Lip lift done by Dr Joe Niamtu - Midlothian, VA

The alarm went off at 2:30 am. I grabbed my bag...

The alarm went off at 2:30 am. I grabbed my bag and in less than 30 min I was driving on route 95S in hope that there won"t be too much traffic. I have never drove before to Virginia. I made my coffee last night and I am drinking it just cold. I'm not even tired. My bag has just an extra shoes and a jogging suit for comfort. The rest of the bag is full of questions : " why Dr Niamtu?" "why didn't I got few other opinions?" "why is him not in Real Self?" "what if I won't be satisfy with the result?" "why....why...why..?" The delivery truch just passed so closed to my car shaking me so bad, waking my up like. Gosh, I must pay attention to the road. Over 10 hours, 4 coffees, and good lunch at gorgeous dinner, I arrived in Virginia. I checked in at Hampton hotel on 800 Research Rd. This looks and feels soo cozy. My room is calling me. I felt so home there :-]. I had time for a shower and put the office address on my GPS. Wow only 7 min. I spent few min outside the office admiring the building . It was build with love. I can not wait to meet Ginger. I only emailed her couple of times and felt how special she is. The waiting time was just 8 min. I am invitated in a beautiful office to been interviewed on what procedures I'm interested at this time. From time to time my mind just think how beautiful and delicate Ginger is. The doctor came through the door. We only spent that day like 10 min. There is no rush but I was not sure how many procedures I need/want. It is impossible not to remark the passion he put on everything, and more impossible not to fall in love with his kindness. I left the office flying. I saw those people today for the first time and they made me feel like I was an old good friend. My surgery is 8:45 tomorrow. .
(Edit failure on last comment.) Why did you decide that Dr. Niamtu was the surgeon for you? What is his technique? Does he involve the muscle, or do skin-only lip lifts? How much does he anticipate removing? What price did he quote you? Thanks for the pre-review; we're looking forward to following your progress!
Please post some before pictures. Also, why did you decide that Dr. Niamt

I'm on my 4th day

Feeling excelent
Oh I forgot to ask you if you had anything else done besides the liplift?
Lip lift, brow lift, blephaeoplasty, lower lid laserwd CO2, and ear lobes repaired. Al in the same time , last Wednesday on the 21.
ZIZI, YOU are beautiful and you look beautiful. I am amazed at how great you look already without any distorted swelling!! I am so happy for you.

Adios Restilane and Silikon, I got my gorgeous permanent lips

new pics. 5th day. stickies out
Do you have a close-up, front-facing picture of your nose-to-lip ratio that you can post, please?
I thought I post one pic that will be front taken but I will post one real close. I started with 19 mm and now I'm 14 mm
Hey, Zizi, how swollen/stiff is your upper lip? And how long until you can put makeup over the healing incision?

Very pretty, congratulation! Love all the pretty lip colors. Does Dr. Niamtu offer laser as an option for the scarring if you want it? Look forward to seeing your progress. Thanks for sharing. Blessings.
Ville you are a sweetheart, thanks. Yes, if you go on YouTube Dr Niamtu has a video where has a man, I guess having the laser done under the nose. I still can not believe how I found my doctor. I am so happy. Today is day 7th and all the swelling is gone. My lips look cute , not over done, just normal size.
Sorry, I should have been clearer: I mean a front-facing Before picture, so we could compare. Apologies for any confusion.

7th day who who

I wish I could say I feel better, but I can't cuz all this time , i felt.....wait for it....AWESOME.I am full of energy and if the first few days I pampered myself, today I could died without going outside. After washing my hair, applied little to almost no make-up, I did apply a lot of the cream from the doctor office, with spf 30 to protect my under eyes aria. I loved spending extra moments in front of the mirror today seeing less bruises and hardly avoided to be harsh and judgmental of what I saw..This is really not the time to be hard on yourself. Just say : " I am a beautiful woman. and will always be" Please say it loudly. ..... Doesn't feel better? It does. When you will believe that you are beautiful, so all those around you will, too.
your scar looks amazing! I'm having this done in 7 days so hope the scar and upper lip fullness are as great as yours! know you're so pleased, you should be :)
EEJ if can only know how happy I am for you to get your lips done. You'll love your new lips. I am sure. I pray that your recovery will be as smooth as mine. Do you cut muscle too or just skin? I only had skin removed. Please start a review. Who did you decided to go to? Good luck to you and can't wait to see you happy :-]
Thank you for the encouragement. I am going to share my journey because all of you other ladies have been so much help and encouragement for me. Did you have any filler put in your lip? Your fullness is really natural and so attractive. Hope the healing is going well for your other procedures. Please show us the results when everything settles down. I know you are going to be gorgeous...you were already!

About three weeks ago...

