I'm not sure f the visual effect of a decrease in volume in the upper face or if the Ultheraphy had done something to make augment the tissue. The practitioner who did th procedure advised me that after the Ultheraphy I would need to get fillers put in my cheeks, under the eyes and in my nasolabial area. I went to a very well know cosmetic surgeon in Toronto (Dr William Middleton) who place Esthelis filler under under my eyes. The doctor felt that I needed filler only in a small area underneath my tear ducts as opposed to all the way under my eyes or in the cheek bone area. The fillers ended up pulling a lot of water, especially around the nasolabial folds and around the sides of my mouth. They did not provide any type of an esthetic improvement. Right now the area around the sides of my mouth seems augmented while rest of my cheeks look flat concaved and shallow. Overall, my whole face seems fuller at the same time that the contiur of my cheeks has flattened out
Dr. Poon

I'm scheduled for this and your post makes me pause. I'm a little confused by your comments though- it sounds lie your doctor was using the devise differently than how it was intended (perhaps at a different depth) to induce fat loss? Not at the depth normally used just for skin tightening? Not sure if I'm reading your post correctly. Would you mind clarifying?
Analei14. I have had the exact type of fat loss that you describe.It was from a botched fraxel laser procedure.I have a wide face, the bones are in place,but all the fat around my eyes and tops of cheeks and midface are destroyed.I feel and look horrible like this.
ladies, read the above and learn from it. Don't simply 'hope' that it (fat loss and other horrible effects) won't happen to you. They will. Just to varying degrees. So you may or may not notice it.
Hi there Analei14, Do you think you were predisposed to have a "flattened" facial plane in the first place? Did you have any signs of that before the Ultherapy? I read your post with interest since my situation is remarkably similar to yours, although I'm not sure I can say with confidence that the Ultherapy was the cause of fat loss. Here are the specifics: - About me and my facial characteristics before Ulthera: I'm in my early 40s; my family seems predisposed to sagging instead of wrinkling. I have high, but short cheekbones, so my face generally had a flat-ish appearance in profile. I also have a slightly weak chin. So, as of a couple of years ago (before I had Ulthera), I already had the beginning of slight hollows under my eyes, the beginning of sagging jowls, descending fat pads creating a bit of fullness on either side of my chin (with indentations on either side of my chin, emphasizing the jowls), and nasolabial folds with some fullness (descending fat) on either side. - The doctor and procedures: I went to the same doctor as you in Mississauga, over 2 years ago. I mentioned that I felt the descending fat pads were unsightly at my jowls and nasolabial folds. I didn't like the sagging. We discussed options and decided on Ultherapy, and at another point, a bit of lipodissolve in the sunken fat areas. Again, these were done over 2 years ago. During the Ulthera procedure, he did two passes on area from cheekbones down to my neck. I totally could have sworn he only did one pass over the right side (I was distracted by the zapping pain, admittedly, but he said he had done two passes. Results: I had very slight swelling that lasted maybe a week. There seemed to be some lift right away, possibly from the minor swelling. Within several weeks I started to notice my jowls looked less pronounced. Within several more weeks, the jowl/chin area looked even better. I continued to notice that my jaw was better-defined than before the procedures, and the fatty areas in the jowls and nasolabial areas were less pronounced. A few people happened to mention that I looked younger than my age (which I used to hear frequently up until 5ish years ago). But at some point I noticed that my nasolabial lines now seemed more noticeable, with slightly more "hang". Still, I was happy that the unsightly fatty pads in various areas were less puffy. In the past year, I've noticed the circles under my eyes and diagonal tear troughs have deepened. My speculation: I don't think I can blame the additional flattening and hollowing on the Ulthera. I think I'm genetically predisposed to sagging of skin/fat, which will create increasing hollows in upper areas with the passing of time. I have short cheekbones and a weak-ish chin, so the sagging effect is more pronounced. I definitely have less fat on my face; I don't know to what degree this can be attributed to the Ulthera, the lipodissolve, or natural aging. My next steps: I plan on having full Ultherapy at a downtown clinic within the next month. I also plan to have filler under the eyes and tear troughs, although I'd prefer not to have the ongoing expense, and am thinking of having fat transfers within the next few years, if/when it seems like an affordable option for me. I just hope to high heaven the next round of Ulthera doesn't cause fat loss!
I would suggest having the Ulthera only where you want less volume and not having it done in the areas where you want to increase volume.
Hi mypanama, that was exactly what I had anticipated, based on what I was told by this doctor, however what actually resulted was exactly the opposite
Hi, could you post some before and after pics?
wow, I had Ultherapy 7.5 mtnhs ago and had zero fat loss. In fact, I specifically asked my doctor if it caused facial atrophy like thermage and he said NO. My face firmed but no facial atrophy occurred. Are you sure your doc did Ulthera and not Thermage? Ulthera is not supposed to reduce buccal fat AT ALL, I think perhaps your doctor is misinformed?
Hi I know that the procedure done was with the Ulthera and not Thermage. The doctor said that fat reduction is not a commonly known effect of Ulthera but that Ulthera can cause fat to dissolve if the laser is used at a specific frequency that targets the deeper fat tissue under the skin
I agree with that. It makes sense, fat is being bypassed with energy..damage is possible. I saw pictures where fat was actually reduced with ultherapy and some doctors use it to decrease fat in certain areas. It is wrong when doctors say definitely that it doesn't cause fat loss. This is unproven at best and is still being researched. Remember, ultherapy is still a new technology in its infancy and we are all guinea pigs still
So sorry to hear about your experience :( I am in for this procedure this week and that is my worst fear. Did you have the full face done? Did it cause fat loss in the lower face where you wanted it?
The procedure was mainly focused on my lower face around my jaw line and my mid cheeks around my nose. Ironically the bottom part of my face appears to be fuller then before while the top looks flatter.
I wonder if it was collagen production that made the lower face fuller..what has your doctor said?
Hi, I have consided this as this is one of the only things that I cold think of that would cause my lower cheeks to look fuller after the procedure