Upper blephoroplasty & endoscopic brow lift

I had a endoscopic brow lift and upper...

I had a endoscopic brow lift and upper blepharoplasty 5 days ago. I'm pleased by the results so far, but still a little nervous.

The Good: At only 5 day post-op, I'm pretty sure I'm going to look great. The day after surgery, in spite of swelling, I could tell my eyes are more open and not so weighted down. And you can actually see my eyelids! - No more Sam Donaldson eyes. My brows are in a slightly lifted but natural position. I only took prescription pain meds the first 2 nights; on nights 3 & 4 I took 2 Tylenol. My bruising hasn't been too bad either; I actually went in public today (with sunglasses), but then afterwards noticed my yellowish cheeks - oops.

The Bad: The first night was NOT GOOD. I was very nauseous and couldn't keep anything down, including pain meds, so it just felt like the QUEEN MOTHER OF ALL HANGOVERS. I got Odansetron the next morning; then I was good. I'm a little miffed by this; I had another surgery several years ago where an anti-nausea drug was added to the anesthetic, and it worked like a charm. About 1/3 of my forehead and most of my crown is still numb, but I'm pretty sure that will recover just fine. My forehead feels tight, but I'm sure that will come back too.
Concerns: Besides waiting for the numbness and tightness to subside, I'd say only one remaining concern. I'm 56 and have had some hair loss over the last couple of years. No one would say my hair is thin - but I hope I don't lose any more!

11 days post-op - Out and about

I had my eyelid sutures out on day 6, and my eyelids are looking great. The ends of the scars are visible at the outer edge, but they can be covered with makeup. However, since I'm a minimal makeup kind of person, I can't wait until they fade more. I've been out and about with makeup and glasses, and I feel totally confident that no one can see the scars.

Regarding the brow lift: the tightness of my forehead and numbness of my crown are still there, and could be there for 6 months, I'm told. They're subsiding though, so I don't consider them a big concern. Some people complain a lot about itching; I've only had a minimal amount of that. I'm still hanging around the house a lot though, because my head staples are still in, and I don't need anyone to see the sunlight glinting off of them. Or have the wind blow my hair just *so*. They come out in 2 days (the 13 day point). Hallelujah!

Would I consider the bleph and brow lift worth it? The bleph seems like an easy and completely worth it undertaking - almost a no-brainer, in hindsight. It was also covered by insurance, so it didn't cost much (although I included the total price in my cost of procedure that accompanies this review). The brow lift has more considerations - it constituted about 80% of the price and the recovery issues - pain, tightness, numbness, and possible hair loss (although I haven't experienced any yet). Still, I look 10 years younger and completely natural (my best friend concurs), so at this point, I'm happy I did it.

3 week update

I'm really pleased with the blepharoplasty. My eyes look and feel more open - I can see better! There are still tiny pink lines where the scars are - easily covered up by makeup. I've been out with friends and family - and no one has noticed the scars. I'm sure they will fade more.

NOT so pleased with the brow lift. In my case, I probably shouldn't have done it. I really was doing it more to open up my eyes, not eliminate wrinkles. My eyes ARE more open, but a lot of that is due to the blepharoplasty. I feel that by the time everything settles down, my brows will be back to where they started.

But the worst part is - I have moderately thin hair, and I lost substantial hair around one of the incisions and a moderate amount of hair around another incision. The "bad" incision has a bald spot about 1/2" wide and 1-1/4" long. Luckily, I can hide it and glue it down with hairspray, but I'm concerned about the wind blowing my hair. I REALLY, REALLY hope it grows back.

Not worth it

I'm 5 weeks out. I'd say the blepharoplasty was worth it, and I'd say that even if my insurance HADN'T covered it. But the brow lift was NOT worth it. My brows are maybe a millimeter above where they were before, and now I have two large bald spots at the front of my head that are a styling problem and a constant worry. I'll have to see if hair grows back, but they are quite ugly scars right now.
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Dr. Christensen is great! She makes you feel comfortable, takes all the time you need, answers all your questions. She's meticulous in her work. She and her staff are professional about everything they do.