Miracle Product for Those Who Think They Can't Use Retin-A

I am 27 years old and was fighting that in between...

I am 27 years old and was fighting that in between skin, you know still break out around menstral cycle and showing very early signs of aging, small lines around eyes and just overall dull appearance. I live in the HOT and HUMID South so battle with clogged, over-sized pores, blackheads, shiny, oily skin with dry patches. I suffered from pretty moderate to severe acne my whole life from early highschool through college. I have tried every product out there both OTC and RX. I developed a very tramatic obessive compulsive disorder related to my skin breakouts which caused me to obsess over the appearance of my skin and pick at it making it 100 times worse. Because of this, I have some acne scarring on the sides of my face. It has always been a hard thing for me to talk about because I am a very bubbly outgoing person and my skin was always a very sensitive, shameful subject to confront. I had been prescribed every kind of retin-a product, but never had good experiences with them. I could never get past the horrible side effects such as redness, peeling, burning, worse breaking out, dryness, tichtness - makes me cringe just thinking about it. Finally in college I became so distraught over the bad state of my skin, I was reccomended Accutane. Let me just tell you, for acne, this is a miracle drug!!! I know some people have really awful things to say about Accutane, and trust me, I had an awful experience on Accutane, I became pregnant and was required to have an early term abortion (by pill ingestion), because of the devestating birth defects Accutane causes. It was a tramatic experience, but despite that, my skin became perfectly clear and beautiful. I regained my confidence and felt I could live a normal life. I felt like I could just be ME! My face has stayed clear ever since!!! I get a few mild breakouts still mostly around my period, but now I face the aging issue. I am in sales and make my money by talking to people all day long, so my skin has always been and will always be very important to me. My derm reccomended a product called the Green Cream (level 3, 6, or 9 in strength; you can build up over time to a higher potency) I tried it way back right after I did the Accutane and remember really liking it. It was kind of expensive for a college student to keep up with so I stopped using it. I got married back in May 2011 and before the wedding I started worrying about how my skin was going to look on my wedding day. It was like everything I had been through to make my skin look prettier was built up over the years of struggling for this one moment this one most important day. I knew all eyes were going to be on me and I would have to take lots of pictures that I would have for the rest of my life. I panicked and my skin looked awful due to stress and a relapse of the OCD behaviors. Well, I stopped everything and went to a spa for a facial and some advice. I did a microdermabrasion facial (which temporarily helped get through the dullness) and was recommended Green Cream again. I started the GC immediately and have never looked back. I had been using glycolics before I started GC so I knew I could handle the level 9 immediately. I do not have particularly sensitive skin, but if you do I would suggest starting with level 3 then working up from there. Now do expect to experience mild dryness, peeling or sloughing off of skin especially around nose and lips. I use Aquaphor on my lips and sometimes around my nose before applying GC to protect these areas and to prevent sensitivity and chapping. Just apply the Aquaphor before GC. The GC is gel-like so it tends to deliver to the skin a little more gently than a cream. Also, it contains aloe vera with is very soothing and helps reduce the redness. One of the things that makes this product so amazing is its delivery system. The derm who created this miracle cream was very knowledgable on retin a and how it works to best maintain its integrity and strength (she's a local derm - very proud!) Anyway, the container of the product is completely sealed and oxygen proof in the way that it is dispensed from the container. NO LIGHT or AIR can get into the container which keeps the retin a pure and at full strength. If retin a is exposed to light or air it