Only Wish I'd Done It Sooner - Michigan, MI

Like many, my story starts years ago after...

Like many, my story starts years ago after pregnancy and subsequent breastfeeding of two babies. Before having children my bra size was a 34-C. Afterwards, I wore a 34-B with a definite loss of breast tissue. My self-confidence in the bathing suit (and bedroom department) was diminished. I was lucky to consult with a very competent plastic surgeon who suggested 250 cc above the muscle saline implants. It was the era of "Baywatch" so of course I upped the ante to 305 cc implants. At the time, the bigger the better, right?! I had those implants for 24 years, during which only my husband and a couple of friends knew (but many questioned).

I never had any complications with this first set of implants but by age 49, I was ready for a change. I had gained a few pounds over the years and of course everything goes to your boobs. By this time I was barely fitting into a 36 D. I was also getting tired of friends' comments about their own aging (sagging) breasts at the same time wondering how mine were still so full and perky. I consulted with another P.C. (as previous one had since retired) regarding removal or downsizing. Like many other women, I was told that I didn't have much breast tissue and wouldn't be happy with the result. Scared, I made the decision to downsize and went with 175 cc (filled to 195) Mentor implants. Incidentally, in surgery the P.C. found that old left implant had been leaking. I thought something was going on because the shape had changed in that breast. A pre-surgery Mri would have saved me a few thousand. I was initially happy with the surgery and my new somewhat smaller look.

Now four years later, after gaining 25 more pounds (thanks menopause), and noticing a firmness in left breast that was never there before, it was time for these things to go. Also this breast was larger and there was an ache in it. I went to the same P.C. who again told me I wouldn't be happy and seemed very disappointed initially in my decision. Even required a follow-up appointment for me to think about it. Which I did for about 6 more months. At that time he told me I'd most likely have a B -C cup and would probably be very happy with my decision.

Well, March 19, 2013 was my removal date. Beforehand I can attest to going through all the emotions that I have read about on this site. How will they look? Will everyone know? Will I go through a depression over this? Will my husband still be attracted to me? I think that's only normal for every woman. My answers: good, no, no and yes. :)

The day of surgery I felt a calm which is not my normal pre-surgery state. I was ready. My implants were removed through aeriolar incision under a light general anesthesia. P.S. did implant removal with slight capsulectomy, no lift. I only took two pain pills during my entire recovery because I anticipated discomfort. Honestly though I had no breast or incision pain. My only issue was constipation (so ladies be prepared). I obeyed P.C.'s instructions not to overdue or lift too much weight. I wear a sports bra provided by my P.S. at night and the Genie bra during the day. (pictures coming in the future). At week 1-2, I had some of bruising and the incisions felt quite firm. Surprisingly, so far I would say my breasts are a size B-C. Of course I don't have the upper pole volume as before. My right breast is slightly dented in at the top and gets wrinkly if I raise my arm up. Hopefully that'll change in time. They could still shrink. I'm hoping to lose some weight for the summer and I'm sure then my breasts will get smaller. Still I absolutely love the look and feel of natural breasts. Clothes shopping is a heck of alot more fun too.

Let me say that getting my implants removed has been pivotal. I almost feel as if I have a do-over in life. I feel "real" for the first time in almost 30 years.
I want to thank all the wonderful women on this site who have shared their stories. You are inspirational. I have to believe that it's a movement that as begun. Hopefully, women of the future will be happy with their natural selves.

I've been having a down period....questioning what I know is the right thing to do. I know deep inside of my heart removal is the best for my health...so thank you so much for your story and the photos... I'm back on track!xx p.s if my boobs look somewhat like your new real boobies it will be a bonus:-)x

Thanks so much for sharing your inspirational story! I loved reading it.