About three weeks ago I drove 8 hours to Virginia to met Dr Niamtu anxious to get a lip lift , eye lid tucked , and ear lobes repaired. We have decided that I will benefit from a browlift too and than we planed to add a CO2 laser on my lower lids. I left the office with the strong feeling that Dr Niamtu is not one of those doctors that you meet, give him the money, cross your fingers an hope for the best. He's practicing only facial procedures , for over 20 years. His agenda is impressive and the results ....I will let you judge my pics. Watching on YouTube his videos and reading his blog, I could feel his passion for what he does and the love for his family, patients and employees. So on the 20 of august I was driving from NY, and let me tell you that traveling for surgery is confusing especially if you hare not familiar with that area. To Dr Niamtu office you can fly, take the train, driving your car or a rental. If you don"t drive, you can tae a taxi or better hire Katy and arrange with her to pick you up and care for you po. Dr Niamtu office is close to everything . Walking distance to renovated pharmacy and a Diner , and about 7 min drive to few hotels. I myself stayed at Hampton Inn for 4129/night. It worth it every cent. Swimming pool, gym, coffee station, free breakfast, parking, cozy, quiet, ice machine......... love it. The area is full of malls, fast food restaurants, pharmacies and anything you need to make your stay restfulness. Just don"t forget your credit cared at home ). Driving from NY cost me about $80 in tolls and $150 in gas. For my next visit I will prefer to hire Katy so I wont need to deal with driving.
The office of Dr Niamtu is elegantly furnished and the girls that works there are making that place so welcoming. I loved every single girl there but I can tell you that Ginger, the patient coordinator, made my experience unforgettable. She is so experienced, and at some point I was wondering if she can read minds because she knew what I would like even without expressing. I would like you to know that after hearing your original quote for surgery be prepare to spend a lot more for traveling, hotel, food, medication, nurse, anesthesia and anything in between. What made me happy dealing with this office was the fact that every time I sent an email, either to the doctor or to the girls , I got a response immediately. In order to start the trust in your surgeon you must have great communication with him/her. Make sure you both vision the same result. The final result is what matter the most.
Now I would like to enumerate few thinks that I have learned and want to passed to you:

1) please make sure you need a surgery more than you want. Don't do a surgery if you eel vulnerable or sensitive about someone (ex you just ended a relationship/marriage, a girlfriend just ha a surgery and she look better than you do, the surgery will change your life or you believe will help you obtain a better job,) Whatever surgery you aim to get be reasonable in expectations.
2)The more serious surgery it is the more prepare you should be. Invest few hundred dollars to hire a professional nurse to drive you back home and stay with you in case you don't feel good, plus she will bring a handful tips .
3)Make sure you got enough money. Reading reviews here , only few stressed that aspect. I am saying this because i money will be one of your problem while recovering you will want to shorten the recovery time and it will affect you. After finding out what your surgery cost, ask if that include anesthesia. Than add for meals, medications, hotel, airfares, nurse. Don't be unprepared .
4)Make sure your chosen surgeon have experience/board certified and most importantly you have a great communication with him, not only with his staff If he doesn't have time to answer to your questions before surgery what chances are to find him available after? We humans have instincts. Use it. If there is something that doesn't feel right change your surgeon.
5)It will be a good idea to write down the reasons that made you decided to get this surgery. Consult at least 3 surgeons or sent them emails. The one that will point out same concerns and suggest the solution to your problem and coincide with what you thought, that helps you to make a easier decision. Also take lots of pictures and try to document your recovery.
6)Prepare your meals and plan your diet in advance. Avoid salt to eliminate excessive swelling that can promote popping out prematurely stitches that are melting on their own. also eat a lot of protein to avoid loosing a lot of hair after surgery.
7) Be prepared to take 3 weeks to a month off from work (add this time off to your expenses) If anyone is telling you that in 2 weeks after a facelift, full face laser , or extensive tummy-tuck is telling you a lie. I'm 3 weeks po and i am not fully healed. Also take in consideration that everyone heals differently
8)Do not tell to all your FB friends that you will have a surgery. People, for whatever reasons, including jealousy, can come up with 1001 reasons why you should not get this surgery. You might end up more confused than you are already. Choose wisely who you decide to tell to. Not everyone is pro-surgery.
9)Prepare comfortable clothes to wear. Sometimes an extra pillow can make your recovery extra softer .
10)make in advance a list with what you need for the 3 weeks recovery, and never over buy. Not everyone have a large family or sportive friends and all you have is YOU. Don't get discourage, you have enough. You have GOD. You are God preferred child and he will give you the ability to take care of yourself. Keep in touch with women here in RS for moral support Say a prayer and smile.
11)If you travel for your surgery it will be good to leave back home right after surgery or stay there at least 12 days. Right after surgery you will feel pretty good, but rom day 3 to 10th day your look change and worsen.
12) Every doctor will have his/her own recommendation po. Follow that
13) Drink plenty of water/ juice.(i love pineapple juice), avoid salt
14) After surgery , the first month is more important how you eel than how you look. Avoid infection, take your antibiotic .If you feel bad contact your surgeon, if you feel good, relax. Watch a movie, or read. Keep your head elevated above your hearth Apply ointments and ice by your doctor order. Do not pick on incisions.
15) Rest. Do not rush to go out in public to early even you feel good and pretty . Tomorrow you will regret.
16) Don't loo in the mirror every 5 min even if you die to. The recovery is tricky and you will go from I love it to "I hate it" faster than Maserati "0 to 60" Your recovery will seem slooooooower.
17)Less is more . The less you do to speed your recovery the more chances your body get to heal at it peace. There is no miracle pill to heal you faster.
18) Back to work. You secretly are waiting for a compliment or a comment from colleagues/friends regard your new look. Wrong. You can easily get disappointed because people don't react the way you want it. They might have bad time and their minds are not aware of any change. Some people do not even care when others change something. Whatever it is, go on with your life. Be happy and keep being beautiful inside as beautiful you are outside.
19) Not everyone is satisfied with the outcome from a surgery. If you have had a facelift , I suggest you , after recovery, to change your hair color and style, buy some make-up, or go to a department store and let the professionals to do your make-up and teach you how to o it at home. Get inspired by reading fashion magazines, anything to make you feel better about your new loo. DO NOT ISOLATE YOURSELF FROM OTHERS.
20) There are no guaranties. The results, after surgery, are stupidly unpredictable. Even the best surgeon can not predict your exact result , less your satisfaction. We are our worst critics, and even when we look good , we find something to complain about it. Make sure you have realistic expectations. If you paint just a wall of your room, that room will look different not necessarily renovated.
21) Alcohol. Eheheeeeeeh , i heard you girlfriend . I do too love uncle "Johny" and i "Absolute" adore every single shade of that "Grey Goose" but during recovery is not a good idea to consume any alcohol that can interact with any of your medication. I better be sober than sorry.