immediatley begins to break down and lose its potency and effectiveness. Needless to say, after about a month and half of using the GC, my skin for the wedding was absolutely flawless. The make up artist barely had to use any make up on me. You would never have known I had fought horrible acne and scarring my entire life. Recently, around Christmas I went with a few a gfs to get a retin a facial (also amazing but only if you have been using retin a regularly). At this time, I was using GC one night, then mixing in a moisturizer the next night and alternating like that (I use Cerave moisturizer - awesome!!! very mild, no scent, and absorbs flawlessly) I did this trying to avoid any peeling or over-drying (I also sometimes use Aquaphor to protect my lips or around my nostrils to prevent sensitivity and chapping -this works very well; just make sure you apply before the GC). The lady who gave me my facial told me that if I use GC every night instead of mixing the moisturizer I would not even have to use moisturizer ever - I found out that this is very true. Also, she said that retin a is the best thing for sround the eyes. Retin a travels on your skin so you can put right under your eye brow and it will seep down and you can put it about one inch under the eye and it will seep upwards. You do not have to apply close to the eye. She also let me know that the GC manufacturer had changed and there were rumors of a formula change (if anyone has details of this let me know...) - I haven't had any issues with it, but bc the GC lasts me so long I may have the old product still. She told me about a newer product develped by the same derm that created the GC. It is is called DermAware and is supposed to be a "better" version of the GC. It has skin-plumping peptides (though no aloe, but does have green tea). Anyway, I love it! I am currently alternating the GC and DermAware (Vital Retinol Gel Extra Strong) every other night and my skin is literally glowing. I virtually have no pores. No blackheads! And no breakouts even around my period. And if I do get the tiniest little bump it sloughs off in a day. My scarring is almost completely gone. I have spent a small fortune in the past on the best most expensive foundations out there in an effort to cover my skin problems (I even invested in an airbrush make up system, which I do love and does cover up skin blemishes and uneven tone very naturally), well, now I have no need for make up at all. I only wear a little Laura Mercier tinited moisturizer in Sand just to have a little more refined look for work and going out. Make up has become so much more fun now that I have a smooth, even canvas to work with. I now use make up to enhance my features and not cover up skin problems. I feel so free from the constraints of my skin issues. I used to never leave the house without make up and sometimes it would literally take me hours applying make up and performing skin rituals. Now I wash and go (okay well I am a make up kind of girl so maybe a little eyelash curl and mascara)!!!All the ladies at work ask me what my secret is to my flawless, healthly, radiant skin (I of course share with them). It is still so weird for me to not have to worry about my skin and to have all this positive attention on the one thing that caused me such insecurity and pain over all these years. I know it sounds so vain, but your skin and your face is the first thing people see. It is an outward reflection of you and having beautiful skin allows you to look people in the eye and confidently be who you truly are! I no londer have dry patches or get shiny halfway through the day. My skin is so regulated it is amazing. I do use St. Ives Green Tea scrub every other night or so sometimes in morning. I use baby wask to remove my eye make up (have not found anything that has worked so well and I am a product junkie) For all those people out there who are discouraged by retin a products due to past experiences or because of bad things you have heard, please give this a try. It is gentle yet so effective and truly works miracles. It has seriously changed my life forever! Please let me know if you have any questions or comments! NOTE: you will not find any bad skin photos of me bc I never was strong enough to take them - sorry! (and excuse spelling and gramatical errors as I was so enthusiastics when writing this)