Thank you so much Angiemcc. This site is a blessing to all.
Jo2012, I enjoyed your honesty and grace in telling the rest of us how your ex plantation went, felt, & my favorite thing you said, "I almost feel as if I have a do over in life." Thank you for your story dear. I'm scheduled for explant & capsulectomy April 29th. I pray I can say too how pivotal & "real"
Thank you nonfatblonde. Telling my story was easy as this site inspires honesty. I will also pray for you to experience a quick recovery and the best results.
Thank you LuvRealBoobsinOR. I had been meaning to start writing before my surgery but was too busy reading everyone else's stories.
I can so relate to your story! Age, menopause, weight gain and many other factors and realities happed during life that causes our needs and wants change! I no longer WANT to be this big! I don't find it "sexy" anymore, it is more "matronly" at my age and who wants that? I am active, work full time, have many indoor and outdoor hobbies and just am tired of "catering" to these big bags! Like everyone has said, you can't buy clothing easily and I just feel like it makes me look so much heavier! I have a small frame which is pretty much hidden behind these huge hooters that get all the attention. I think I am READY. I wish I didn't have to wait until June 5 but I do. Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts and experience on this, I have so many of the same feelings! Please stay in touch with this site and let us ll know your progress!
Going for consultation Mon, 22nd. I would like a mini TT, love handles gone and small boobs....yes, matronly is the word.....and I don't like it....so hopefully I will be changing it.....have no idea when my doc can do it....but I'll keep in touch. God Bless and good luck on June 5th, I'll be praying for all to go well.... angelface !
Thank you Nanaat65 for all your kind words. I know exactly how you feel because matronly was the word I used to describe my bust. After menopause, etc., it is surprising how much of our own breast tissue we actually have. I could never wear a button up shirt before. Now I can. In fact, the problem I have with shopping since my surgery is that I find too many shirts that actually fit (and don't make me look humongous). Believe me, I had a case of "the nerves" in the weeks before surgery. I came close to cancelling my surgery many times, thinking I just wasn't ready. I'm so glad that I didn't cancel as my self image is experiencing a re-birth. Hang in there and keep reading all the inspirational postings on this site. June 5 will be here before you know it and all will go well.
P.S. Nanaat65. I feel sexier now than I have in a long time. :)
You look wonderful. I just love the Genie bras they are comfy.
Thank you nomoreplastic. The Genie bras are the terrific. I have yet to try on any band/cup type of bras. I tried on all my old bras and they gaped too much at the top so they all had to go. I'm letting everything settle and probably after month 2 will do some bra shopping. Still loving being smaller and all natural.
That was just one of the nicest reviews ever! So inspiring, I am less than a week away and getting to the anxious part. Your results are just beautiful - congratulations.
Thanks so much Back to Just Me. Believe me, it's only natural to have a rollercoaster of emotions in the time leading up to surgery. I know that reading the stories from the wonderful (and honest) women on this site gave me the courage to go ahead. It's quite a sisterhood here and there is great comfort in that. Good luck to you next week. I will pray for your quick recovery and the best results.
Jo2012 I can totally relate! I too have had the menopause weight gain, but not enough to make a difference in my breast size. I think the hormonal changes contributed to that. Either way, I am so glad to be rid of the 'not-so-fun-bags'! I am two weeks post op today :) I hope you post more pix as the time goes by. I'd like to see your progress, as I'm sure many women in our age group would. I plan to most more pix of my progress soon as well.
Hi SR1207. Isn't it funny that when we got the implants didn't really think about what it'd be like as we aged (I'm 54). I'm glad that you're also happy with your decision. I will post more pictures as time goes on. I need to have hubby take some updated side pics.
How wonderful your experience has been, and how inspiring to those of us waiting in the wings. This gives me a sense of calm about my own surgery coming three weeks from Monday.
Thank you Explanting Texan for your kind words. I owe a big thank you to all the wonderful women who shared their stories on this site. They allowed me feel confident in my decision to have my implants removed. Three weeks will go by quickly and the inspirational stories here will help. God bless.
So happy for you, I have consult with PS 4/22.. For explant of boobs I've had since 1974. They are saline, never had one bit of trouble but weight has Fluctuated over the years and they are big but sagging. It will be so nice to get my "lil cuties back" and I'll look thinner. Clothes will be easier to buy. I hope and pray my experience will be as positive as yours. God bless and thanks for sharing. Angelface1
Thank you angelface!. Best luck with your consult. Go in there assuming that the Dr. will try to discourage an explant vs. new implants but trust your inner voice. Wasn't it a blessing finding this web site?
Lovely results! Congrats on being natural again! :-)
Thank you NervousGirlie. It's a wonderful feeling.
Beautiful review, congratulations!