Head Crushed by Car - Milwaukee, WI

Since my surgery came as a result of an accident,...

Since my surgery came as a result of an accident, it was something that needed to be done quickly. My skull was very badly fractured in multiple locations, so there needed to be some tricky work done in order to rebuild my damaged skull.
Initially there were two major surgeries that Dr. Pawar needed to do, however due to my unexpected recovery from the first surgery, the second surgery was cancelled.
The first surgery involved putting plates below my right orbital socket, in order to prevent noticeable scarring, Dr. Pawar performed the surgery from inside of my mouth.
The second surgery would have also been a facial reconstructive surgery with two goals in mind. The first one was to repair the skull where CSF fluid may have been leaking, and the second goal was to repair the top of the right orbital socket, which due to a break is holding my right eye down a little bit, causing double vision. Due to the unexpected ceasing of the CSF leak, the surgery was ultimately cancelled, and we decided that it would be best to repair the double vision using prism lenses rather than breaking open my skull, and working around the brain.
Milwaukee Facial Plastic Surgeon

Dr. Pawar was always very friendly, and enthusiastic when it came to my surgery, and recovery. He would often check on the status of my health, and would personally update me via phone, about future things that needed to be done, especially in regard to a CSF leak that I had acquired, as a result of my accident. He was also very informative, and clear when discussing the status of my health, as well as the extent of my injuries, and the exact procedures that he would need to do. There were no surprises with the work that he did, because he would make sure that everyone involved understood the nature of the procedure that he needed to do, as well as the nature of the procedure that we had planned to do, but surprisingly did not need to. He was very detailed, very respectful, and very enthusiastic when it came to my recovery. I would also like to add that due to the distance that I needed to travel to get to his office, I would often arrive much earlier than anticipated, however I never had to wait long in his office, even if I had arrived 30 minutes (or more) early to my appointment. I was also pleased with the fact that Dr. Pawar was very open to my opinions on how we should go about repairing the CSF leak that I had, as well as whether or not to repair my right orbital socket. It is very nice to have a doctor who talks to his patients at their level, rather than a doctor who flaunts his intelligence. I believe that Dr. Pawar treats his patients like they are his friends, in my case he was very interested in my future, and he did whatever he could to make sure my life was back on track as soon as possible. I would highly recommend this doctor to anyone who needs the medical services that he provides.

PS I think the prism lenses were an excellent solution. I wish more people knew about this "simple" remedy for double vision, that is safe and non-invasive. How I love that Dr Pawar assisted YOU to make the decisions. He could so easily slant impressions to a patient in order to "create business", which is an unfortunate misconception I hear far too frequently from patients. You MUST have trust that your surgeon gave years and years and YEARS to learn the skills needed to achieve what someone like Dr Pawar did. NO ONE gives of themselves in this manner for the power and for the money. It is a God-given gift, given to so few, and providing blessings for so many.
Congratulations! Having this kind of trauma is so terrifying, I can barely imagine your fear. And then to have an "angel" with skill, artistry, vision, talent, knowledge, and respect give you what you had lost, the return of yourself, must be a gift beyond measure. Thank you for sharing your story. I have worked in traumatic brain injury for decades and my dgtr is a trauma surgeon (NOT a PS, like your Dr Pawar)...we have seen the losses and understand to as much a degree as is possible without living through what you had to....you are wonderful to post and it is good to know such a talented surgeon is out there, just "doing his job" in a manner that most of us have NO concept in recognizing. What talent. What a blessing for you, Irwin. Best wishes always!
Irwin, thank you for sharing your story. What an experience! I'm so glad to hear you're okay.

How are you doing now? Do you have any more surgeries that need to be done?