Pls where can one buy the GC from?
You can buy from amazon. If you have sensitive skin start w level 3. If not 6 is fine and work your way up to 9. It's about $48 but last about 3 months. Don't forget to use sparingly. Good luck!!!

I want to order the green cream, I really identify with your story. Is it safe to use while doing salicylic peels? And is Green Cream a moisturizer or do you need one in addition.

I use mine after I use salicylic toner. I don't see why not. But know it could cause some sloughing of skin. Maybe just be careful. GC is not a moisturizer but makes skin so supple after a while that you hardly need one. Get a moisturizer w peptides like the Dermaware Perfect Fit. And a good eye cream like DW Eye C Eye. Use after the GC is soaked in like 10 mins after.
Hi Lilcloclo! Thank you soooooo much for sharing your story. I can relate to many many parts of it. I am 26 yrs old and have been struggling with breakouts for the past year or so after having relatively perfect skin before :(. Is it possible for you to tell us girls exactly what your routine is every morning and night?? The products that you use and order in which you use them? I am about to start using the Green Cream and your response would be GREATLY appreciated. Thank you!!!
So i read the whole thing, i'm 14 (Guy) and i am currently using proactiv and it's the only thing that has decreased my acne but i still have acne. So what i wanted you to tell me is what your skincare regimen. Like you said that you use the green cream then derma wear and then the vital retinol gel so i didn't understand that do you still use the green cream or you switched to derma wear and vital retinol if you still use those 3 products can you tell me how many times a day do you wear them, if you wear any of them every other day etc. Please reply i am dealing with acne and i hate it because i am just like you bubbly, happy etc. & i can relate my skin to yous large pores acne and all of the things you stated about also can you give me the link to the website on where you can buy these, i have also never used retin-a so do you recommed these products.
Hi lilcloclo, is there any sunblock/sunscreen brand that u would recommend? I'm using retin-A at night as well. I can't seem to find a right sunblock that suits my skin, i usually get new acne by night or next day.
Sorry for confusion... Gc is actually a retinol which has fewer side effects than retin-a. I just meant in my headline that retinol is another option for ppl who have had a hard time w retin-a. Retinol products are a derivative of retin-a with gentler effects and some say arguable less effective bc it is not a biologically potent. Both GC and DW are great for blackheads and breakouts. I was face with gentle cleanser most of time baby wash. I use a sacyllic acid like biore after. Wait about 10mins then apply either GC or Dermaware. I alternate either every other day or week with product but you don't have to. I also do use a Dr. Brandt eye cream heavy at night. I am now using a BB cream instead of foundation very light and glowing!
Hi! Loved your story but I got confused because you would switch between the words Retin-a and Green Cream. So, I can't tell if you use Retin-A or GC, or if GC is a branch of Retin-A. Sorry I'm a horrible reader! Also, was hoping if you could break it down into simpler words what your daily skin cleansing ritual is. I suffer from mostly blackheads, and occasional pimples. Is GC good for blackheads?
I have been on accutane 3 times. I thought my face would break out when I first started, but the derm put me on a low dose. Within a week I was getting compliments on my skin. I seriously have tried everything before going on accutane. When I was finished with accutane I was clear for years before my acne came back. This last time they only have is generic which worked just as well. Except you have to go through this IPledge and answer questions. Some people get pregnant on accutane which is why it makes it so hard for people to get this drug. They ruined it for people like me that don't want children. So you now have to take pregnancy test 2 before you start than every month. Sucks if you don't have good insurance. I would recommend accutane to anyone. Just make sure to carry Vaseline around for your lips. They get dry. Good Luck.
I just wanted to say that you only need a pee sized amount of either of these products. They are a little hard to blend but they travel so don't worry if you don't get every single spot. I usually use a 1/4 of a pee in forehead 1/4 size on left side face 1/4 on right side and 1/4 size in middle. It works better than doing the full
Amount all at once. Easier to spread if you split the areas up.

And just to update: ran out of product and got to busy to order more. Skin went a little bizerk. Finally started back up on GC and skin looking great again. Also drinking lots of water and do a 530am boot camp program in mornings is helping keep my glowing healthy complexion. Happy summer!!!
Jean- I do realize that there are definitely more powerful and full strength treatments out there esp RX ones. But the point of my post is exactly what the title says. It is a suggestion for those ppl who have tried retin-a and the alike products with poor results or experience such as painfully dry cracked peeling skin, worse breakouts, irritation etc. the GC and Dermaware worked great for me bc these products are gentler and have spa-like ingredients that are good for your skin and help keep the irritation at bay. The other ingredients also have added anti-aging effects. They ate not solely for cell turnover and exfoliation like the RX ones.
My experience is Green cream is not going to produce dramatic results. I used green cream for a year and I really don't think I saw any difference. So maybe it held off the aging process a little - maybe - but that's it.
I know everyones body reacts diffenrently to Retin a but for me it works wonders. Like many of you Ive been struggling with moderate acne for years, just recently It got really bad to the point where i wouldnt leave the house without make up. My doctor recommended Duac along with Retin a, although ive only been using them for about 2 weeks, my skin looks better than it ever has. I have lots of acne scars but the Retin a is really helping them fade away while the Duac prevents breakouts n gets rids of the old ones. I experienced lots of peeling the first couple of days but I exfoliate about 2 to 3 times a weeks and thats helps alot. Retin a also helps with wrinkles and bags under my eyes. I for one love the product
Hi, y'all! Sorry I haven't been on in a while. And thank you for the compliments!!! As for acne I think the DW is more specifically targeted for that. I noticed the GC helps more with aging and radiance.