And a final thought. You don't need anyone to tell you that you are beautiful because deep down on your heart you know that you are GORGEOUS.
hi Zizi you look great. How are you finding the healing of the scar under the nose? can you cover it with makeup? I'm considering a lip lift.
Mcar, nice hearing from you. I do recommend the lip lift with all my heart. I will post a new pic for you Mcat so you can see how invisible is the scar. The most I love about my PS method is that he cut the skin close to the nose following the natural line leaving an almost undetectable scar. I did have one stich pop out earlier in one side of my nose but other then that it looks amazing . The technique if cutting is important
great. thanks zizi!

I wanted to add

just few more pics with before and after. In the before pics the base of nose was clearly wider , but in the after there is a significant improvement not just for the lip but the contouring of the base of my nose. I definitely recommend this procedure to any one looking to save in long shot money. While the injections cost $600 every 9 months this procedure cost $2500 and last for life time. Not to mention it eliminated my whiskers (see the pics where I pull my lips together, no lines)
ZIZI, Your doctor is really a perfectionist in every way. Your columella is perfectly centered between your philtrum columns. I just saw a picture of another liplift where it was very obvious that the doctor did not center the columella with the philtrum columns, it was pulled to the side. I have seen that happen before when the muscle is manipulated. I was told by another surgeon that I saw, that sometimes it can be hard to center a manipulated muscle. Anyway, you look beautiful. I am so thrilled for you!!
Dear Sarah, your observation is soooo appreciated. I don't think Dr Niamtu was given enough credit here on RS, that's why I feel like it's an honor to met this wonderful man and write a review. He make his incision by laser. I posted a pic with his method of cutting. Last Saturday I went to Dr Eric J and he complement Dr N job. He said wow I'll never guess you had a lip lift. Isn't that amazing? Thank you for your kind words, Sarah, you're always a sweetheart. Love ya
Love your lips too!

Two months update

Hello beautiful friends. Yes here I am two months after a lip lift. For anyone that is worry that this surgery will change drastically your lips, I assure you that that's not the case. Last week I went to see Dr Joseph Eric in NJ and he complimented Dr Niamtu work. He said he won't know that i've had a lip lift. In a wee or so I will met face to face one of the lovely girl from RS and I cant wait to hear her opinion. She also want a lip lift and afraid that the scar is visible. Out of all the surgeries that I had this is the easiest one. No pain, quick recovery. I love it. I have received a lot of PM from girl that are considering my doctor for their lip lift but they have no RS reviews. I tried to answer all the questions, but I think I will never hear from them again. I was the first to write a review for Dr Niamtu here and I hope to see more to come as I am happy to see how such a small surgery can make such a huge difference. Thank you to all pm compliments ))
-:- Message from RealSelf staff -:-

Pics plz plz
Hi there! I sent you a message on July 1st. I have my pre op appt with Dr. Niamtu next week. If you have time could you please post pics? Thank you!
Richmond Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon