PRK After 20+ Years of Glasses! - Minneapolis, MN

I wore glasses starting in first grade. Well, I...

I wore glasses starting in first grade. Well, I was prescribed them in first grade but didn't wear them for a year. Finally got contacts at age 20! They always felt so dry though, and I would take them out as soon as I got home.
I wanted lasik for a few years but always had a fear that I would go blind. Like that Simpsons episode that takes place in the future and Flanders is blind due to basil, lol! Anyway. I finally decided to take the plunge and got a consultation. I don't recall exactly why they recommended PRK instead of Lasik.
I worked in schools at the time so felt winter break was a good time to sleep for a few days, as that is all you can do! The surgery itself was very quick, like a minute each eye. It was uncomfortable for sure, but not painful. And the smell... that was unexpected. A faint burning smell.
My roommate picked me up, brought me to get my assortment of eye drops, and I think I slept 20 hours per day for 3 days. I got very good at putting drops in my eyes, and the Tylenol with codeine was wonderful at keeping any pain away. I wore some sweet sunglasses as I slept too, to protect my eyes. I wore them out for a few hours too on New Year's Eve, meeting friends for dinner. I was fashionable. :)
My eyesight is now 20/20, and I have no issues at all other than dry eyes in the mornings in winter. Normal eye drops resolve that.
Definitely wish I would have done this years ago... as long as I don't turn out like Ned Flanders! Lol!
I am scheduled for my PRK surgery in exactly 36hours. As it draws closer I am having some anxiety. Reading your review has definitely helped. I have worn glasses since I was in 4th grade and I am now 45 yrs old. My husband is extremely worried of me being blinded by the surgery so I am trying to pretend confidence to lesson his worry. So thank you for your Review, I am sure I am going to be as pleased as you are.
How was your vision 4 days after surgery? Could you work on a computer? I ask because I have to be back at work 4 days after my PRK procedure. Thanks in advance.
I could look at a computer for very brief periods of time, like a few minutes, then would need to take a break for a few minutes.