Navy - definitely start taking care of those wrinkles now. I actually have same issue. I think the GC is very effective but certainly wear sunscreen there to help. Also try hard not to make the wrinkles crease by avoiding raising your eyebrows. A round of Botox may help you not crease that area but honestly I wouldn't go there yet bc you have to maintain it. And it is expensive. You can order both products online from Earthsavers. I'm sure it's available other websites as well.
You really are beautiful. And I hope you KNOW that! :)
I'm also in the same boat as fielding. But I'm a 20 year old male with forehead wrinkles, they aren't noticeable if I don't raise my eyebrows, but I wanted to know if they work with forehead wrinkles as well. Might as well fix it early on. Start taking car of my skin.
So do you feel like the Dermaware and GC fight wrinkles? I'm 38 with forehead wrinkles, and wondered if this would work for me? You look beautiful btw;-)
Where will I get the GC cream for acne scars pls let me know asap india mumbai
Hello! I loved your story just because I related to it and it's very much like mine. Except that I am 24 and haven't ever used any form of invasive skin product like Retin-A. I was on antibiotics for 3 months because I only break out around my period; it worked for a good six months but has stopped working ever since. I have mild scarring and still break out even more harshly around my period. I also eat a lot of chocolate(!)around that time which I think contributes to the problem, what do you think?
Anyway, I'm writing this to ask you if you recommend me using either GC or DermAware, or something else (Accutance isn't an option, I'm too scared!)
I appreciate any suggestions/recommendations. Thanks!
you could try a mild version of accutane. I did that with my doctor is is a lot more mild and she said I can even take it every second day if I want it even more mild I think it was isotretinoin. I did take accutane when I was much much younger and it worked but yes there were a lot more side effects-I had suuuuuch dry skin. my skin is fine on the mild one I am on now. This green cream sounds good though! I might give that a go

Wow, it sounds like it lasts quite a long time! I have to agree with your Mom. It does always seem the time you bend that rule & run out of the house looking a mess is when you run into people! Lucky for both of us we are at least comfortable without all the face make-up when a quick run to the store is needed. Isn't is a GREAT change?!!!

Hi, Megan! I got your private message as well. Thank you so much for the warm welcome and I am looking forward to using the site and reading up on all of your reviews!

I truly believe in healthy skin and taking care of your appearance (My mom always told me I should take care in how I present myself because you never know who you will run into or meet... future husband or boss? ). I love sharing my experiences especially when they are successes. And geez I feel like I have bought and tried everything out there. I have been considering botox on my forehead, so I am looking forward to reading your review on that.

As you know with Retin-A, a little goes a long way. One container usually last me 3-4 months when I use the little squirt. But because my skin has built up a better tolerence for it, I have been using a little more, which makes it a little easier to spread out all over my face too. That was another reason I used to mix it with moisturizer because it made it easier to spread. Now, I am thinking it may last me 2 months.

Oh girl, we have similar stories - I've always fought mild acne...now the fine lines, ugh. Thanks for sharing about this alternative product. I'm sure many people who can't tolerate Retin-A will appreciate hearing about this!

Do you mind me asking about how long a container of it lasts?

P.S. Made me smile when you mentioned all you wear is a bit of Laura tinted moisturizer. I was a Laura girl for years! However, that was still when I used the tinted stuff as an "undercoat"...sounds like you know that routine all too well.